Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Cost of membership

So I decided to become a member today. The charge was supposed to be $12. Does anyone know why AARP charged my account $63??? 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I recently took advantage of a membership discount offer for three years, however my card was charged the full price.  Wondering it is is a common problem. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@RhondaL181577 Hi Rhonda, thank you for joining our family! The membership fee is $16 per year and we occasionally have discounted offers to join or renew; such as the offer of $12 for your first year of Automatic Renewal membership. Our membership fee for the 5 year term is $63; that is the term that was selected when you processed your payment. Please give us a call for further assistance 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277).

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RhondaL181577,

I don't know why they charged you $63. Even if you signed up for 5 years, that would still only be $60.

But here is what I suggest.

Negotiate your membership fee with AARP. I did that about three and a half years ago and paid $31 for five years of membership. That is $6.25 a year, about half of what you thought you were paying.

I negotiate any subscription services be they memberships like AARP, magazines(I get Time Magazine on a weekly basis for a total of $30 for three full years or $10 a year), satellite radio(I negotiated a yearly subscription at HALF of what they tried to bill me), and, of course, my local newspaper(I negotiated half price here too).

You'll save yourself money be negotiating.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP