Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

What is your exercise of choice?

What is your preferred way to get exercise/move? How long have you been doing it?

Still looking for ideas on the right activity for you, or maybe a new activity? Check out our new guide on getting moving: https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/get-moving.html

Contributor

Yoga! It keeps me flexible and muscular while being meditational at the same time. Fifteen years at this point.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Swimming is the best! It's like meditation! Totally zen like! I have been swimming for 63 years.

Regular Contributor

i ride a stationary bike almost daily for 30-60 minutes. Also Walk 30-40 min when weather permits, I listen to my recording of  the Women's Barbershop Chorus I belong to, learning new songs. 5 lbs of hand weights on each hand is my max so far, 40 reps for 4 different lifts.  Also have a short meditation time and some yoga moves each morning for about 15 mins. A hip replacement with nerve complications from surgery keep me from doing a strong yoga routine, as I did pre-surgery. I am 66. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Contributor

Iโ€™ll be 72 yrs in September. My workout habits started in the gym back in the early 70โ€™s. Aerobic classes, Raquet ball, weight training. I played Womenโ€™s soccer til my mid 40โ€™s then coached my daughters soccer teams. Hiking/walking  every weekend. Last 15 years I attend a Cardio Pump class 3X per week and Pilates twice a week. 5 mile walks 3X per week.  Hope this inspires you all!

Yoga 3 times a week. I've been taking Yoga for 8 years. So good for my mental health and stress relief as well as balance, strength and flexibility.

Contributor

Iโ€™m a guy who likes variety and am fortunate enough to do a lot of things.  I had bi-lateral knee replacement 8 1/2 years ago, which took away a lot of pain and enabled me to ski, hike the mountains, bike, play tennis, and golf.  So, my favorite changes with the seasons.  Although not a regular routine, I also enjoy a gym regimen that starts with bike aerobics, floor exercises and weights.  

Periodic Contributor

I used to prefer almost any kind of sport to actually working out. I played a lot of competitive tennis and racketball into my 60's until lower body joints made me stop. Now, after two knee replacements and one ankle replacement, serious running is no longer an option. Now I fast walk 4 miles 5-to-6 times a week in the gym pumping 12 lb dumbbells every other mile (changing the type of pump every 10th of a mile - kind of my own interval training thing). I also do stationary upper body weights three times a week and focus on lighter weight workouts for my legs. This is all underpinned with protien shakes to avoid soreness and promote endurance.

Periodic Contributor

ยกCaminando con mi esposa!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Cardio dance!

So much fun!

I am a group exercise instructor/personal trainer and I feel exercise does not have to feel like a chore.

Contributor

Pickleball - it's the fastest growing sport in America.  Courts are going up everywhere.  It's a cross between tennis and ping pong.  No running and the friendliest people.  Check it out on youtube.  It's easy for any age, any athletic ability to learn.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

20 minutes on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the stationary bicycle ๐Ÿ˜‰

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You have to have a combination of weights and aerobic. I do a fairly heavy weight set (18 total upper and lower body) about once a week. I do aerobic (usually orbital stepper) at least two days a week. These types of workouts keep up your body's ability to repair itself and keeps the aches and pains at bay.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yoga is great for flexibilty but also great for strength.  My yoga instuctor makes it mentally challenging as well, which is something I need. You have to focus.  

Contributor

Outdoor cycling. Cycling is a great exercise capable of working not only your legs but your arms and core as well. Besure to include some hills in your route so that you can work out your arms and core via out of the seat cycling. Outside is better than inside since you get the outside environment feel. I do it all year around in the Chicago area, you just need to dress for the weather, i.e., layer up. The hood from my sweatshirt under my helmet keeps my head nice and warm on windy, cold days. Double knit leggings keeps the legs warm. A cycling windbreaker jacket keeps the cold wind out.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

In no particular order of preference, yoga and bowling. I've been taking free lessons at the local library, where I work PT, for two years, and I love it. I've also bowled in one local league or another, since 1978. I'm semi-addicted and constantly watch YouTube videos for how to improve my delivery, and therefore, my scores. I constantly joke that I'll be happy to bowl a perfect game (300, 12 consecutive strikes), then keel over with my body BEHIND the foul line.

I also love swimming, and still bemoan the loss of our backyard pool. Had to fill it in years ago--too much work for the amount of time I actually got to use it, while I was working full time. Still, we got a lot of good use out of it for several years. That was my summer workout. How else can you work out and not feel like you're sweating (although I've read that you actually do sweat while swimming. Hard to believe, unless you're in a warm indoor pool)?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Iโ€™m captain of the menโ€™s rugby team at the home.  We're the Sunrise Living Bulldogs.  Last week we beat the Woodbridge Common Piranas 8 to 3.  Lots of exercise from practice and games!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for clicking remote on the couch animation

My exercise of choice is Yoga.  This is pose #1 -- "Resting Cat."

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I've been running for  39 years except I just broke a bone in my foot so I'm walking a couple of miles in the morning until I heal.   I work on my little farm taking care of the goats and chickens and work in my gardens.  I taught fitness classes including weight lifting for many years, and also taught swimming.  I have a lap pool and swim when the water is warm enough that I don't turn blue when I dive in.  But running is still my first choice for exercise.  No more half marathons or other races, just a morning run while it's still cool outside.  I'll be 80 in July and hope I never have to stop running.   

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I love to walk and I incorporate it into my day as often as I can. I work from home and when a call comes in, I transfer it to my cell phone and walk around the house. On the treadmill, Iโ€™ll watch tv or read a book. Speaking of reading, I will walk around the block with my book in hand. Yes, people stare and comment but Iโ€™m getting my steps in. I prefer to walk over taking the car whenever possible. Now if I could cut out chocolate, I can lose weight. Who am I kidding?!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Both my wife and I race 6-man outrigger canoes, with practices  3 times a week starting in February through mid-September.  It is easy on the knees but both aerobic and anaerobic.  Practices are 2-2.5 hours and races are 10-12 miles.  In the off season, we try to get to the gym (we have free membership through AARP's Medicare Plan) 2-3 times a week and bike and hike.  I had open heart surgery (aortic valve) last year and was back paddling (but not racing) in 3 months.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Running has been my exercise of choice for 40 years. I've chosen it as a lifestyle, living in areas where I can run daily in rural/scenic and low-traffic roadways. Running is the base level of fitness for everything else I want to do outdoors: hike, bike, raft, etc. More recently I've added weightlifting three times weekly. It  has helped my running and also boosted my upper body muscle tone. I highly recommend regular stretching exercises after running to avoid injuries and to aid flexibilility. Running for life is my goal.

Periodic Contributor

I feel exercise should be viewed like the best food habits - eat the rainbow!  I take Bootcamps through my local parks and rec and through a local high school.  I fast walk as much as possible with my dogs.  At the gym, I alternate every form of cardio plus free weights or the machines, or body weight exercises with or without the Bosu and/or the bands.  I use the TRX, the assisted-pullup machine, the Smith rack and all the other equipment.  Hiking is great for the brain and body too!

0 Kudos

For many years, I exercise at home 30-60 minutes every morning after a light to medium healthy breakfast.  Includes (some combination/variation/alternating each day) 10 lb dumbells, yoga, pilates, leg exercises, situps, pushups, large green ball exercises, styrofoam roller exercises, theraband, and rolling tennis balls on my back.  I also take a 25-60 minute bike ride (moderate, mostly flat) 7 to 12 times a month (depending on weather, mood, time, availability, energy level, etc), and I walk about twice that much.  And, of course there's housework!   I eat organic and healthy whenever possible (but not always so much so).  I'm turning 65 next month, and have survived two types of cancer and hep c, and currently have lymphedema (in 1 leg), and spinal stenosis.

Regular Contributor

I do lots of fast walking, jog and run some 5k races, ride horses, lift hay bales, saddles, sacks of feed and more. All of that covers most muscle groups. I have been riding on and off for most of my life and always walked or hiked. In my 30s and 40s I got serious about running and ran 5k, 10k, half marathons and 2 marathons. I got too busy in my 50s working full time and raising some horses so quit running. 3 years ago a friend talked me into doing a 5k with her and I got hooked again. I am 73, soon to be 74. I think it is good to just keep moving especially doing what you enjoy! The Lord has blessed me with the strength to keep doing these things.

Periodic Contributor

Exercise is very much beneficial for the heart at any age. Yoga is a best way to keep our heart healthy rather than heavy exercises which are not possible for old people.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@OmegaB474651   Age alone is NOT a barrier to 'heavy exercise'.  It's health, physical conditioning, and attitude.  The last two can be changed, and often doing exercise will improve one's health in all areas, not only the heart.  I still run, swim, work out, garden, shovel the chicken and goat yards, trim trees, and more.  I'm 80 years old young.

I've been going to Curves about 3 times a week for over 10 years.  Lost 50 lbs by learning to eat and exercise right and have kept it off.  MUCH stronger, with better balance and flexibility.  Made great friends, too!  It works.

Judy in Paradise
Contributor

I practice 30 minutes of yoga daily. I also rotate days of playing pickleball and workouts at Planet Fitness.

Honored Social Butterfly

2 hours a day at a gym. About an hour of aerobics (step class or treadmill, stepper, stair climber) and about an hour of weight lifting.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Conversationalist

I love walking.  I don't mind swimming once in a while but very seldom do I get the urge to go swim.  When I walk, I always enjoy putting on classical music such as piano works by Schubert or a Moart piece with tons of violins and French horns playing.

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP