Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Medicare delaying Part B

Hello,

I'll be hitting 65 in a bit, retired and not collectiong SS.  I am currently covered under my spouses plan where she works and the company does have more than 20 employees. I'm under the impression that I don't have to do anything with Medicare in this situation, however there appears to be no reason to not apply for Part A since there are no premiums.  Will I have to show some proof of coverage regardless within the persiod provided in order to prevent any penalties later down the road ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

@ThomasT561081 

I think if you register for an account at mymedicare.gov

you can follow your registration and choices through the process and see your new Medicare card number when it is issued.  It would only show your current choice of Medicare Part A with the date of activation.

There is other info that you can also set up - like assignment of any other person that has the right to discuss your benefit with them.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

View solution in original post

Conversationalist

If you already have Medicare Part A and wish to sign up for Medicare Part B only, please complete form CMS 40-B, Application for Enrollment in Medicare - Part B (Medical Insurance), and take or mail it to your local Social Security office.

If you waived or delayed enrolling in Part B due to coverage from an employer group health plan, use form L564E to waive the late enrollment penalty.

You must submit both forms 40-B and L-564E to Social Security if filing late for B

You have the option of mailing the forms if you like, but I would never advise that. Murphy is alive and well and residing in SS, CMS and other govt offices.

I suggest going to an outlying SS office where the wait time is usually minimal. Some even allow you to make an appointment.

Whether you mail or visit in person, have BOTH forms ready to submit. The odds of one form becoming lost from the other increase when not submitted at the same time.

Bark less. Wag more.
Periodic Contributor

When I went through the steps with the online system, there was never a mention of any additional forms that would be needed to complete the process (this was Medicare only, Part A no Part B because group insurance was in effect). The form was accepted and as of yesterday was in Step 2 of processing.  They did mention that a representative may contact you if there is more information needed, perhaps that when the forms will be mentioned.  Until then I'm going to let this play out and see what transpires, don't want to start filling out forms, mail them and more than likely confuse the whole process.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ThomasT561081 

I think if you register for an account at mymedicare.gov

you can follow your registration and choices through the process and see your new Medicare card number when it is issued.  It would only show your current choice of Medicare Part A with the date of activation.

There is other info that you can also set up - like assignment of any other person that has the right to discuss your benefit with them.

Honored Social Butterfly

Medicare Part A ( Hospital Insurance benefit portion)  is the benefit that you have been paying for during your working years so there is no additional premium to pay for this part of Medicare. 

The only reason NOT to sign up for Part A would be if you ( wife plan) have and are still contributing to an HSA and want to continue - HSA and Medicare do not work together.

When you sign up for Medicare, you will receive a card with your Medicare number and the card will identify what parts of the benefit you currently have signed up for with the date of initiation.  The way I understand it, the company will issue you a notice stating that you have credible coverage for the other Parts of Medicare - Part B (doctors, etc.) and Part D (prescription drug coverage).  Keep this in case you need it.

Part A can often work with the employers plan or a retiree plan - usually if there are more than 20 employees - the group plan pays 1st and then Medicare Part A would pick up anything, if anything, which they might cover under Part A.

This Medicare.gov pamphlet will further describe how they work together.

Medicare.gov - CMS - Medicare & Other Health Benefits - Your Guide To Who Pays First

(revised December 2018)  page 12 seems to be what you are asking about.

Just remember that when you no longer have this group coverage under your wife's employer, you must pick up Part B / Part D and pay the monthly premiums.  From what I understand, you should have documentation of when your credible coverage ended under the employer plan - the date is important because you only have a window to pick up Medicare Part B and Part D and if you miss that window, there is a penalty that can be attached to the monthly premium. 

Periodic Contributor

Thanks!!  It looks like I will have to physically go to a SS office in order to do this as the on-line

form appears to be available only to those who are applying for Medicare and have no other existing insurance, probably like one of those dreaded trips to the DMV.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Take that back was able to complete on line and saved a trip.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP