There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 41 of 1,088

Mom had dementia to the point she couldn't remember our names or where she was most of the time.  She talked incessantly about where she grew up way back in the boonies, so my son and I decided we would find out where it was and get permission to take her there for a day.  It was a very long walk to get back to her old homestead but the closer we got the more animated she became.  She told stories about growing up there and all the antics she and her brother did back then. We had a picnic lunch there and walked in the creek. She was so happy for that entire day and I was so happy not only to see her happy but to hear all the things she told us.  I treasure that day as much as she did. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 1,088

Winning a contest is great maybe even enjoyable .Yes. I recall road trips with my mother and father and siblings. We would drive yellow Chevrolet station wagon out from Detroit Michigan to Hazelhurst Mississippi travel so long so many roads of highways hills mountain tops.  Recalling the beautiful greenery trees, water rivers, streams, lakes, and ponds.  Just wonderful simple pleasures of vacation.  On arrival to fig tree in front yard of grandparents house ,water mellow patch and chicken coup .  that old mule the livestock.  Good old memories .Of road trip vaction with family. YES.   C Carmichael. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 1,088

My favorite thing to do with my mom which makes her very happy is taking her to visit my dad at the cemetery . She finds great comfort in going there. Although it is a distantance form her and driving is an issue my brother and I love to take her. Its a national veterans cemetery and there is a routine to her visit which consist of leaving a coin everytime we go.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Summer Break Contest

Message 44 of 1,088

Your message helped to give me clarity in a tough situation.thanks

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 1,088

I HAVE NEVER READ SUCH AN INSPIRING MESSAGE AS THIS!!!! GREAT STORY!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 1,088

always loved takeing care of my grand parents during the summer gave me great pride and joy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 1,088

My oldest brother got real sick in  2016 and we almost lost him.  He was a heavy drinker for many years and burned alot of bridges with family and when he was so sick,after being in the hospital for 10 days and finding out he had cancer, I can say that today he is cancer free and is living a new, healthy life.  I helped him through all of his doctors appointments, surgeries, follow up visits, and being the friend he needed to get through all of that

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 1,088

Bom lugar de repouso para idosos!!!felicidades!!! Bom trabalho.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 1,088

I am the best caregiver ever!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 1,088

My husband's parents are in their 80s. My husband remembers as a child taking vacations to the lake to go fishing. His parents are older now, but we try to take the grandkids every month to visit. Life passes by so quickly, and we're thankful for the time that we have together! 

Kudos
Views