Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 111 of 170
I urge you to do something now. Get moving as much as you are able. What is happening to your parents and other family members does not need to happen to you. Get moving!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 170

I am sorry to read that you are dealing with nerve pain.  Unfortunately. the treatments available for nerve pain and lots of other types of pain don't work and sometimes the side effects are worse than the pain you are having.  You may find some help from other sources. I suggest you locate a Naturopathic doctor.  My daughter is a massage therapist and has spent her entire life educating herself and me with regards to natural healing methods.  I take a lot of supplements and go to a chiropractor 2 times a week.  I walk almost everyday since a neurologist told me that it would keep me from getting dementia. I pray that you will find the help you need.  I did suffer with nerve pain for years and I don't have it now.  I will be praying for you and that you will find the help you need.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 170

Why on earth would I want to live that long?  Maybe till 80, but after that I would really not want to live much past that.  The elderly are treated so poorly in this country and if you don't have your health, it's a lot worse. Doctor's are trying to keep us alive longer and longer, but with the economy the way it is, and the Health Insurance crisis, why would I want to prolong that?  No one knows if Social Seurity will still be around so living longer will just drain all your finance's and eventually you will end up broke. By the time I reach 80 I whould have lived a full life, and I want to go out with dignity rather than stuck in a nursing facility or a burden to someone else.  Just my two cents worth.  Thanks,  

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 170

Depends on what shape I am in at the time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 170

Absolutely!   I fully believe that I have the right to choose when I depart & will do so when the conditions are not opportune for self sustained viability.   Otherwise, I intend to go, go, go until the engine slows down considerably.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 170

As long as my cat wants to take care of me, I'm fine.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 170

I believe one has to feel RELEVANT and have a CHALLENGE. When that dissipates say Bye Bye. Of course PAIN to a high degree with persistence can also roll-the-ball-into-the-hole also. Then they just dope-u-up and you fester on with no existence bascially. When you get old they plant you in a corner and juice-you-up till your **bleep** fails or more often, till you fall and break your pelvis. Getting old sucks so do it NOW. This is your last chance at being your best.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 170

To me, "Life" is just another "event" to participate in or not. As long as your consciousness has a desire to participate in it, it wants to exist. Once your consciousness has less desire to participate, it has less desire to exist. Factors that effect that desire are both internal and external. The general well-being of your consciousness determines its desire to exist. And that changes constantly until it doesn't. Ever hear that saying that it's a woman's peragative to change her mind? Well, even if it subconscious, your Conscious/Subconscious/Soul does likewise. Sometime a little, sometime a lot. So, the only answer I can give is, "Ask me again when it matters.".

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 170

I have suffered chronic nerve pain for 40 years. I am now 72 and the prospect of decades more pain is not very attractive. Both of my parents developed dementia at age 86 so the prospect of attainling that milestone is also unattractive. Time will tell how pleasant/unpleasant increasinlg age will be.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 170
I used to say I would probably live to be a 100 ( I am 81) but then i read an article about someone living to be 122 and 137. I am in good health with no life threatening problems. I set my goals farther ahead. I may not make it that far but I refuse to limit myself.
Kudos
Views