Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! JANUARY-FEBRUARY 2019

Message 11 of 253

@MsStretch 

You might be right on core strength and balance during 41 mph winds I finlly finished that Joy an hour ago. Have been excercising every 30 minutes since 2pm,, just finished at 9:30p.

Shoveled out 30 foot long x 4 foot wide x 7 foot down path for oilman, atop  12 foot pile.

-16* F outside with 41 mph gusts my cell tower went down to 171 mph gust on Mt. Washington. I may be going dark for awhile.Only stove  piped once, extricated by shoveling up.

Left shovel and steps for oil man, just in case of trouble. Expect sleep soon, typing my missive that didn't send from cell.Still prefer cell to laptop, except tonight.

Froze

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 253

@2Papa wrote:

Are you kidding?  I love winter.  The colder the better.  I wish it would snow again and soon.   Enjoyed shoveling snow after our last ten inch blizzard.  It’s great excercise.  It’s great when you step in a snow drift and the snow goes down in your boot and soaks your socks.  I’m planning on making a snowman as soon as my back recovers from being wrenched from the last one I made.  I also love the water raining into the living room from the ice dams on the roof.  Kinda like having your own waterfall.  I also like the looks of the lawn in the spring where the salt killed the grass and left a brown border.  Ouch!  -#*&@=/. I just stepped on a sharp piece of rock salt that somehow got into my boot which caused me to jump around and fall on the ice and I heard something crack! Ahhhh, you just can’t beat winter!

Don't forget the benefits of ice.  It's great for honing balance skills.  If you're looking for a challenge, add in some gusty polar vortex winds to increase the difficulty.  Ice is also optimal for stretching those stiff muscles.  Leg goes one way; other leg stretches in opposite direction.  Amazing the number of muscles you can target.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 253

@catwoman500   You poor thing, I know wind can be scary.  At least you did not fall!  I ws caught in a wind episode when I was 6 years old, I will never forget the feeling.  Had difficulty opening the gate to the yard.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 253

@2Papa 

I’d enjoy a 10” snowfall blizzard, it’s the 3’ and 18” one with temps in the -20’s such as tonight that is making me restless.

That and I need to ensure woodstove keeps going as I type by candlelight, actually led battery powered lamp.

Power seems to have gone bye bye, for an unknown length of time. Makes me dream of a beach somewhere, shouldn’t take more than a week to lose my pasty complexion.

Only thing tanned? Is called windburn 40 mph from shoveling that pesky snow plowed in by the rascally snow plow guy, AGAIN. All 100” this year over and over and over again.

Hope your back recovers soon, to enjoy the 18-24” coming on Sunday if you live in the Northeast Corridor.🤣

Invest In Sorel’s Thicker soles, heavy felt liners you won’t notice rock salt or tree branches plunging into your flesh. And curious why you weren’t wearing a pair of bibs tucked in your boots.🤣

Froze

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 253

Are you kidding?  I love winter.  The colder the better.  I wish it would snow again and soon.   Enjoyed shoveling snow after our last ten inch blizzard.  It’s great excercise.  It’s great when you step in a snow drift and the snow goes down in your boot and soaks your socks.  I’m planning on making a snowman as soon as my back recovers from being wrenched from the last one I made.  I also love the water raining into the living room from the ice dams on the roof.  Kinda like having your own waterfall.  I also like the looks of the lawn in the spring where the salt killed the grass and left a brown border.  Ouch!  -#*&@=/. I just stepped on a sharp piece of rock salt that somehow got into my boot which caused me to jump around and fall on the ice and I heard something crack! Ahhhh, you just can’t beat winter!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 253

Afternoon delightful 17*, storm has ended , now for the winds.

@bgsdaughter 

Born in a blizzard here. On birthday I spent mine in front of the woodstove, with a dog at my feet think it was -28*. No doubt it was another blizzard that kept me in. And a small jug of Chimay ale, made by Belgium Trappists.

@n566192l

I’m set a stack , of Benjamin’s for Chelli would be nice. 😇

I’m getting better at making food last, Think it’s the desire not to leave house when the gales blow through.

Somewhere on my street is my flashing from bay window, or it could be in Upton hit by 45 mph gale last night or morning.

Need to shovel Chell’s walk no longer a run, then take a walk.

Spikes will be deployed on cane.

Think it might be brisk later need to do now. High winds called for tonight 50mph.

@LaDolceVita 

If you have a cell smart or otherwise you could subscribe to 

http://www.emergencyemail.org/addstate.asp

Aarp may strip the website don’t know. Alerts to phone or computer on food recalls, weather, medicine, etc. FREE!

I joined them back in 2000, when working elsewhere and traveling.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 253

Hi, All,

Sunny and 36 here, feeling like 25 because of the wind. I went out for breakfast with a friend this morning and I can honestly say that was the scariest wind I have ever been in, in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming out the door of the diner, I truly didn’t think I was going to get to my car without being pushed to the ground. Then I had to stand there for at least 45 seconds and hold onto the car before I could try to open the door. I was really scared! Once I got in the car, of course I was safe. At home, there was wind, but nothing horrific like that! I’m wondering if the diner, being across from an empty airfield had anything to do with the wind just sweeping right across the highway to the restaurant. That was wild! Cat Surprised

Earlier this morning I had to walk down the street to bring back my errant trash can and lid. Just hoping the power holds. Wind is supposed to subside later this evening. WOW! N.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 253

What bugs me most is my birthday is in Winter!  How do you celebrate when there is a Polar Vortex or a snow forecast of 20 inches?  I was born in a huge snowstorm so I guess that is how it goes!

Anywy, Winter is giving you the blues?  As long as I am inside and the storm stays outside, a good hot cup of cocoa with marshmallows (or better yet, whipped cream!) will warm you up.  Pair it with a nice lap cover, a good book, or movie, and Winter will seem miles away!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 253

I am new here. Curious. To the one called Lighthouse Keeper, is that what you truly get to do? Kelly

Kelly Morgan
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 253

@n566192l  @Frozenoem  The information overload sometimes becomes so great that I sometimes ignore newsletters and even warnings in my mailbox.  However I pay attention to my friends here so it does help if you spread the word.

Another beautiful day reminiscent of Camelot.  Willl be low 60s and sunshine.  Folks in the east and midwest, your time is coming.

Kudos
Views