Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Hartford AARP Rate increase...

31% over last year. ($800)

No tickets or accidents. Perfect credit.

Disappointed in Hartford and the AARP. 

Enough said.

Contributor

I have experienced this same problem. I left GEICO after over 40years because they almost doubled my rates. I called the Hartford and was quoted (for 2 cars, a 2011 & 2013) $368/6mo. This was  a bit over half of GEICO. I was told "we almost never raise prices" at the time, but my next renewal was $449, then $477 and my most recent quote is $652! Thats a 36% increase. In looking around that appears to be a decent rate comparatively but AARP should not have a partner that is hitting their retirement communities with inflamatory costs. I have had no accidents, no tickets, and I drive less than 5K miles a year.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

But it isn’t just you -  Those other cars on the road have gotten a lot more expensive.  Steer clear of those expensive ones.  😉

Age is another factor that they use in ratings - just like the young when we hit a milestone, premiums go up because stats show that we are more accident prone after a certain age ( I think there is a big up at 70) - you know, reflexes and all that.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Yes, it's not only the vehicle you are driving, but the cost of the vehicles you are sharing the road with. 

Apparently there is always something that kept my rates going up, they have NEVER dropped in my lifetime.  I guess unfortunately you have to switch companies every 5 or so years now, even if you have no tickets or accidents or drive less, as my vehicles age & become worthless on the market.     

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

• You can drive less miles - most insurance companies will give a ratings discount if you drive lower miles.
  • You could increase all of your deductibles - for collision and comprehensive.
  • You could keep an adequate liability amount and then cover more under another type of insurance - Liability Umbrella 
  • You could check to see if there are other discounts offered by the insurer and see if that would help all the way around - many insurance companies give a discount if they write different types of policies for you - like homeowners and auto or even more.
  • Some insurers have some fluff benefits that I think cost money for them just having them - like a decreasing deductible, accident forgiveness, new car replacement, etc.  This AARP “benefit”(?) has a bunch of them - are they needed?       AARP Hartford Auto discounts

Yes, it probably is a good idea to shop around every few years.

Bronze Conversationalist

Initially Hartford asked if I had a smart phone, I  told them no, they stated I could get a discount for having on & downloading an "app", I told them I should be getting a discount for not having on as they are the ultimate distraction & cause inattentiveness.

New car replacement, I have never has a new vehicle, my vehicles are now 8 & 22 years old, recently in this recession the cost of used vehicles has skyrocketed. 

You know if you do have an accident, your rates will increase.  I have never had my auto rates decrease EVER, though when my girlfriend had moved in with me in 2003, (she was 10 years younger), when she put me on her vehicles her rates dropped by $25/month. 

BTW  my Hartford Homeowners insurance also increased right along with the auto, welcome to seemingly endless inflation. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Gail... I am extremely insurance savvy. I was in Insurance Sales management.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in The HARTFORD. That's what I'm here to say. I don't need advice on coverage. I thought I had a stand up, forever insurance company that knew how to manage risk. I was wrong.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@topspin43 wrote

I thought I had a stand up, forever insurance company that knew how to manage risk

Isn’t that what they are doing - managing risk?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

All this happened on one year??? I'm not 70. I don't buy anything that you have said. I think it's pure greed.

Honored Social Butterfly

Did you happen to lose a discount of sort from last year to this year? - what was the area where it rose the most cause that is a lot.

Where I live it is getting more crowded so the zip code has affected mine.  

Periodic Contributor

Did not lose any discounts. Just liability and collision increases. I'm not angry. Just disappointed... I though I had a great company insuraing me and support from AARP. No to both now.

Super Contributor

Have you contacted Hartford to get an explanation?    

Periodic Contributor

yes... "rate increase"

Bronze Conversationalist

Stock answer (always what I got from any company), general rate increase.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP