AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Do you or anyone you know suffer from tinnitus?

Message 1 of 16

FYI....In addition to comment below:

Veterans are provided free hearing aids....contact your local VA office.

Financial assistance may be available to you through many different programs listed here:  

http://www.betterhearing.org/sites/default/files/hearingpedia-resources/Financial_Assistance_for_Hea...

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 16

Some Sam's Club stores have Hearing Centers.  They have many different styles of hearing aids and personal sound amplifiers at a fraction of the cost of going to a hearing center.  They do the testing there too.

My tinnitus has become so bad, that I am finally going to get a hearing aid or a personal sound amplifier.  My doctor said I would know when it was time, when I couldn't understand what people are saying to me (when in a crowd) that it affects my daily life and work.  My family is telling me it's time.  It's not that I didn't want one, but I didn't have $4,000-$5,000 for a pair.

I am definitely go to Sam's Club to see about their service, now that they are much more affordable than before!

Also, an interesting article....https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2017/hearing-aid-no-prescriptions-legislation-fd...

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 16

I'm so glad I found your comment.  My Grandmother had tinnitus, but it was mostly nosie in her ears or head.  I've been getting music, only music, like a band playing the same tune over and over.  It's isn't bad, but it is annoying.  I never connected it with epilepsy. I don't know much about epilepsy, but I thought that was related more to mobility issues, not hearing. 

I have hearing aids that work well for understanding speech, but I don't wear them regularly. I'm retired and spend most of my time on the computer writing.  I was a technical writer for many years, so I'm used to writing on a computer, but I still "hear" that repetitious music playing in the background.  

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 16
all my life lol. Off and on, when its quiet, I get a roaring ( like niagra falls) in my ears. I have slept with a TV on since my teens because of it. My son has it too. Its not EVERY night, and doesnt happen ( or isnt noticable) when other noise is going on..like mowing or something.
So it begins.
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 16

Recently I noticed after friends of mine were talking about sounds in the years that I have a continual soft noise in my ears. Not quite sure if it's like soft buzzing, it's hard to describe. Should I get my ears checked?

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 16

Lipo flavonoid is an over the counter medicine that has been available for over 50 years. Try it it comes with a money back guarantee if not happy.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 16
i am finding that the best way to heal my bad leg is to not use it. i have been disabled since 2012. it was really hard to do. the doctor said some get in 2 years 5, 7 and never. what was so hard for me to learn is this that the muscles and bones were torn and the more when i use the muscle i am at risk of tearing these legiments in my leg even more. people are aware of how hard shoes on our feet are. you may not know it but they also do great damage to our leg even going on a walk to a store. i have been relying on the community more to help with services like laundry, shopping and mail orders. sometimes 1 lift can set you way back again.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 16

I do not suffer from Tinnitus, but I came across this article whilel researching vitamins a few days ago.

There seens to be some pretty good advice in there.

To quote from the article:

The following tips may help lessen the severity of tinnitus:

• Avoid exposure to loud sounds and noises.

• Get your blood pressure checked. If it is high, get your clinician’s help to control it.
  • Decrease your intake of salt. Salt impairs blood circulation.
  • Avoid stimulants such as coffee, tea, cola and tobacco.
  • Exercise daily. It improves your circulation.
  • Get adequate rest.

Avoid fatigue.

• Stop worrying about the noise. Recognize your head noise as an annoyance and learn to ignore it as much as possible.

Here is the link to the whole article: http://www.pamelaegan.com/tinnitus/

Geaux Tigers!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 16

I have had tinnitus for 35 years.  Its predominant frequency is 10 kHz..    Initially, I wasted a lot of money looking for a cure.  Now, I couldn't care less.  My only advice to you is to stop being desperate for a cure because you will eventually get used to it.  Too many people take advantage of needlessly desperate people.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 10 of 16

I have had it for over a year. I believe it started after an ear infection when my ear was flushed about 15 times to removed wax. I had them stop because I was getting dizzy. Some days are good, and others are bad. Group on facebook... https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tinnitussupportgroup/