Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Message 11 of 53

I've had terrible tinnitus since 1995.  It's constant, so I use backround noise, like a radio, to cover it.  I had brain cancer in 1995 and the radition therapy that followed the surgery damaged my aural nerves.  This made me almost deaf, but I sure can hear that high pitched whine.  Beats the heck out of dying of brain cancer!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 53

To the person who posted a "Crybaby Button" -- that might have sounded (!) insensitive, but that advice is essentially what my audiologist told me. He said I should do my very best to ignore it, because it's in my brain not my ears, and dwelling on it may make it grow louder or at least seem louder.

My audiologist also said it's essentially my brain trying to hear something because there's not enough aural stimulation. (I live on a quiet street in the country.) He suggested some kind of background noise, like music. I can't say that has helped, but it hasn't hurt either.

My tinnitus sounds like a fairly loud mosquito whine, and it's pretty constant. I've found that I don't hear it when I'm around a river with raipds, such as the Youghiogheny in Ohiopyle, PA. A white-noise machine, turned up fairly loud, helps a bit also, and it's a lot closer. :-) I also sing with a local chorus. I hear the tinnitus when we're taking notes from the director, but during the actual singing I don't. Maybe it's just that my attention is diverted from it, but it's a welcome relief regardless.

As you probably know, there's no cure known at this point. I figure in a few years I'll go back and ask again, because medical science is finding new cures all the time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 53

I've had tinnitus for almost 20 years.  While the common myth is that a mis-spent youth working and playing at loud concerts caused it, the more likely reason was 15 years working as a field representative for a major company in print and reproduction.  While the overall loundness was far below a concert's (The Who - Quadrophenia - @140db) it was the daily exposure that damaged my inner ear.

In my case it sound like I live in a passenger jet all day long.  Since I now suffer a measurable hearing loss I may find some relief with hearing aids.  When bad, the tinnitus blurs sylibants and makes clear understanding difficult.  If I am engrossed in a task, I no longer notice the noise - so the brain can learn to "tune it out."  Unfortunately, unlike jet noise, there is no way to externally cancle out the frequencies.  

I am hoping that a set of hearing aids can raise the "noise floor" so that conversation is above the constant "hiss" I hear.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 53

Yes

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 53

Good morning!  I have severe tinnitus, too...I've had it since 1995.  I had brain cancer and the radiation therapy afterwards damaged my aural nerves...rending me almost deaf and with severe tinnitus.  It sucks, but I'm grateful to be alive.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 53
Have you considered scheduling an appointment with an ENT ( Ear Nose Thoat) rather than an Audiologist?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 53

I’ve had it for years now in one ear only, which also is losing ability to hear.  High pitch tones usually which is miserable when I try to sleep.  I have aid which seems to help soften the sounds sometimes.  I’m wondering if and when I can no longer hear in that ear, if the tinnitus will stop!  Really wish there was solution.  

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 53

@ahsierra wrote:

Yes, I suffer from it and frankly it is beyond me that all I get from my Dr. is that there’s nothing that can be done!!  It can be extremely disturbing specially late afternoon every day!!

HELP!!

Is your tinnitus loud enough to mask real sounds?  For example, my tinnitus, which has a peak frequency of about 10 KHz., prevented me from hearing what women with high pitched voices were saying.  After 30 years, although my tinnitus hasn't diminished, I can now understand them and my tinnitus doesn't bother me at all.  

If your tinnitus isn't loud enough to prevent you from hearing real sounds, you should stop complaining because you will get used to it. 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 53

If the tinnitis was the side effect of a fluoridated drug like one of the fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Cipro, etc.) your fluoridated toothpaste and fluoridated tap water could be setting you off. Ditto for foods made with fluoridated water or substances, and that includes tea, cofffee, wine, beer.... 

For the first time in I don't know how long, I had a short spell just yesterday. I know exactly what I ate to set me off because it was something I only very rarely eat and when thinking about it I realized it has a high water content.

I'm lucky as all my episodes have been short lived - so in my case I was able to ignore it - but that is bad advice. Tininitis was my body telling me I was being poisoned. Definitely consult another doctor, but don't count on them. Took me decades to figure this out. Vertigo and arthritis were just two of the other symptoms I 'lived with' that were symptoms of fluoride poisoing and much more debilitating. Let me tell you, I was impaired... and now I'm furious. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 53

I just recently started experience the symptoms of tinnitus.  This started to occur after I started taking antibiotics for an infection which they say can be a cause for this to happen.  My symptoms are just a low whistling sound but I'm concerned that it could get worse.  Talked to my doctor about it and he told me to not think about it and it will not impair you.....yuck.  Sounds like bad advice so I plan on visitind an audiologist to see if any else can help address this.

Kudos
Views