Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How are you staying fit while at home?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you staying fit while at home?

Have you been doing any new or fun workouts from your home? Let us know what you're up to!

AARP has a great selection of at-home workout videos. Check them out and get moving!

Contributor

I have diabetes and have exercised for years to help with my blood sugar. I have one bedroom dedicated to my exercise room. I have weights, a stationary bicycle and my yoga mat. I do weights, two days a week, yoga two days a week and I walk two days a week. I recently have been Rucking, which is putting a 35# pack on while walking. The claim is that you will get 3 times more of a work out than just walking. Mixing it up keeps me active and interested in exercising.

Steve

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I LEARNED HOW TO WALK!

I started walking about 3 months ago and currently average a little over 5 miles a day. I used to get bored walking and now I can't wait to get out in the morning. 

MY SECRET

I listen to Podcasts and purchased Audible form Amazon.  There is a podcast for every interest and my two favorites are aging and sports. Sports are easy, I pop between ESPN & FOX Sports and that's enough.

It took some time to find good aging/health podcasts but it's working. My favorite guy is Dr. Gundry. I purchased his book, but you get all the information in his weekly podcast. Lost 15 lbs.

Walkings not new or exciting, but I am enjoying it with the help of books and podcasts

Super Contributor

At home, I do body strengthening exercises, stretches, and get up once an hour to run in place. Sometimes, I will exercise to a workout video on YouTube.  I do like going outdoors to walk, run, and cycle as well.

Contributor

Since I've been working from home I do hourly exercises from my desk between tasks - squats, walking in place, light weights for upper body.  I take short walk at lunch for fresh air and additional steps.

Periodic Contributor

I've been walking 3-4 miles several times a week with a friend around 7am (we're both morning people).  I also bought a 6-lb medicine ball and resistance bands for strength training.  I miss my gym but these exercises will help me a bit while I wait.

Contributor

Yes. I do HITS training, walk aerobics and I ride a stationary bike. I try to work out at least 4-5 days per week. 

I climb up the stairwell of my 7 floor complex. I then enter the next floor and go back down to the bottom floor. I try to repeat as many times as my health will allow. I also move my arms in small circles as I walk, or stand still. This really gets the heart pumping and circulates my blood. I feel the intensity of doing the arm rotations, but after the workout with my arms especially, I can breath better. By the way, I wear my face mask and try not to over exert. I also wear plastic gloves or regular clothe gloves to hold on to the stairwell rails.

Periodic Contributor

Wow, lydial, those are a LOT of stairs!  We live in a townhouse and I'm up and down 2 flights all day long.   I don't know what I'd do without them!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

IMG_9711.jpg

I just resumed my Saturday morning hikes at a local park.  I've missed these so much.  Most people are wearing masks and make room on the trail.   We are all in this together.  Stay healthy.  

Periodic Contributor

I ride my bicycle 30 miles at least 3 times a week and I walk with my wife 2 times a week for at least 1 mile each. My cycling takes up 2 hours with hills and trying to out run the Porsches, BMWs, Rovers, etc. My 16 pound bike has never out run these motorized vehicles in 40 years of riding.

Periodic Contributor

For over 18 years I facilitated Music Movements & Rhythms classes within Senior Centers - first week alone I felt so bad so I revamped and now back in action Via Zoom...same routines, same music & same me!   Try and incorporate what you did before this & try it out another way.

AverymelloDee7
Periodic Contributor

I have 3 different routes for walking to give me viewing variety and avoid boredom.   The variety encourages me to indulge in regular walking.

Contributor

When the SIP began, I committed to walking 5 miles a day, weather permitting.  Above and beyond that, I set the goal of walking every street in the hamlet Iโ€™ve lived in for 32 years.  Itโ€™s only less than 4 square miles, but I learned so much about the place I live in and the great people who live here.  And I only got lost twice!

Periodic Contributor

Cycling 3 times a week @ 30 miles each with hills and hiking 2 times a week with hills @ 78 years old. Thanks for asking.

Periodic Contributor

I work out while watching YouTube videos. Yoga with Adriene, Fitness Blender, and GynRa channels have many to choose from. I also take hour or more walks most days. 

Iโ€™m eating one cup cake and one brownie one bowl of chocolate cocoa pebbles at a time so that means if I have one of every thing in a day Iโ€™ve done a lot of exercise just trying to eat all the goodies in one Day write..

Periodic Contributor

Just had my Friday night brownie before Blue Bloods...stay well...

AverymelloDee7

Walking 3-4 miles 3 x per week and doing choosing a HASfit video from their YouTube channel to do 3-4 x per week. Love their videos. They have all kinds of videos for every fitness level and part of the body. 

I am taking walks outdoors when the weather permits and watching the 10 minute exercise videos with various trainers on the AARP App. I like that they are short and I do them throughout the day. I like that I can mix up the routines

Trusted Contributor

for me, i'm doing just as i always do: i'm eating as i always do reading, watching t.v. ect. but the only exercise i get is the best one: walking. since i have no means of transport walking is all i do. i do use public busing when i need to go far & do my main shopping but for a few items & if i have to go to several places i walk.

Contributor

bike when the weather allows 5-15 miles. 20 minutes 2X daily on nordic trac treadmill at 3.3 mph on level. Can be adjusted for steeper angles but level is fine at that pace for seniors (55+).  This is more than enough to elevate heart rate for 20 minutes-that's about one mile at 3.3mph-and doesn't overstress leg muscles. 

Contributor

My daughter and I are working hard in my backyard garden. She and my almost 2 yr. old grandson moved in with me and he REALLY helps keep me in shape!!

My husband and I power walk for and hour and a half every morning on our deserted beach.  

Exercise with YouTube walking videos and walk 2 miles 4- 5 days per week.

Contributor

By walking 2 miles a day with 5 days a week with neighbors.  Trying to do 10,000 steps by keeping moving

Contributor
Contributor

Good Day! I walk every other day 2-3 miles.I plan on going back to Planet Fitness next week but I am nervous about it.I am high risk because of 72 and moderate COPD.When I am in a grove I work the Planet 3 days a week and walk on off days.Gain 9 pounds since layoff  of 3/20 and still not back to work.Got to take off.Lol

Contributor

Sounds good. I liked Planet Fitness when I used to go. I am not going back. I like the fact that I can do almost everything at home and I don't have to pay a membership fee. 

Regular Contributor

Ride my bike daily, I do body weight workouts, and use light weights for muscular endurance and hiking is good too!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP