AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 241 of 664

I AM FURIOUS!!! I GOT THE FIRST NOTIFICATION OF THIS THREE DAYS AFTER THE DEADLINE. ON AN ENVELOPE STATING: "New services available January 1, 2019". WHICH TURNS OUT TO BE DISCONTINUING SILVER SLIPPERS!!! AND PAYING 50% OF REGULAR PRICES FOR HEALTH CLUB MEMBERSHIP.

I am definitely not happy about losing Silver Sneakers, not happy about a raise in my premiums, not happy about the cutting back of services while charging me more, and then AARP not standing up to defend keeping all of the Silver Sneakers program! 

Since AARP is dropping silverslippers, I will be dropping AARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEVER RECEIVED NOTIFICATION OF THIS BEFORE THE DEADLINE AS THEY FALSELY CLAIM IN THIS DISGUSTING LETTER.!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 242 of 664

There is a Petition being signed to lobby for AARP to keep Silver Sneakers from the American Diabetes Foundation

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/661/218/540/aarp-uhc-dropping-support-of-silver-sneakers-for-2019/

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 243 of 664

My wife and I both received the letter from UHC about dropping the Silver Sneakers Program on January 1, 2019 and replacing it with a 50% dues discount to the gym and making available some internal programs within UHC.  I have been on the AARP Medicare Supplement by UHC since January 1, 2018 and my wife started her supplement on November 1, 2018.  Neither of us received any letters that the Silver Sneaker Program would be discontinued for member in CA, and the agent that sold my wife's policy to her was not aware that the program was to be discontinued two months after her coverage began. The letter from UHC was received after the closure of the open enrollment period. We are now stuck with a program that we do not want for another 12 month period.  This action is most unethical and should be examined by AARP.  Perhaps AARP can re-evaluate the contract with UHC and place its members with a carrier who truly cares about the overall well-being of its subscribers.  I believe that the AARP Directors need to address this problem to the members as soon as possible.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 244 of 664

I want to add my voice to those angry about this. I am also one of the ones who opted to go with United Healthcare due, in large part, to Silver Sneakers. I also did not receive the September mailing so am just learning about this. The difference in what AARP purports to value and what they actually support concerns me greatly.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 245 of 664

I will be cancelling my membership in AARP and hope that I can find an alternative supplementary insurance policy here in Pennsylvania to replace United Health Care.  Once again, AARP demonstrates its total lack of concern/interests for its members.

Ed Gragert

Milford PA

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 246 of 664

California has the birthday rule. Which means on you birthday you can switch to another company without going to underwriting.  I will be switching in January to Blue Shield who still offers Silver Sneakers.  At which time I will also drop my AARP membership. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 247 of 664

I am upset that AARP is dropping silver sneakers 

So I am switching my supplimental insurance to Blue shield of California starting January 2019

It was a dumb move by AARP. 

BY BY AARP

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 248 of 664

I am definitely not happy about losing Silver Sneakers, not happy about a raise in my premiums, not happy about the cutting back of services while charging me more, and then AARP not standing up to defend keeping all of the Silver Sneakers program! Don’t ask me for any more donations! I don’t want a wellness coach, a registered nurse to call, videos, etc. I want Silver Sneakers and not at half price, either! What a shady deal announcing all this after the open enrollment deadline. It’s like you all bait people to enroll with you, then you screw folks who are on a fixed income. Health care insurance in America is getting to be a real joke. It’s a bait and steal game and seniors are the ones left holding an empty bag!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 249 of 664

I already have checked and know that the Medical Mutual plan will be quite a bit less expensive even before I factor in the Silver Sneakers issue.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 250 of 664

Medical Mutual of Ohio did this in direct response to the actions taken by AARP anf UHC.  That is one of the reasons they extended the offer until later next year.  I plan on switching early next year after I see how everything falls out with the AARP UHC fiasco.  My insurance advisor told me he gets about 10 calls every day on this subject.  I really hope this hits them on the bottom line, that is all they care about.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors