Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Calling all NEWBIES. ... Let's introduce our selves! Use this thread.

Periodic Contributor

Calling all NEWBIES. ... Let's introduce our selves! Use this thread.

Hi, I'm Mary. I'm new to these threads but am excited by the opportunities to learn and connect.  I love AARP.  I'm very newly retired, live in the midwest, and there are SO MANY opportunities.

If you want to make connections with me and other Newbies, reply to this thread.  I'm seeing many starting individual threads/topics which will make it difficult to connect, just due to shear volume.

Hope to hear from you

Mary
Kudos
Views
Replies
Regular Contributor

I'm several months in as an AARP member. Just found these forums. This website isn't easy to navigate, and I'm no Magellan. But hello to all and God bless. Look forward to interacting with you all. I am a retired mailman from Central Ohio. Be safe and healthy!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello, I am a new member. How do I introduce myself? Is there a link to sign up and write my introduction?  can't seem to find friendly links anywhere on AARP? 

Jo Prabhu
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, Jo! Welcome. You can write a short intro on this post and fill out information on your profile here: https://community.aarp.org/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/28162176

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Checking in from GA. New AARP member as of two weeks ago. I put off joining for 10 years but as I'm turning 60 soon I figured it was about time. I'm not retired and don't expect to for another 5 to 7 years, and frankly work is busier than ever. I'm in IT consulting, software and cloud services. 

I know some of y'all, most perhaps, are getting a big "How do you do" from Old Man Winter right now. Stay warm, and be safe, and we'll see ya around the "inter webs". 🙂

Cheers.

--
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H. L. Mencken
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello, I'm getting ready to turn 58. I am taking the winter off, we are workcampers in the summer,    In the winter especially for the holidays we are home with family. I just thought that it would be great to find people to chat with.

shortstuff
Conversationalist

>>I'd never heard of the word "work camper" until I read it in your introduction here.

Yep, I had to look it up, too. Neat, Sounds like a fun way to spend your time.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Hey short stuff!  Cute little name!

I'd never heard of the word "work camper" until I read it in your introduction here.  So I did a bit of research on Google.  Do you have a particular campground that you supervise or do you move to a different spot each summer?

Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

Hi Mary, I'm Marsela from Jacksonville, Florida. Nice to meet everyone 😊 

Conversationalist

Good Morning,

I am new here and still figuring this out My name is Shari I am from Illinois. I enjoy so many things and miss doing many because of COVID, but well we all adapt to our new (well not so new now) normal. I have a cat (he is 7 months old ). I don't plan to retire, because I love what I do, and it keeps me active and feeling young. 

Have a Blessed Day,

Shari

Shari
Bronze Conversationalist

Good Afternoon, Shari!    😀😷

Welcome to the Community.  I arrived this weekend for the first time too, and am just testing the waters. Covid has been a real "bite" for all of us, but it's been interesting finding a new lifestyle that works around it.  I think creativity is the key.

I have two cats myself, and they've been extra special companions during Covid.

Hope you enjoy your visit/stay here.

Rosemary

Periodic Contributor

I recently moved near Farmington, NM and wanted to Say Hello to Everyone in the surrounding area.  Getting use to elevation and weather, but otherwise enjoying my new adventure.

Take care, God bless and Enjoy the Day

Morning from WI., I’m new to this and hope to get more comfortable.

looking to chat now and then, build some friendships perhaps.

take care and hope everyone has a blessed day.  Isa

🌻

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Hello new to the forum - I just turned FRA and start receiving SS next month. Have lived in Midwest USA all my life.

I am a mechanical/automotive/aerospace engineer, still working for now (from home most of the time).  So anyone wanting to talk shop, feel free to contact me.

I am a veteran of many Internet forums since the early days of TELNET and "bulletin boards", so I am looking forward to some good conversations with others on the forums here.  It seems like a great community.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Pleased to have you in our group, Dwayne.

What does FRA stand for?

Bronze Conversationalist

Hi anne,

I was wondering about that too.  I don't know about the "F", but I'm guessing the "RA" means retirement age?   Maybe the "F" stands for "finally?"   LOL

Super Contributor

FRA: Free to Roam Around? Lol!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

My guess is "Full Retirement Age," but I prefer "Free to Roam Around." Much more clever.

Periodic Contributor

Hello from Tucson, Arizona.

My name is Michael and I am hoping to reply to messages and chat a bit.  Take care everyone.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

hi. I am fairly new but can't seem to find a consistent thread to talk to everytime I come back can't find the people I would like to  talk  to or more like to talk about their interests

Regular Contributor

Hi Lynne,
I identify with your experience stated in your post.
Also, AARP can be a somewhat difficult to maneuver around to and in the different sites, I find.
Do you perhaps play bridge? I use to be a member of a local ladies bridge club, but
we dissolved years ago. I now play internet bridge at Bridge Base Online and enjoy meeting and playing with people all over the world. I played long enough now though, that I have many "friends" that come into the site at the same time I do most of the time and are on my "friends list".
What are some of your interests, hobbies, etc
Anne
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to all of our NEWBIES! I would like to welcome you to Our Front Porch group where you can join us for coffee at our Coffee Club, share your thoughts at the Morning Roll Call and comment on our many topics. Feel free to add a topic or just spend so time reviewing other posts. I have been a member here sense January 2009!

Remember we have just one major set of rules:

41UAq3+uMiL.jpg71pG9XAaFsL._SL1500_.jpg90846182_10217026851007008_1098697924746936320_n.jpg44126867_10209721224707930_6837731241110798336_n.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Good Morning Everyone:

I pray this finds everyone doing well considering the Covid-19.

I used to knit and crochet and give the items to charity, it was a great feeling knowing my items were going to those who needed them. I didn't venture out much before the pandemic, preferred to stay home and knit, crochet, read, sew, watch some tv, listen to my music online. I do keep in touch with my family and friends either on the phone or email. 😉

I always welcome a new friend. 😉

Have a safe and blessed day!! Heart

Smiles...

It broke my heart to lose you but you didn't go alone, for part of me went with you the day God took you home!!
Periodic Contributor

Hi I'm Lily from Arizon, originally from California. Considering retiring soon but hoping to travel some more before I do. In the recent past, pre Corona Virus, I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity and wanted to learn more about the history, uses  and cultivation of herbs. Now I'm doing some research online since all groups and classes are cancelled at this time. Looking for a pen pal to exchange ideas on retirement, travel, and just everyday experiences.

Lily 

Social Butterfly

Hi Lily

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hello —

Just officially joined AARP today. I've visited the site on and off for a few years, playing the free games. Now I can finally unlock all the members-only games! Woo hoo!

And yet there's some irony here — I joined an organization with "Retired Persons" in its name and I am neither retired now nor likely will never be able to afford to. Ah, well. At least I'll always have "Trizzle."  They still have that game, right? 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Hi Everyone. I'm Oscar I'm from Arizona. 

Periodic Contributor

Hello out there, my name isn't really Grover but that's what everyone has called me for the last 50 years! I am not new to AARP, but I am new to the website. I am 65 years old and soon to be single. Just looking for someone to chat with.

Richard (Grover) Cleveland
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm a newbie and I think this is going to be fun. 😊

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi. I am Moniq. single. asian woman. in 40s. new member. from out USA. looking to meet new people.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP