Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 221 of 666
It only tells you what companies are contracted with Silver Sneakers in 2018. So, that information is only good for another 10 days or so. It would have been nice if there was was a list of companies that are contracted with Silver Sneakers for 2019 posted before the open enrollment deadline earlier this month.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 222 of 666

ChadM736467-the link only shows the Insurance Companies by State that offer Silver Sneakers RIGHT NOW. 

It does NOT show us who will be offering Silver Sneakers beginning January 1, 2019.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 223 of 666
Goodbye AARP. Goodbye UHC.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 224 of 666

Silver Sneakers also provides online support welness coaching, in addition to gym memberships and special senior classes. 

WHAT IS SILVERSNEAKERS?

SilverSneakers® is a comprehensive program that improves overall well-being, strength and social aspects. Designed for all levels and abilities, this program is generally provided by your health plan at no additional cost. SilverSneakers provides access to fitness equipment, group exercise classes, social networking, online education and a sense of community. With more than 15,000 locations nationwide, you can visit any one of our locations at any time.

WHAT’S INCLUDED?

• Access to fitness equipment
• Specially-designed, signature exercise classes for all fitness levels**
• Pools, tennis courts and walking tracks**
• 15,000+ fitness and community locations nationwide (you can enroll at multiple locations)
• Social events in your community
• Online resources with nutrition and fitness tips

Silver Sneakers provides much more comprehensive health/fitness benefits, than the new UHC program!  When I called UHC about Silver Sneakers being dropped in California, I was told it was due to low participation in California.  I find that hard to believe.  I would like some transparency from UHC in sharing the actual 2018 California Silver Sneakers participation data.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 225 of 666

What about this link doesn't work?  Just enter your state in the drop-down on the destination page and you'll get a list of companies contracted with SilverSneakers:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/HealthPlans

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 226 of 666
Teri, the information supplied by your link shows us which companies are offering Silver Sneakers for the next 10 days or so. I've written them an asked them to post a list of companies that will be offering Silver Sneakers in 2019. Hopefully, we'll be able to see a 2019 list soon.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 227 of 666

"Let them eat cake"

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 228 of 666

Please see my post - https://community.aarp.org/t5/Medicare-Insurance/AARP-Medicare-Plan-and-Silver-Sneakers/m-p/2064960#... regarding AARP and Silver Sneakers.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 229 of 666
Yes indeed - Blue Shield have not refused cover, in fact they said that I was "on track" for coverage starting Jan 1st 2019. However, they seem to want my replies to go via underwriting, should they refuse coverage then I guess I can make a fuss. My birthday was 11/17/ - my application is dated 12/4, open enrollment ended 12/7
Geoff
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 230 of 666

Yes I know.  Unlike California, there is no law in my state that allows one to switch supplemental plans within a period of 30 days after your birthday without going through underwriting.  I've switched my UHC supplemental  plan F to Aetna G (underwriting required)  and adding in next year's Part B deductible of $185.00 I'm able to pay my wife's and my gym expenses ($600 annually at LA Fitness - 1.5 miles from my house) and still save $115.00 a year. (As of yet I've not developed any medical issues.) That way I'm not at the mercy of an insurance company that decides that a gym membership is no longer viable for the company's bottom line. I also switched us from our UHC drug plan that was costing us $83.00 a month each to a UHC Walgreens plan. Yes, still UHC but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. The UHC Walgreens plan saves me $1400 annually. We've had these UHC plans for 12/11 years. I'm 77 and my wife is 76. With me leaving UHC my wife's UHC Plan F rates were increased by $11.00 a month so that reduces my savings to $1,268 annually.

My wife has developed some medical issues since she joined Medicare in 2007 and if course she also has to go through underwriting. (All other insurance companies other than UHC refused to accept her application) I did that with UHC and she filled out the paperwork for Plan G to begin 1/1/19. 2 weeks later I received a letter from UHC that they placed her on Plan G but....the premium was increased from her Plan F premium to the new G premium by 45%. Soooo, I called UHC and told them that was completely stupid to pay more for less so I had them cancel the new Plan G. I had 30 days to cancel...thank goodness. Hello! 

So I'm still saving over $1,200 annually with my own Aetna Plan G (start next month) and my wife remaining with UHC Plan F (not much choice with hers) and our new drug plan, so that's good. I love it when the kids talk about "free Medicare" for all. What a hoot.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors