Introducing the Problem-Solving Strategy Challenge, the latest interactive brain exercise from Staying Sharp! Get started now.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 231 of 663

Geoff,

You state that you are "within" 30 days of your birthday.  California law is very specific on this but it is 30 day period after your birthday!.  IF Blue Shield is violating this statute, immediately call your agent AND call the CA Department of Insurance!

The Guranteed Issue Period is found in the Califonia Insurance Code - Section 10192.11 (h)(1).  The bottom line is that within the 30 day period AFTER your birthday each year, you CAN change to a Medicare supplement polcy of the same or lesser benefit and the insurance company cannot deny coverage!

(h) (1) An individual shall be entitled to an annual open enrollment period lasting 30 days or more, commencing with the individual’s birthday, during which time that person may purchase any Medicare supplement policy that offers benefits equal to or lesser than those provided by the previous coverage. During this open enrollment period, no issuer that falls under this provision shall deny or condition the issuance or effectiveness of Medicare supplement coverage, nor discriminate in the pricing of coverage, because of health status, claims experience, receipt of health care, or medical condition of the individual if, at the time of the open enrollment period, the individual is covered under another Medicare supplement policy or contract. An issuer shall notify a policyholder of his or her rights under this subdivision at least 30 and no more than 60 days before the beginning of the open enrollment period.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 232 of 663

They are with the Renew Active program now. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 233 of 663

My final comment on this.  It was the gym that I go to that first drew my attention to this, so Kudos to them, I called UHC twice, the first time they told me it was not planned to withdraw Silver Sneakers, the second time they said it was - confusing.  Two weeks later after the enrollment period I got the "too late letter"...

I filled out the online application to Blue Shield for their plan F extra, that all went OK.  However despite my application being made within the enrollment period AND within 30 days of my birthday AND living in California - Blue Shield still tell me my application has to go through Underwriting.

Go figure,

Geoff

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 234 of 663

I am doing the same. I started doing research and stumbled across this guy on youtube. If you haven't found anything yet I would watch this video. Very informative

https://youtu.be/Ug_BMbO6TKk

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 235 of 663

"And I strongly recommend that you find another agent.  The original agent who sold me on the United Heath Care Plan F says that she sells other plans but she was utterly useless on this issue.  In fact, she really pushes NOT changing.  Well, I found another agent and we're working on changing right now.  Good luck! "

Exactly our experience.  I felt like a thorn in the side of my agent, made worse by us having moved to a new county.  I found a new agent that immediately understood our issues and was very conversant about our options. I got thorough explanations for everything and learned more than I have in the past 4 years of dealing with this.  And we ended up signing up for dental insurance too.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 236 of 663

I always appreciated my AARP membership because I enjoy the magazine.  Other than that, we use the Denny's discount.  My decision to go with them for the medical supplement was because my primary criteria was Silver Sneakers, they offered it and I had seen my husband's Blue Shield policy (also chosen for Silver Sneakers and, then, because they had been our insurer for years) going up in price.  Last March we switched him to UHC also and probably would have kept it that way with little thought.  

Ironically, I had no "warm fuzzies" for AARP because of their association with UHC.  But now I sure have bad feelings for AARP and will probably show it by not renewing either of our memberships when they come due.  And now we will both go back to Blue Shield and even save a little money while we keep our Silver Sneakers.  I wonder if AARP every asked any of their members what was important to them in selecting insurance.  And I wonder if they will even experience some backlash from some people that don't care about Silver Sneakers but also see that AARP has not served us well.  Years of hard work building trust can be lost very easily.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 237 of 663

g89616c - 

You need to do MORE researh as you are NOT stuck!

1.  According to your posting, you are on a Medicare Supplement plan - NOT an "Advantage" (HMO) plan.  That means that you can change the plan at ANY TIME during the year.  The only potential issue that you might have to go through Underwriting where they look at your medical records.

2.  And even if you have major major medical issues, you live or it appears that you live in California!  That means that you have the right to change Medicare Supplement plans during the 30 days after your birthday WITHOUT going through Underwriting.  I posted the actual Statute on this.

3.  And applying NOW and getting turned down by Underwriting will NOT affect your ability to change plans during the 30 day period after your birthday!

And I strongly recommend that you find another agent.  The original agent who sold me on the United Heath Care Plan F says that she sells other plans but she was utterly useless on this issue.  In fact, she really pushes NOT changing.  Well, I found another agent and we're working on changing right now.  Good luck!   

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 238 of 663

I think it comes down to poor common sense or greed on the part of United Healthcare and either laziness or ignorance on the part of AARP.  Anyone with half a brain knows that charging more and giving less is a good way to lose customers.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, my guess is that the business weenies at United Healthcare told themselves that this will increase their profits and their customers either won't notice or won't care.  They're willing to wave goodby to their customers who do notice and do care and maybe it makes financial sense for them to do so.

Since AARP is telling us we can trust United Healthcare to provide good service they should have had the foresight to anticipate that their members would unhappy if their benefits are reduced and kept this from happening by writing a contract that prohibits United Healthcare from doing so.  If they had we wouldn't be having this discussion.  AARP has some skin in the game because their name is on the product.  Any ill will that is generated by United Healthcare is likely to rub off on them.  People who choose to leave United Healthcare may also decide to leave AARP.  Those of us who valued SilverSneakers feel AARP weren't looking out for our best interest.  The bottom line is that we trusted AARP and they let us down.

We may be a small minority of AARP-United Healthcare customers, small enough that neither AARP or United Healthcare feel we're worth worrying about.  If they can increase their bottom line profits by ditching SilverSneakers the beancounters at AARP and United Healthcare may still be smiling about the decisions they made.

Their decision to leave SilverSneakers may have been right for them, but it wasn't right for us.  In our minds they sold us one product and gave us another.

They lied to us.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 239 of 663

I really don't think AARP cares or we would be hearing something already.  If you are in California and have a supplement (not advantage plan), open enrollment doesn't apply.  You can change ANY time you want.  If you are within 30 days of your birthday you can change with no underwriting.  I'm guessing your birthday may be in January - if so, you should be able to switch by Feb even if you have medical issues.  I am guessing your wife just missed the opportunity to change under the Birthday Rule, but if she doesn't have any big medical issues, she could change right away.

You need to speak with a good insurance agent that specializes in this.  Different companies have different underwriting questions.  We limited our search to companies that offer Silver Sneakers because we travel some and wanted the flexibility of multiple gyms. Aside from that, Silver & Fit is probably a reasonable option too.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 240 of 663

I AM FURIOUS!!! I GOT THE FIRST NOTIFICATION OF THIS THREE DAYS AFTER THE DEADLINE. ON AN ENVELOPE STATING: "New services available January 1, 2019". WHICH TURNS OUT TO BE DISCONTINUING SILVER SLIPPERS!!! AND PAYING 50% OF REGULAR PRICES FOR HEALTH CLUB MEMBERSHIP.

I am definitely not happy about losing Silver Sneakers, not happy about a raise in my premiums, not happy about the cutting back of services while charging me more, and then AARP not standing up to defend keeping all of the Silver Sneakers program! 

Since AARP is dropping silverslippers, I will be dropping AARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEVER RECEIVED NOTIFICATION OF THIS BEFORE THE DEADLINE AS THEY FALSELY CLAIM IN THIS DISGUSTING LETTER.!!!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors