Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers

Message 61 of 70

Please,please do not discontinue Silver Sneakers. With all the talk from AARP about keeping fit and healthy as you age this is such a vital program. Most of us on fixed incomes can not afford to pay for Membership to a health club. I hope those who have a say will reconsider this choice. Some things are more important than the dollar!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 70

I,too, am very unhappy about losing Silver Sneakers under the AARP United Health Plan and, after calling the insurance company, feel that I have NO ALTERNATIVE but to change plans. I trusted this plan because AARP was willing to put their name on it and now I find the organization is not as concerned about senior health as I thought. When I called United Health they said “most companies are dropping Silver Sneaker, for many reasons”. My assumption is that it all boils down to $$$!  The only gym in our area of coastal California, offering the United Health Care plan of service, is very small and has no pool. Very sad and disappointed AARP!  Please DO SOMETHING!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 70

The Silver Sneakers program was also discontinued in Ohio by United Healthcare effective 1/1/2019.  I've used this program religiously in the five years I've been eligible for Medicare and consider it the most important benefit of my supplemental insurance, second to the medical coverage itself.  Why discontinue a program that allows us seniors a wonderfully cost effective way to take care of ourselves by joining our local health club or YMCA for free?  It seems to me that discontinuing this program will result in increased healthcare costs for the insurance companies.  I would expect AARP to push back severely to United Healthcare if AARP really cares about senior health.  Does anyone from AARP read these posts?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 70
where can I go for silver sneakers in crescent springs ky
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 70

We are sorry to learn about the difficulty you’re having with Silver Sneakers and would like to offer our assistance.  Please email  us at member@aarp.org or call us at 888-687-2277 so we can get some additional details and work with Silver Sneakers to try to resolve your issue.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 70

I just joined AARP and bought United HealthCare for one reason: to get the Silver Sneakers program.  I had done my homework thoroughly and asked all the right questions and gotten the right answers.  I got mountains of rmaterial in the mail including a slick publication telling me how to enroll in Silver Snerakers.  When I tried I was told online that I was ineligible.  I called and was advised they have terminated the program in Kentucky because not enough people used it.   

Needless to say I am VERY irritated with both AARP and UNITED HEALTHCARE.  I have been lied to.  They would have know this when I was enrolling.  Shame on you AARP.  Make this right for your members.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 70

One of our reasons for picking AARP is because of the Silver Sneakers benefit.  Where can I find information about the program and whether it is continuing in Washington state?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 70

@JerryOrmes wrote:

I live in Kentucky and just received a noticce the AARP is dropping the Silver Sneakers program soon. I can only assume that my monthly fees will reduce by the amount of the current gym monthly charges.

OR maybe they won't go up as much.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 70

I live in Kentucky and just received a noticce the AARP is dropping the Silver Sneakers program soon. I can only assume that my monthly fees will reduce by the amount of the current gym monthly charges.

I also hope they get enough response from members to reverse this decision, this is really good program and it would be a shame to not have it for the okder folks.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Silver Sneakers

Message 70 of 70

I live in California and am covered by Medi-Cal. Is there anyone that has experienced any coverage problems?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.

Top Authors