Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Beekeeping

I'm currently enrolled in Bee School with my county's Beekeepers Association. At the end of our classes, we'll take a test to become a Certified Beekeeper. It's been very interesting learning all about honeybees. 

Are there any beekeepers here?

Kudos
Views
Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment ๐Ÿ‘‰(12/25/22) Any updates on your beekeeping @santaboba ? Thanks, Nicole 

Regular Contributor

Hi, @Anonymous! Thanks for asking. I became a certified beekeeper last spring and have one healthy hive. I lost my second hive due to pests (hive beetles and wax moths), but plan to get more bees this coming spring to replace them. I've learned a lot during my first year of beekeeping and enjoy the process.

Contributor

My wife and I are beekeepers in South Arkansas. We have been keeping bees at varying levels for 5 or 6 years. We find it fascinating.

Regular Contributor

That's wonderful, @lesliek279823! They're such fascinating creatures. Watching them brings me much joy. 

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I would love to find more info on this and move to a bee-friendly area (currently in NV; too hot here, I've been advised). Please share your knowledge?

Thank you in advance!

#SaveUkraine

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Contributor

how about Colorado springs

Conversationalist

I'm not a beekeeper but we had bees when I was growing up. My father had three hives in our front yard. In the spring, some of the bees would leave the hives and then swarm and then usually cling to a tree branch which was neat to see. Growing up around them, somehow, rather than getting used to bees, I was always afraid of them, though I don't believe I have ever been stung by a honey bee.

Regular Contributor

I haven't been stung by any. They're actually quite gentle as long as they don't feel like you're threatening them. My kids and I will even let them climb onto their hands when we find them around the backyard away from the hives.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

We had a pear tree growing up and I stepped on them several times ๐Ÿ˜ž Ouch!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP