Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Silver Sneakers

I live in California and am covered by Medi-Cal. Is there anyone that has experienced any coverage problems?

0 Kudos

One of our reasons for picking AARP is because of the Silver Sneakers benefit.  Where can I find information about the program and whether it is continuing in Washington state?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thankfully Blue Shield of CA still supports Silver Sneakers benefits. United Health Care will be subsidizing a dumb gym membership w/out the beneficial, special Silver Sneakers classes for seniors. 

0 Kudos

I live in Kentucky and just received a noticce the AARP is dropping the Silver Sneakers program soon. I can only assume that my monthly fees will reduce by the amount of the current gym monthly charges.

I also hope they get enough response from members to reverse this decision, this is really good program and it would be a shame to not have it for the okder folks.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JerryOrmes wrote:

I live in Kentucky and just received a noticce the AARP is dropping the Silver Sneakers program soon. I can only assume that my monthly fees will reduce by the amount of the current gym monthly charges.

OR maybe they won't go up as much.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

I just joined AARP and bought United HealthCare for one reason: to get the Silver Sneakers program.  I had done my homework thoroughly and asked all the right questions and gotten the right answers.  I got mountains of rmaterial in the mail including a slick publication telling me how to enroll in Silver Snerakers.  When I tried I was told online that I was ineligible.  I called and was advised they have terminated the program in Kentucky because not enough people used it.   

Needless to say I am VERY irritated with both AARP and UNITED HEALTHCARE.  I have been lied to.  They would have know this when I was enrolling.  Shame on you AARP.  Make this right for your members.

Contributor

The Silver Sneakers program was also discontinued in Ohio by United Healthcare effective 1/1/2019.  I've used this program religiously in the five years I've been eligible for Medicare and consider it the most important benefit of my supplemental insurance, second to the medical coverage itself.  Why discontinue a program that allows us seniors a wonderfully cost effective way to take care of ourselves by joining our local health club or YMCA for free?  It seems to me that discontinuing this program will result in increased healthcare costs for the insurance companies.  I would expect AARP to push back severely to United Healthcare if AARP really cares about senior health.  Does anyone from AARP read these posts?

I agree with you completely. I chose this plan specifically because it offered Silver Sneakers. My doctor had recommended a water excercise program for me. I have been coming to the classes for awhile now and they have done amazing things for my back. I don't want to lose this and I don't think that there is another facility in the area where I can swim at a reasonable price. This is a BAD decision on the part of United Health Care/AARP!!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I agree!  I'm meeting with my rep next week.  Was signing up with AARP.  Now, I'm not sure!  I use my Silver Sneakers program a lot!  So disappointed in this decision if it is true.  Now I have to rethink what insurance to go with!  Seniors should NOT have to deal with all this crap.

Regular Contributor

This is very disappointing.  There must be other health plans still offering Silver Sneakers in 2019.  Unfortunately the Silver Sneakers website isn't up-to-date on this issue as they still list United Health from AARP as a Silver Sneakers provider! 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Update: โ€Ž10-30-2018 03:20 PM
Anthem Blue Cross' (Innovative) Plan F in California includes Silver Sneakers in 2019, but (rates being based on age) it would cost me about $50 MORE per month than the AARP-UHC Plan F.
0 Kudos
Contributor

That is why I am changing from the AARP UHC medigsap plan to thre Medical Mutual Plan. Not only is Silver Sneakers included but the rate is substantially less for the identical plan.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I,too, am very unhappy about losing Silver Sneakers under the AARP United Health Plan and, after calling the insurance company, feel that I have NO ALTERNATIVE but to change plans. I trusted this plan because AARP was willing to put their name on it and now I find the organization is not as concerned about senior health as I thought. When I called United Health they said โ€œmost companies are dropping Silver Sneaker, for many reasonsโ€. My assumption is that it all boils down to $$$!  The only gym in our area of coastal California, offering the United Health Care plan of service, is very small and has no pool. Very sad and disappointed AARP!  Please DO SOMETHING!

Please,please do not discontinue Silver Sneakers. With all the talk from AARP about keeping fit and healthy as you age this is such a vital program. Most of us on fixed incomes can not afford to pay for Membership to a health club. I hope those who have a say will reconsider this choice. Some things are more important than the dollar!!!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are sorry to learn about the difficulty youโ€™re having with Silver Sneakers and would like to offer our assistance.  Please email  us at member@aarp.org or call us at 888-687-2277 so we can get some additional details and work with Silver Sneakers to try to resolve your issue.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos

where can I go for silver sneakers in crescent springs ky
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP