Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Optum RX - STAY AWAY

Message 41 of 51

FYI...Optum RX is part of the United Health Group so don't expect UnitedHealthCare to drop OptumRX.  Cigna also uses Optum.  Aetna does not.  Aetna has its own mail order service.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 51

I feel everyone's pain.  I have been in the AARP UnitedHealthCare plan for less than a month and will be so glad when the next open enrollment period opens.  I cannot believe all the hassles I have been going through this week with my very first prescription submitted by my doctor.  Web site doesn't work properly, order being held for my approval even though I approved it several times.  My credit card info is missing.  Representatives don't speak English very well.  I keep getting emails that my email address was changed....but I haven't changed it since I set up my account weeks ago.  I am waving the white flag and will move on to another company.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 51

I hope someone at AARP actually reads these comments. When a contracted company gets so many negative comments, it’s time to review the contract. It’s a pity when one cannot rely on an affiliation with AARP to provide quality.

I have used the AARP prescription discount program since 2005. AARP has changed its fulfilling pharmacy several times over the years, and most of them have been satisfactory. Not OptumRx. I will never order from this company again. For one thing, the web site does not function properly. I couldn’t even register, and I’m reasonably skillful with computers. But that problem pales in comparison to price gouging, unethical practices, and incompetent customer service.

On April 2, I called OptumRx to request a refill and was quoted a price of $29.98 for a 90-day supply – the same price I had been paying for a very long time. I was asked if I wished to use the credit card I had on file to pay this amount, and I said yes. A few days later, I went online to pay my credit card bill. There I saw the charge I was expecting, but right below it was another charge for $20.99. What is that, I wondered? I called OptumRx to inquire and immediately found it difficult to communicate with a surly, impatient rep. She finally referred me to a supervisor, who was much more pleasant but equally unhelpful. The supervisor said she needed to consult with other departments, making for a slow process and a long hold time. Finally she informed me that the price of the medication had gone up and that OptumRx had no control over that. She did apologize for the fact that I had been given no notice of the additional charge (which was not actually applied until two days after the original amount). The lack of notice deprived me of the opportunity to decline the refill, which I might well have done because the increase was so extreme and I was not in desperate need of replenishment.

Since I had not known of the additional charge and certainly did not authorize it, I turned to my credit card company for help. The card rep arranged for a conference call in order to try to resolve the issue. We waded through FIVE reps at OptumRx, one of whom finally managed to locate my account, but she flatly refused to issue a refund for the $20.99. It appears that OptumRx thinks it is okay to charge a customer for an amount the customer did not authorize. News flash: it is NOT okay EVER for anybody, anywhere, anytime, to charge a credit card without permission. The amount involved here is trivial, but the principle is huge.

Thank goodness this refill, which I did receive, was the last one on my current prescription. I will take my new prescription elsewhere. The AARP program is supposed to reduce consumer costs, not increase them. Compare the amount OptumRx says is my current copay, $50.97, with the cost at a local brick-and-mortar pharmacy, $29.95. Note that the local price is within three cents of the original quote from OptumRx. That cited “price increase” appears to have been no more than an excuse for stealing money. I think I hate a liar even more than a thief, but here we have both.

Judging by the efficiency of the customer service department, this company’s right hand doesn’t know what its left hand is doing. It seems far too likely, however, that sooner or later, one of them will be in your pocket.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 51

Cee

Wish I had done the same research you've completed but yes, I have since canceled Optum and reverted back to my local pharmacy.  Hopefully others will get this message so United Healthcare and AARP either drop Optum or force them to provide basic customer service.  Thanks for your note!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 51

Hi Sarah,

I keep getting all these almost threatening 'offers' to join Optum since I'm with United Healthcare, even though I've answered surveys, sent an e-mail, responded to phone calls, and even sent a letter via the USPS asking the solicitations to stop. I did this because about every other time I get an 'offer' I browse the internet to see if there are ANY recent good reviews on Optum. So far, its running 85% CON and only 15% PRO to use the service, so why should I join? I've stated that fact in all my communications to United Healthcare, but it hasn't seemed to do any good. I'm not sure if its a situation where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, UHC didn't do their due diligence in verifying Optum's accuracy and integrity in processing and filling prescriptions, or they just don't care.

As an informed consumer, its worth it to me to pay $6/each for 6 prescriptions every 90 days, or $144 annually at a local pharmacy to ensure I have the meds I need for several chronic medical conditions, instead of having to go through the stress of laissez-faire operators at a company who can't seem to process and delivery prescriptions as needed by chronically ill patients - even at supposedly $0 cost to me for all or most of my meds. (Another thing you can't find out unless you call one of the 2 different numbers I've been given over the last few year to call to sign-up for this 'wonderful' plan.)

How is it that AARP or United Healthcare can't seem to do anything about the slipshod way many patients' meds have been mishandled by this company?

While I don't always print out the invoice shown at the end of my ordering process, I do read it and jot down the total cost, order #, etc. to compare it with the e-mail confirmation I usually receive from the vendor within a few minutes of placing an online order. I then file the e-confirmation in a file folder until I receive the order, then compare the invoice enclosed with the order against the one in the e-mail.

Other replies about the process for dealing with your credit card company are correct. I usually spend about an hour printing out everything I have to back-up my narrative, then type exactly what happened when, with who, etc. in the body of the letter to the address shown on the back of my credit card statement for such complaints. It usually ends up being a 2 page letter with at least 2, to sometimes 4 other pages of attachments. I've done it at least 5 times over the 30 years I've had my one card. Each time they held the amount in limbo with no interest or fees accruing unless a resolution was made. Only in one instance did I end up having to pay the charged amount - approximately 3 months after it had first shown up on my statement.

I hope you have since cancelled your prescriptions at Optum and reverted to a local pharmacy.  I shopped around in my rural area and have to drive 30 minutes to get mine, but I will NEVER sign-up for Optum. If it becomes mandatory in order to stay with UHC, I guess I'll be checking Cigna, Humana, etc. in coming years.

Cee
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 51

I feel a moral obligation to make my criticsm constructive.  Stop being a sucker and use this free service:

https://www.goodrx.com

In my experience, only Walmart doesn't honor GoodRx coupons.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 51

@SarahH845050  We are sorry you had this experience with Optum.  We have escalated this internally and have asked them to look into this further.  You should receive a call from them in the next few days.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 51

@SarahH845050

Here are your answers:

OCC.gov - Help With My Bank - Credit Card Disputes FAQ

Of course,you do have to have some proof and provide it to the credit card company, with an explanation of the dispute.  The credit card company reverses payment to the vendor and leaves it in limbo until the dispute is resolved.  They act as middle men in the dispute resolution.  If you file your dispute in this specified manner, the charge in question does not age, nor are there any fees - interest or penalties during the time that the item is in dispute.

Since it seems that may not work for you now, you can always file a grievance with Medicare to document your complaint against OptumRX.

Medicare.gov - How to file a complaint (grievance) against your Prescription Drug plan

Like I said, I don't have dealings with OptumRX but your booklet of terms and conditions should specify your cost of the medications by tier level, deductible, TrOOP, place of purchase - etc.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 51

Ordered 11 meds at 1 time and all showed $0 co-pay.  I did not print this as I owed nothing.  Went back to website after reciept of credit card bill and only then did it show a $160 charge.  I tried disputing this creidt card charge with the bank but unless I have the before and after print-outs, they will do nothing but charge me fees for the "late" payment.  

Why would I pay a bill that I don't believe I owe?  I think you owe me $100.  If you disagree, send me the money and we'll talk about it when I have time.

I can understand paying fees and penalities if I refuse to pay a bill after the diespute is resolved even if the resultion is not in my favor.  I DO NOT agree with paying anything before then.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 51

@SarahH845050

There is an official manner which you have to file a dispute with your credit card company - it is a legislated procedure to preserve your rights as a consumer.  The procedure should be outlined by your credit card company on your statement or on their website - it tells you exactly the time limit to file, the address to send your disputed amount details and that the amount will be in limbo on your account until the dispute is resolved.

I believe if you have some proof from the Optum Rx website when you placed your order of the price that was shown and then filed an official dispute with your credit card company, you would have a good chance of recovery.

I don't use OptumRX but are you saying that when you place an order for an Rx with your account number/plan number that they don't give you a page confirming the order and the details like your price for it, where it is being shipped,when it will arrive, tracking info, etc.?

Now, this is the process for credit cards - NOT debit cards.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views