Technology has the power to transform caregiving. Learn about caregiving's new wave.
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Message 11 of 31
I do. I hate it. I am pretty sure I could hear everything else a lot better without that background noise. Anyone have any ideas??
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 31

Mine came a year after using a medication that is known to cause tinnitus. Sometimes it's such a high pitch I think my eardrums will rupture ir I'll go crazy first. Ear doctor said I have hearing loss in both ears but mostly the right side. The doctor said a hearing aid might help but, who can afford them? Not me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 31

I lost hearing in one ear after a root canal. Now I have very loud tinnitus in that ear. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 31

I've been told I have hearing loss after several tests and last year I purchased a pair of hearing aids for both ears.  I also have tinnitis but feel it has gotten worse since I've started wearing them.  Don't know if that's the cause though.   

What I hear is something like the wind and sometimes it sounds louder than other times. Getting back to those hearing aids, which I'm still trying to get used to. They do cost a pretty penny but I feel I could've gotten the same thing for a much less price than what I paid.  They usually range in price from 1500 dollars each.  

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 31

Yes - that's what the Doctor says it is.  H hear ringing in my ears all of the time and have for several years.  It is bad all of the time, so much so that I do not hear as well as I have in the past (or cannot decipher sounds as well)  I always, ALWAYS, hear the ringing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 31

FYI....In addition to comment below:

Veterans are provided free hearing aids....contact your local VA office.

Financial assistance may be available to you through many different programs listed here:  

http://www.betterhearing.org/sites/default/files/hearingpedia-resources/Financial_Assistance_for_Hea...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 31

Some Sam's Club stores have Hearing Centers.  They have many different styles of hearing aids and personal sound amplifiers at a fraction of the cost of going to a hearing center.  They do the testing there too.

My tinnitus has become so bad, that I am finally going to get a hearing aid or a personal sound amplifier.  My doctor said I would know when it was time, when I couldn't understand what people are saying to me (when in a crowd) that it affects my daily life and work.  My family is telling me it's time.  It's not that I didn't want one, but I didn't have $4,000-$5,000 for a pair.

I am definitely go to Sam's Club to see about their service, now that they are much more affordable than before!

Also, an interesting article....https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2017/hearing-aid-no-prescriptions-legislation-fd...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 31

My Grandmother had tinnitus, but it was mostly nosie in her ears or head.  I've been getting music, only music, like a band playing the same tune over and over.  It's isn't bad, but it is annoying.  I never connected it with epilepsy. I don't know much about epilepsy, but I thought that was related more to mobility issues, not hearing. 

I have hearing aids that work well for understanding speech. I don't wear them regularly, but I still "hear" that repetitious music playing in the background.  My Grandmother wasn't able to wear hearing aids because they magnified the noises she heard from the tinnitis. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 31
all my life lol. Off and on, when its quiet, I get a roaring ( like niagra falls) in my ears. I have slept with a TV on since my teens because of it. My son has it too. Its not EVERY night, and doesnt happen ( or isnt noticable) when other noise is going on..like mowing or something.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 31

Recently I noticed after friends of mine were talking about sounds in the years that I have a continual soft noise in my ears. Not quite sure if it's like soft buzzing, it's hard to describe. Should I get my ears checked?

Kudos
Views