Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Calling all NEWBIES. ... Let's introduce our selves! Use this thread.

Periodic Contributor

Calling all NEWBIES. ... Let's introduce our selves! Use this thread.

Hi, I'm Mary. I'm new to these threads but am excited by the opportunities to learn and connect.  I love AARP.  I'm very newly retired, live in the midwest, and there are SO MANY opportunities.

If you want to make connections with me and other Newbies, reply to this thread.  I'm seeing many starting individual threads/topics which will make it difficult to connect, just due to shear volume.

Hope to hear from you

Mary
Kudos
Views
Replies
Recognized Social Butterfly

Dearm99255j,

Try looking under the various community topics. This is a great way to.share  your thoughts and remember the past. Follow EPSTER posts for Any help you need with the REWARDS POINTS program. EPSTER has spent time to clearly  help everyone navigate through the rewards points program.

Regular Contributor

Antoine S. Madere

IT Applications Programmer

01/2008 - 08/2017 -- State of Louisiana, Division of Admin., BATON ROUGE, LA

Perform computer program and job development, modification, conversion (Cobol to Natural), and documentation. In various IT areas, test new or modified program functions and install into production. Work with software users about application requirements, objectives, functions, features, input, and output needs. Analyze, define, and document computer software requirements for job flow, hardware and operating system environments, interfaces with other systems, internal and external checks/controls, and output data and reports. Test developed applications to find errors and confirm that installed applications meet required user specifications. Write and maintain support documentation to describe application logic, testing, changes, and corrections. Provide any needed technical assistance and respond to user inquiries about errors, problems, or questions concerning installed application software. Work with IT staff, users, and applications to solve problems with existing computer software. Install and monitor applications and performance after implementation.

Library Technician

06/2005 - 01/2010 -- River Center Library, BATON ROUGE, LA

Assist with the library tasks of acquisition, circulation, and referencing. Perform any required clerical duties. Work at the circulation and reference desk, answer phones, and research patron reference questions. Charge and discharge books, collect fines, register new patrons, and renew library items. Assist all patrons in the proper use of the library and its functions. File and process library items using the proper catalogue procedures. Assist patrons in the selection and location of books, card catalog, and other library items. Compile monthly library usage by patrons and keep track of daily attendance statistics.

Workforce Development Officer

01/2005 - 04/2005 -- Louisiana Dept. of Labor, BATON ROUGE, LA

Review veteran data records and job placement inquiries maintained in the Louisiana LAVOS employment system. Organize and update veteran record data as needed. Document LAVOS cases according to actions taken. Report case actions to superiors and maintain the confidentiality of all veteran record data.

Computer Programmer Analyst

02/2001 - 07/2004 -- Union National Life Insurance Co., BATON ROUGE, LA

Perform computer program and job development, modification, conversion, and documentation. Test new or modified program and job functions. Install computer software code into production. Areas of responsibility were insurance payments, loan records, payroll, and agent performance bonuses.

A. S. Madere
0 Kudos

Excited to be part of the group. My name is Josh, I'm a lawyer in Los Angeles, CA. AMA! Looking forward to meeting new people and contributing to the AARP community. Let's connect!

Joshua-L-Goldstein-Los-Angeles.jpg

0 Kudos

Hello everybody!!!

I am Eduardo Chavez-Guerrero and live in San Antonio.

I need help in finding affordable housing. I currently live in a very nice gated comunity in the North Central area. The problem in that I cannoy pay the rent ($800.00) and I'm eating my savings.

I live along and need a one-bedroom apartment can someone help me? Please?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi to all,

I am a mom and nanny (grandma). I grew up in a very family oriented group so having family around is a big thing for me. The family is also very big so you get use to having people around. Many people we meet become bonus family and are welcome always. We love to geocache, and go to the coast, mountains or family's homes. This household is very nerdy. We fight the dark arts with Harry Potter, go on adventures with Doctor Who, Pokemon are our friends, we appreciate calcifer and enjoy spending time with tortoro. Star Wars and Star Trek are part of our world. We love crossing Abbey Road, with big hero 6, inside out and especially the nightmare before Christmas. Pac Man, Mario and Pooh are welcome guests. The Starry Night is something we love looking at. We travel with the hobbits and love elevensies. If you come to our home and leave hungry, it is most likely your fault because we will try and feed/hydrate you. Basically, comfort, love and fun are spoken here. 

I am disabled and fighting for my ssi. That seems like a never ending project. I try to keep myself into the other things though and not my health so much. I have always been the one who takes care of everyone and everything. Probably will be still at my own funeral.  It is nice to "meet" you all.

Melissa Murphy

Hello, My Name is Robin L. Gooch from Bridge City Texas.  I just joined AARP today.  My 50th birthday was Monday.  

I am looking for some advice about losing a family member namely a mother.  I am having a horrible time.  I lost her in Sept of last year unexpectedly.  Just need a shoulder to lean on or an ear to bend.  Thank you. 

Periodic Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad when I was 20 in 1971 but we had to watch him suffer, he was 45. I lost my Mom in 2008, she was 82 and struggled with alzheimers for 11 years. Be glad your mom passed unexpectedly. You are never ready but atleast she didn't suffer. Hang in there Honey. I will offer you my shoulder anytime.

Kathy Mc

Regular Contributor

Ahoy Andy,

Ye know, the only thing that comes to mind, for me, for this situation (right now), is the fact that you said the volunteer work is the only bright spot in your day. Well, it occurs to me, that is that be the case, then your volunteer work IS 'what you do for you'. Do whatever it is that makes you happy, and what feels right. Take care of your partner, and do your best in  your volunteer work, as that is what you do for you -- and others.

Keep an eye on that Horizon.

Jack.

Hi! My name is Andy and I am 52 and gay and caring for my partner who is 50 years old. We have been together for 23 years (today) and I can tell you we have we seen some good times, and recently some pretty bad ones. About 10 or so years ago my partner became disabled with a rare neuroligical disease and things seem to just have become worse and piled-up sinc. He was able to recover from the disease but soon began to have additional problems, one after the other. He hadn't been working for some years before it all started and has not worked since. I have been our sole financial provider for over 15 years and have been sole caregiver since 2006.

We both drank heavily most of our lives and decided to get sober about 6 months apart, roughly 7 years ago. I stayed sober and he relapsed after about 5 years, about 2 years ago. His drinking finally caught up with his liver and it failed at the beginning of this year.

The liver failure caused a "leaky" right heart valve which caused high blood pressure in the lungs, stalling the liver transplant evaluation that was already underway. The liver doctors will not evaluate for transplant unless they know he will be "operable", and he will not be operable until the lung and heart situation are stabalized.

That was six months ago and my partner has been home for the last 4 months and is on several medications to keep his liver functioning and his system compensating, while the doctors try to bring down the pressure in the lungs. We entered my partner into a medical trial for additional medicine for the lung problem in hopes of getting better care and that it may heal the problem quicker.

It has been a rough time caring for and watching someone who is gradually becoming less able to care for themselves despite all my best efforts. It is exhausting and frustrating and sometimes downright depressing.

I have a full-time job as a technical professional and I also spend a good portion of my free time giving back to the communiity that has freely given me my sobriety. I am thankful that the powers that be decided it was just the right time for me to be a sober friend to my partner. I am grateful for the higher-power that I found on my journey and for the fellowship and support that comes along with it.

Nevertheless, the feelings of inadequacy, guilt, anger, fear and uncertainty remain! I am putting all my efforts into caring for my partner and none into caring for my physical and mental health. I put the rest of my efforts into my job and volunteer work, which leaves little time for myself. I could cut back on the volunteer time but that is often the only bright part of my day. I am saying all this not to garner sympathy but just as a way to introduce myself and my situation, and state of mind. I am willing to take all advice and also willing to share my experience, strength and hope with whomever will listen.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to talking to you all!

Conversationalist

@a956730s  You have so much on your plate right now. I do know, it's a lot to deal with. One of the things you need to do is stay especially alert about what you are doing while driving, or using any tools, cooking, etc. When there is that much happening for your mind to deal with, it's easy to hurt yourself or cause an accident. So stay alert...

Next thing.  Find a way to get out of your head just to give your brain a break. For me, it was through listening to recorded books. There were times that my mind would have to be pulled back into focus, or a part replayed, maybe more than once. But with practice you will be able to do it. Before that, trying to sleep meant that the little hampster in my brain would be running on his wheel for most of the night. 

Then eat healthy meals and keep to as regular of a meal schedule as you can. Routine can be calming. 

Also remember to thank your higher power. Be greatful for what is, not for what is not. Stay strong. You will be getting lots of prayers and good thoughts from many people who don't know you, but feel that strength as it arrives. 

WELCOME Andy,

Wow 23 years, how GREAT!!!. 

Taking time for your self and interests through volunteering, is a great way to grow as a person. Meeting other people is a great way to expand your horizon. There will be simple little treats that will come your way. New outlooks on current situations, ideas to share with your long time partner. Taking time for your self is very important when you're taking care of a loved one. I am Nancy, from New Jersey, if the 2 of you happen to live in this state, I have a list of resources that my help with your current situation.  Stay strong and  BEST wishes for both of youSmiley HappySmiley Happy

Contributor

Hello.  My name is Tim and I live in Ohio.  My wife is in the chronic stage of MS.  I work a full time job and take care of her when I'm not working.  We have a couple of ladies who take care of her while I'm at work, but we have to pay for them out of our own pockets so things are always tight. I've been doing the caregiving for about ten years in terms of her chronic condition:  lifting her in and out of bed, dressing her as well as the numerous other personal care things that are involved in the bathroom, meals, meds, finances and so on.  I'm in relatively good physical health myself since I've made it a point to do the things to get that way and stay that way, primarily so I'll be able to take care of my wife and not have to use the healthcare system myself ( hopefully ), but still the toll of caregiving for so long in a chronic situation has taken it's toll in terms of what a lot of folks call burnout, I guess, mostly mental and emotional.  I'm not a quitter, but I'm also smart enough to know that I have to take care of myself.  Not an easy thing to do in terms of finding the time and resources when both of those need to go towards taking care of my wife.  I don't have an issue with that.  That's the way it should be, but I'm hoping to find some wisdom, tips, insights and experience here that can help me navigate the next few years.  All the best to all of you brave and courageous fellow AARP'ers.

Contributor

Tim in reply to your problem of extra support for your wife , I have a suggestion, when you are needing to cut down on expenses.but also have a helper need. My company recites also the family members of our clients to pretipate in giving care to their own personal family members.also if you feel that this idea is honestly of value to your problem I also have a advisory fee that is exceptable to me as the personal home anfd family living life skills/lifestyles counseling services counselor.of New beginning"for boys and girls only"self help overcomes mbsm . I would like to suggest that you hire one or more of your family members through the caregiver providers network let them sign in and get paid by someone else to provide care to you wife.keeping your money in you home and family financial budget.

Periodic Contributor

Greetings from a newbie ๐Ÿ™‚

I am glad to be here and hope to learn all the benefits and perks of this site soon, as well as share great tips with you all.

Thanks for the welcome and welcome to everyone as well ๐Ÿ™‚

WELCOME e793364k,

Remember to follow EPSTER tags on rewards for goods points.  Some sites renew monthly, some on Sundays. The tags are clear and easy to follow. EPSTER, is a wiz and keeps ALL of us updated on how to earn points. EPSTER'S other posts are both ENLIGHTENING and INSPIRATIONAL.    NANCY

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l wrote:

WELCOME e793364k,

Remember to follow EPSTER tags on rewards for goods points.  Some sites renew monthly, some on Sundays. The tags are clear and easy to follow. EPSTER, is a wiz and keeps ALL of us updated on how to earn points. EPSTER'S other posts are both ENLIGHTENING and INSPIRATIONAL.    NANCY

@Yes, all hail @Epster. ROFL. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey, thanks for the kind words, @n566192l. I do what I can. Annnnnd: do you know what day it is? 5,000 points day, no matter if you've worked all the R4G tasks before or not! Go get those points, everyone!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

EPSTER HELP,

CAN YOU PLEASE FILL IN THE BLANKS ON MY POSTS, FOR REWARDS POINTS. I AM STILL LEARNING MY PHONE, AND THIS SITE!! Thanks for the heads up ABOUT Today!   I am still working on placing Veterans, only was able to place 2 for month of July. I am much better with PEOPLE than computers. Thanks again, OUR POINTS PRO!   Nancy

@n566192l wrote:

EPSTER HELP,

CAN YOU PLEASE FILL IN THE BLANKS ON MY POSTS, FOR REWARDS POINTS. I AM STILL LEARNING MY PHONE, AND THIS SITE!! Thanks for the heads up ABOUT Today!   I am still working on placing Veterans, only was able to place 2 for month of July. I am much better with PEOPLE than computers. Thanks again, OUR POINTS PRO!   Nancy

@n566192l wrote:

EPSTER HELP,

Contributor

Hi.  I'm Janna.  I still work full-time but am thinking of retiring.  This is the first time I've been on aarp.com.  I'm a great bargain shopper and have recently re-comited to get healthier.

Kudos
Views

Hello Janna, 

WELCOME to the COMMUNITY. If you want to earn rewards points, PLEASE follow EPSTER'S posts under R4G, REWARDS POINTS etc. EPSTER, ROCKS and knows how to work the system. 

@j88669d wrote:

Hi.  I'm Janna.  I still work full-time but am thinking of retiring.  This is the first time I've been on aarp.com.  I'm a great bargain shopper and have recently re-comited to get healthier.

Kudos
Views

Hello Janna,

I am Nancy from New Jersey. Getting healthier is always a challenge. Aarp offers great recipes, plus you can earn rewards points. 

Contributor

Hi Nancy from NJ!  I haven't found the recipes yet.  Since I know that they are there, I'll look for them.  How would I earn points for using/looking for the recipes?  Thanks for any tips you can give me!  jkd 

Honored Social Butterfly

@j88669d wrote:

Hi Nancy from NJ!  I haven't found the recipes yet.  Since I know that they are there, I'll look for them.  How would I earn points for using/looking for the recipes?  Thanks for any tips you can give me!  jkd 

@j88669d as @n566192l suggested, searching the site for "r4g earn points" will bring up the threads in which some of us have posted tips. Here's a link to the search I just disusing those words: https://community.aarp.org/t5/tag/r4g%20earn%20points/tg-p/tag-id/9226

You'll have to pick through the posts to find the ones that detail processes. There are a lot of quirks.

BTW, I just finished fighting my way through my 5,000 first of the month points ... some tasks are being a royal pain, so good luck all!

Sorry I cannot spend more time on this right now, I'm already behind schedule this morning. (She hears her Drill Sargeant father's voice barking at her to "Move It!" :)) I suggest looking for the post that details (with pictures) which tasks renew at the beginning of the month, and working the tasks listed.

Go get 'em! ๐Ÿ™‚

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

HeartEPSTERHeart,

Thanks for filling in my post yesterday!Heart

Your quote really helped me yesterday. 

Hello Everyone, My name is Nancy from Colorado..
Took me about 20 min to figure out how to post on here, To Funny I'm not usually that bad.. ๐Ÿ˜‡
I love to RV (camping)
Love to Grill outside..
Love spending time with my family.. Husband, Six Adult children and four Grandchildren.

Hi,j88669d, 

EPSTER posted All the answers to earning REWARDS POINTS. I asked the same question. EPSTER replied back to me on 6/24/17. There are threads, where EPSTER makes the task of Earning Points fun again!!. EPSTER is extremely helpful in this department. Follow the conversations between EPSTER and follow members. 

Periodic Contributor

Hi Mary and other Newbies,

I have just move to NM. I really like the weather so far ๐Ÿ™‚ and the area is beautiful! Very differnet from the Eastren US.
I'm also new to AARP, still finding my way around this site.

Gen Johnson
Conversationalist

@GenSanchez  Hello there,  I lived in NM for 15 years and loved it there. The climate in the town where I lived had 4 seasons, but none of them extreme.  Where I was was in a small town called Silver City. A town in the mountains with a very active senior community.

Enjoy it there. The people are friendly and living is good....

Periodic Contributor

Thanks JoyaDe. I will be moving into a nice retirement community soon. The people are very friendly here and make me feel welcomed. I'm so glad I've moved here. NM has alot of things to do and places to explore. I'm looking forward to new discoveries.

Gen Johnson
Contributor

Hello Mary;

I'm new to this forum, but have been retired due to medical issues for about a century.  I was one of the lucky guys who got busted up enough that I don't have to work anymore. Yea  I don't really recommend it, tho.  If your back gets broke, It will mess up your whole day.  

About to get used to it, altho I doubt if I'll ever get to liking it.  A lot of things I don't do anymore, A lot of things I CAN'T do anymore.   

Oh well;  Learn from yesterday

Hope for tomorrow            

Live for today
Cole

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP