Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Password Manager?

Message 1 of 68

I use Keeper.  I have used it for years. I have well over 100 passwords in it. It's on my phone and computer.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 68

LastPass has prebuilt forms specifically for a wide variety of needs (credit cards, social security, software licenses, and many more). I use it for all the security questions and answers for each site -- and I use a unique lie for each and every security question on each and every site). It has two different types of entries, one for web sites, and one for "Secure Notes", which can be used for almost everything else. LastPass also lets adds fields and insert images (like copies of my passport). Almost all my passwords are randomly generated by LastPass, with options to include or not include groups of characters (lower case, upper case, numbers, special characters), and to select the length.

I used to use Keychain, but found that LastPass provided everything I need, and does it securely. It also works perfectly on Windows systems, Linux, and even allows secure access via the web.

What LastPass does not do is to record a password history for each web site. When I am changing a password I manually add the previous password to the Notes for that site, so that I have both the old and the new (random, LastPass generated) password.

Still, any password manager is far better than none.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 68

Good point, and of course it's free and integrates well with everything Apple.

But the features don't really match the other programs we've discussed so far. For example, I always jot down the answers to the esoteric security questions that many sites like to use so I'm sure to type it exactly (capitalization etc.)

1Password (my favorite) also keeps my password history, generates random passwords with a configurable recipe to match the website requirement and let's me add custom fields to a record when needed. Not to mention that you can add specific types of records like credit cards, driver's licenses, and even store a receipt or other document.

I also use 1Password to keep track of my software licenses. It knows when I purchased the software, how much I paid and most importantly what the license key is in case I have to reinstall later.

Although I do use Keychain, I make sure that 1Password is always holding the correct info and that becomes the de facto place to look.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 68

Keeping track of passwords on paper is great if you use a unique long password for every purpose, always use a random password, and NEVER use an easily guessed password. With current hacker technology, that means do not use a word from any dictionary ever published, even with substitution of numbers for letters. I prefer a password manager so I don't have to manually enter passwords like %$Nsw7MM#!mdKt&7

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 68

I use LastPass because it is very secure. The simple test: if you lose your password for the password manager, can the company recover it? If so,their security is unacceptably low. LastPass does pass this test; all data is encrypted on your device, and no unencrypted data ever leaves your device(s). LastPass securely syncs among all my devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad, Windows PC...)  so my data is always available on every device. AES 256 bit encryption is great, but only if properly implemented. LastPass creates the key from your email, password and more (for the techie, a unique random "salt" and then passes it though an algorithm designed to create 256 bits of seemingly random bits over 100,000 times.All that and more is necessary to make the encryption really strong.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 68

I use Keychain because it is built into Apple computers, tablets, and phones and is free to use, and syncs across devices. So if you’re in the Apple ecosystem you’re all set. You’re article should have mentioned it. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 68

LastPass.  Great product.  Great value.  Most of the IT people I know (I'm still one) use it.  Follows me no matter which browser I use no matter which device (home, work, iPad, iPhone).

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 68

1Password

I like the ability to change a password on my iMac and, within minutes, my iPhone and my MacBook know the new password.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 68

I have used LastPass for several years and love it! User friendly. Although I use the free program, the few times I've needed to contact Customer Service, they have answered promptly. Paying customers receive expedited responses. LastPass also offers the free option of adding someone who can access your account in case something happens and you aren't able to access it yourself, due to illness for example.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 68

No password manager. We keep a document updated on all userid/password/challenge questions. As others have stated, password manager is just as vulnerable to hacking as anything else.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views