Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

I'm not on Facebook. Anyone else not? And why?

Social Butterfly

I'm not on Facebook. Anyone else not? And why?

So many people say, "Why aren't you on Facebook?" I get less kind versions of that question too! 🙄😲  It just seems like one more thing to "manage" in my life.  Also, one more way to get identity thief issues.  I communicate with my family and small intimate circle of friends fine without it.  Christine

Regular Contributor

I've been on Facebook for several years.  I have family all over the United States and across the globe.  It's a great way for all of us to keep in touch and share special moments in our lives through pictures. 

Social Butterfly

@Jerseystorm I'm glad that you have had positive experiences on Facebook, and are able to stay connected internationally.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thus far there have been no problems.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rhymesometimes use to. Left it several times and finally walked away when I retired. As I age, I have no interest in online drama. Great post 🙂

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I was on Facebook to connect with friends and relatives, then started playing games there. No longer on the site, for many reasons, the main one being messages that were well unsolicited. I also am not on hangouts or any other messaging service except messenger and message (the one that comes with the cell phone. My daughters also aren't on Facebook, they call it Fakebook

Shari
Social Butterfly

@st18688804 Thank you for sharing that.  It sounds like a great description Fakebook, clever.  I'm the first to say I don't have a Facebook life, it's far from perfect, but I'm grateful for my imperfect perfect life! ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @st18688804 luv the fakebook.

Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, Christine!

Great post! Thank you for this topic!

I am on FB and have been for a while; I joined tagging along with my then twenty-something daughters... I haven't been "active" there for so long, partially due to unsolicited messages; I check in with the daughters' accounts just to see if I miss a grandchild's pic 😉

That being said, I was an early adopter (charter member #18) of myspace; I miss that very much; seemed to be more interest driven and not as open to commercial users, and abusers.

I think had Mark et al (Eduardo, Andrew, Dustin, Chris) kept it specific to college students, then grown other projects, it would be an entirely different thing now; to me it's as if FB soul was sold...

mho

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman , Humor, information and a point of view, you really are a wise woman, beyond just the web. 🕸 Christine

Silver Conversationalist

Altho I am not on FB myself - my bride does roam thru some of it  - mainly to see what our relatives Back East are doing.  She does not do any posting.  Our daughter is the only one of our 5 kids that is on it.  Who knows - one day I might join and poke around a bit.  

Wow!  I hit a wrong key and was suddenly in Print Mode.  Thought All was lost, but fortunately stumbled upon a feature here that allowed me to come back and continue my note.  Thanks AARP.  Better quit while am ahead.

Conversationalist

I resisted Facebook completely for a long time because of my concerns about privacy issues. But a few years ago, I finally decided to create an account to promote something I was working on, using a pseudonym — which evidently is against the rules. (Shh, don't tell Zuckerberg!) After dipping my toe in there that way, I realized it wasn't for me and was glad I didn't use my real name. 

I joined "Nextdoor" about seven years ago when there was very few people in my neighborhood on it. I reluctantly used my real name and address, per their requirement. Nextdoor initially seemed very serious about vetting new members — making sure they were actual residents of the neighborhoods they claimed to live in, so I didn't see any way around it even if I wanted to use an alias. Eventually, as more and more people around here joined Nextdoor, I saw posts from obviously phony names. And, shortly after that, the same bad behavior that seems to occur on almost all social media platforms seemed to follow. I don't dare post any neighborhood issues on Nextdoor anymore because of the way the mob dog-piles on everyone.

So far, my experience here on AARP's Community section has been the exception to the rule regarding what I've experienced on most other forms of social media (if this can be defined as such), and I hope this continues.

Social Butterfly

@AvocadoDog , A "mob dog-pile", could be a very big mess for an Avocado Dog.  Avoid at all costs!  Seriously, I'm sorry you have had those experiences.  Your cautionary tale makes me more leery about going on social media in general.  I'll stick with  AARP forums for now. Christine

Trusted Contributor

I've been on Facebook since 2014. Initially, because I wanted a marketplace (it's the biggest in the world) I can sell my books. I also have relatives in faraway places and that's how we keep in touch. It's become a necessity for me. So far, I haven't witnessed anything untoward happen - knock on wood.

Facebook.com/wanjiruwarama

wanjiruwarama.com  

Wanjiru Warama
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Always enjoy your posts AvocadoDog!

Bronze Conversationalist

I have been on Facebook for longer than I even know, and consequently, I can totally understand why people don't want to be there. I moved there when a professional forum got vindictive, along with many colleagues who were likewise fed up. So for me, I have professional family there, and we've learned how to use the settings to prevent ugly ranting posts from showing up in our feeds, and block problem strangers.  I appreciate continuing close connection there.\

I really do understand those who don't want it in their lives. Nothing wrong with that. 😉

Social Butterfly

@DeahWA , So glad you have found settings on Facebook to block problems. I totally understand having to be on Facebook for work.  My daughter's career requires a large amount of time involved with social media.  Since I'm retired now, and didn't have previous jobs tied in with social media, I just stayed off.   Christine

Bronze Conversationalist

We never have been on Facebook and never will be. You are so right about the way people ask that question, it's like they take it personally that we aren't on it. We'd rather see family and friends in person or talk over the phone. Facebook is like an invasion of privacy and God knows there's enough of that in the world.

Social Butterfly

@postman29 , Glad to know I'm not the only one getting weird responses when they say they're not on Facebook.   Thank you postman. Oh, btw, I'm not on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or any other social media. Just want to have a simple, streamlined life. Email and a few AARP forums are enough for me.  Christine

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

You are not alone. With all of the nastiness going on it's best to keep it to things that make you happy. Thanks for always creating great topics on these forums too.  It is very much appreciated!

Social Butterfly

@postman29 , Thank you for your kind words.  I get a kick out of posting and reading on the forums. Learning a great deal, and some of it is just plain entertaining. Especially enjoy a sense of humor.  We could all use more of that in the world!  Christine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP