Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Consumer Cellular is a bad choice

Why do you continue to promote Consumer Cellular?  They did not treat me fairly after I joined them on your recommendation.

I moved my cellular service from AT&T thinking I would get a better price with better service.  I also needed a new phone.  After buying a new Consumer Cellular Apple Iphone and having their service for nearly 4 weeks, I decided to discontinue my relationship with Consumer Cellular because I had continued problems with its service.  When I went to move my service back to AT&T and to activate the new apple phone I got through Consumer Cellular with AT&T, I learned that my new phone was locked and needed Consumer Cellular to unlock it.  Consumer Cellular informed me that in the contract that was displayed on their web page, it says that if I buy a new Apple Phone through them, I can’t have it unlock for six month after I purchased it.  This means that, even though I can cancel my service at anytime, I can’t unlock my new phone for six months, locking me into a relationship with Consumer Cellular for six months.

I hold you somewhat responsible for me being in this situation because you recommended them to me.  Shame on you.

Periodic Contributor

Exactly! I trusted Consumer Cellular ONLY because of their endorsement by AARP. What a mistake. 

They are a fraudulent operation that preys on seniors through lies and deceit. 

No matter what you are told by their "customer service" reps, do not believe them, especially if you are purchasing a phone through them. I was told I could exchange a flip phone, which was technically incoherent on so many levels, for a less expensive, easier to use phone for my elderly friend.

I was forced to pick up all shipping charges and then found out they refused the phone because it wasn't "like new". The issue? A microscopic scratch in the charging port. Other than that its appearance and functionality were perfect.

Also, don't be fooled by their AARP endorsement. When I complained to AARP, they dragged their feet contacting Consumer Cellular and then weeks later told me there was nothing they could do.

Buyer (especially seniors) be very, very careful with both these organizations. They are not what they say they are.
Regular Contributor

Other

11/5/2022
No message left but reading the other comments I know it's consumer cellular. I only had my account with them about five months. Canceled because their company/or website was hacking my credit cards. I was able to trace it to them. since i left them, the problem stopped. Yeah, they want their last bill they can take me to court would love to let law enforcement know they are stealing credit cards and refused to take responsibility.

Other
2/22/2022
Both I and my wife received texts telling us that our "e invoice" did not go through, and to call this number. I had already received an email from company with my bill to be paid next month. This alerted me to the strong possibility that it was a scam. With so many people complaining, it obviously is. Please investigate and prosecute.

Other
10/17/2021
Call was from consumer cellular reminding me that renewal is up in 10 days - wanted to verify address, email and billing. Caller offered help that I DIDN'T need, but was friendly.

Debt Collector
8/29/2021
I have recently changed my CC number, because someone wuld not stop sending me thing athat I didn't order. The stuff was very expensive and I had tried to make them stop and couldn't. I changed my CC number with Cinsumer Cellular. They called me using the phone number listed above. I hung up on them 3 times. They stated my credit cartd was declined. I had to give them CC number and pay my bill right away. They said the would cut off my phone service. I new my bill was paiid with my new card. That's why I called you to check where the call was coming from. I am a senior citizen, but I am not easley fooled. I worry about other senior citizens who are believing these people.

Other
6/14/2021
The caller claimed to be from Consumer Cellular. He knew certain details about my account that only an employee/customer service agent would know!! He said he would activate a certain account in my I never told him any details about my account!! He already knew!! But he never did resolve anything on my Consumer Cellular account! Clearly this was a scam call. But HOW are scammers getting hold of private customer information? These scammers call you already knowing whats in your Consumer Cellular account! How is that possible?
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT.  Sometimes you have to use a magnifying glass.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi, here to help! I am sorry to hear of your experience with Consumer Cellular. It is not uncommon for cell providers to have a waiting period prior to unlocking a device. Unlocking a device typically has eligibility requirements which include a certain amount of time the device has to be active with their company. For example, a T-Mobile device on a pre-paid plan has to be active for at least 365 days. 

If you feel as though your service issues are not being handled appropriately or are experiencing difficulties, you can always contact AARP for help if there's an issue with an AARP provider. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text.

•            Description of your issue
  •            Mention that you are requesting an escalation

We look forward to hearing from you!

Trusted Social Butterfly

I would contact my local tv station and ask for consumer problem assistance and see if they can help you to correct this situation...

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP