Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri
Contributor

I'm 66.  When I was a young child, it somehow came to me that I was going to live to be 93.  I didn't question how I got the info - I was young (maybe 8), & with the simple faith of a child, believed it came from God.  Although somewhat overweight, & dealing for 20 years with fibromyalgia, I'm otherwise healthy & continue to work.  Genetics are on my side.  So I still believe 93 is my number. I would be even more pleased about that if I had not been widowed at 64.  I hope to find my last love to share these last decades on earth with me.  More fun that way!

Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.โ€ - Richard Nixon
Regular Contributor

I met my current Significant Other when I was 75, a year and a half after my husband of 26 years had passed away.  I'm 77 now and S O and I are still going strong!  There is life even when you are three quarters of a century old!  One of the secrets is to keep your body moving.  I am still Rock n Roll dancing at S O's band gigs.

Contributor

For me I think 80 would be a good age.  I'm 60 right now and I think another 20 years would see me through what I want to do.  I may change my mind later if I stay in good health, have a good mind, and stay active.

Periodic Contributor

I'm 82 and want at least 10 more years, possibly 20 if I'm not senile or disabled.

From my perspective of 64, I feel like everyday is an adventure so I choose 100+. I am healthy with no illness or disability at this time so maybe things will change, there is no way to know. My mom is 88 and vibrant, I know she chooses to be here as long as possible. My poor dad had Alzheimers, but he still fought to survive because he loved his life so much. I have always wanted to live a long life and that hasn't changed as I have aged. I look forward to each and every day!

Periodic Contributor

Your attitude and your mother's is like mine. I adore my family, and have such a desire for living. I am never bored and find something I love doing. My husband has been gone for 13 years but, where I miss him, I am able to enjoy time with family and good friends.

It is only when the pain in life exceeds the joy in life with all hope extinguished that death becomes attractive.  Maintain the joy, extinguish the pain, and live a century or more. 

Periodic Contributor

Why on earth would I want to live that long?  Maybe till 80, but after that I would really not want to live much past that.  The elderly are treated so poorly in this country and if you don't have your health, it's a lot worse. Doctor's are trying to keep us alive longer and longer, but with the economy the way it is, and the Health Insurance crisis, why would I want to prolong that?  No one knows if Social Seurity will still be around so living longer will just drain all your finance's and eventually you will end up broke. By the time I reach 80 I whould have lived a full life, and I want to go out with dignity rather than stuck in a nursing facility or a burden to someone else.  Just my two cents worth.  Thanks,  

Sorry you feel that way.  I'm 87 and my wife 82 and have been married 63 years.  Two years ago we did the Disney Halft Marathon.  Last week we did a 5K for the opening of a new Bridge here in FL.

We walk 3 miles a day enjoy our family and especially our Grandsons.  We saved for retirement and do not have any serious financial problems.  Why would we want to die.  Age is all relative.  If your fortunate enough to be in fairly good health why would you put a time limit on your life.  Keep moving and enjoy every day as much as you can.  

Contributor

I agree. I feel the same way!
Contributor

I'm with you, s814175p - 80 might even be too long to live, IMHO. I always think of the A.E. Houseman poem: http://www.bartleby.com/103/33.html - and am not counting on more than my "threescore years and ten", which seems about right to me. 

Social Butterfly

Depends on what shape I am in at the time.

Super Contributor

As long as my cat wants to take care of me, I'm fine.

Periodic Contributor

Good idea!

Contributor

I believe one has to feel RELEVANT and have a CHALLENGE. When that dissipates say Bye Bye. Of course PAIN to a high degree with persistence can also roll-the-ball-into-the-hole also. Then they just dope-u-up and you fester on with no existence bascially. When you get old they plant you in a corner and juice-you-up till your **bleep** fails or more often, till you fall and break your pelvis. Getting old sucks so do it NOW. This is your last chance at being your best.

Regular Social Butterfly

To me, "Life" is just another "event" to participate in or not. As long as your consciousness has a desire to participate in it, it wants to exist. Once your consciousness has less desire to participate, it has less desire to exist. Factors that effect that desire are both internal and external. The general well-being of your consciousness determines its desire to exist. And that changes constantly until it doesn't. Ever hear that saying that it's a woman's peragative to change her mind? Well, even if it subconscious, your Conscious/Subconscious/Soul does likewise. Sometime a little, sometime a lot. So, the only answer I can give is, "Ask me again when it matters.".

I have suffered chronic nerve pain for 40 years. I am now 72 and the prospect of decades more pain is not very attractive. Both of my parents developed dementia at age 86 so the prospect of attainling that milestone is also unattractive. Time will tell how pleasant/unpleasant increasinlg age will be.

Regular Contributor

I am sorry to read that you are dealing with nerve pain.  Unfortunately. the treatments available for nerve pain and lots of other types of pain don't work and sometimes the side effects are worse than the pain you are having.  You may find some help from other sources. I suggest you locate a Naturopathic doctor.  My daughter is a massage therapist and has spent her entire life educating herself and me with regards to natural healing methods.  I take a lot of supplements and go to a chiropractor 2 times a week.  I walk almost everyday since a neurologist told me that it would keep me from getting dementia. I pray that you will find the help you need.  I did suffer with nerve pain for years and I don't have it now.  I will be praying for you and that you will find the help you need.

Super Contributor

There is longevity on both sides of my family, with 8 people having lived from age 88 to 101.  At least 2 suffered from Alzheimer's, 3 from some form of dementia and the other 3 a number of various medical conditions.  I would like to look forward to living as long as I have relatively good health, can still function pretty much on my own and little to no memory loss.  Having watched both my father who had Alzheimer's and my Mom who is suffering serious dementia herself, I would not want this for myself.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I urge you to do something now. Get moving as much as you are able. What is happening to your parents and other family members does not need to happen to you. Get moving!
Regular Contributor

As long as I am both independent and healthy. If not, I would like to be given the same consideration that we give to our pets when they are suffering.

Periodic Contributor

Absolutely!   I fully believe that I have the right to choose when I depart & will do so when the conditions are not opportune for self sustained viability.   Otherwise, I intend to go, go, go until the engine slows down considerably.

Regular Contributor

I will be 72 in a couple of months and I still ride horses and walk and lift hay bales and saddle my own horse. I have had a very full and adventurous life and my husband, love of my life, went home to be with the Lord 3 years ago. I would like to make it to 80s if I am healthy and living well, but when it is my time I have no regrets of undone activities.

Regular Contributor

I used to say I would probably live to be a 100 ( I am 81) but then i read an article about someone living to be 122 and 137. I am in good health with no life threatening problems. I set my goals farther ahead. I may not make it that far but I refuse to limit myself.
Periodic Contributor

Old age and dying became clear to me when my dad had a brain tumor. He was a businessman, and trust me, he became a different person. He was funny, and I had the PLEASURE TO TAKE CARE OF HIM FOR 8 MONTHS. I got to know the man that I loved the most, only better. God allowed that joy for me to get even closer. He was my herro. When we take our own life it keeps people from drawing close to us during the dying process. My best friends mother took the easy way out and she said she will never forgive her for being so weak. I don't mean to say that in a hurtful way to people that disagree, but she said she felt her mother was weak, but maybe she just wanted to help her mother and get close, as I had the joy of doing. Not every family is the same, or close, and some have no one. But there are people out there that can help fill that proccess, as I think I have read about them, maybe hospice knows. Yes it is scarry to hurt, and die, but God must have his reasons. There are days that I feel that my children are so busy that they might now have that kind of time, or patience for me. Everyone is working, moving, or on their phone, or a movie at night...you know, I'm busy watching a movie Mom/Dad. Why not talk to your family, or hospice, or church, now. There are great payoffs for those left behind that help you through the final journey, but in my opinion, into the arms of Jesus. 

Dianne Brenneman
Periodic Contributor

Wait a minute! "My friends (sic) mother took the easy way out and she said she will never forgive her for being so weak." I assume the woman committed suicide. It is easy to pass judgement on another when you do not truly know what is going on with an individual. I believe the daughter, needs to realize that she does not know what, precisely, was going on with her mother. You suggest they were not close. Perhaps, Mom knew that daughter was a judgemental person and incapable of providing empathy and therefore kept her own counsel. The mother's suicide, assuming that is what is being talked about, may have been one of the most courageous act that a human being can do.

I think it is impossible to truly judge a person who decides to end their own life. There are people who live with pain & it becomes more than they are able to continue living with. That can be physical as well as emotional pain. I think Mental Illness is highly misunderstood & can be overwhelming for the sufferer. Often even the family who are touched by generations of mental illness accept the fear & stigma that is prevalent in society. When they do they are unable to help or understand their family member who suffers from MI. The case you mentioned is a case in point. Your friend states her mother took the 'easy way out' and you surmise that the mother knew her daughter was incapable of empathy for Mom, so Mom was left with more aloneness when her depression became overwhelming & she acted on it. I think there are far more people in our world who are held in low esteem because they are very sensitive people.
They are often looked down on as being weak or shunned by those who should be valuing the quality of compassion & empathy that many labeled people live with. I have had a lot of MI in my family & it had caused an early death for several family members. These were each caring, sharing people who would go far to help others. But they did not receive the therapy & medications nor supportive understanding from family members that was missing in their lives. When a family member is rejected by other family members (especially in the parent/ child relationship), that can contribute to a person's self esteem to plummet.
More understanding & respect for people who choose to leave this world on their own terms is needed.
Contributor

As long as I have good health in mind, body, and soul. 

Periodic Contributor

read michael gregor's "how not to die".

Trusted Contributor

As long as I am able to get around, enjoy a cold beer, flirt with a woman, and enjoy life, bring it on.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP