Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Hearing Aids

I don't understand the big deal about the new hearing aid directive. AARP should be fighting for hearing aids to be covered by Medicare. Since we need the hearing aids as we age, it is insane for Medicare not to cover this. Why is AARP silent on this topic but make a big deal for over the counter ones. Just another way to take advantage of the aging population. 

My Father needs a new set now, but they are too expensive.  The cheaper type does not help him. I will need new hearing aids at some point and will need to get then before I start on Medicare.  I am a little worried when I start on Medicare, I will not be able to afford them.  I will be doing what my father does and probably many others, just keep wearing the old ones even when they may not be adequate. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Try Walmart. Price $56.00 for a pair. They are called sound amplifiers. They did the trick for me.

0 Kudos

You're right that AARP should be lobbying for hearing aid coverage.  However, that's not in conflict with AARP advocacy for the new directive; OTC hearing aids may be exactly what are needed to make coverage possible.  OTC hearing aids will dramatically lower prices and improve selection (and probably quality).  When audiologists controlled all access to hearing aids, it drove costs through the roof and with millions of seniors needing hearing aids, it may have been impossible to provide coverage without bankrupting Medicare. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP