Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 101 of 1,088

I love spending time with family.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 1,088

Summer is all about getting that vitamin D! I love to spend time with the grandkids at the pool. Great exercise and good for the soul! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 1,088

HI, 

I'm not sure what i clicked on here. Just wanted to send a hello!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 1,088

I am the caregiver for my mother and husband both. I get so overwhelmed at times, but then I know most of us do.  My mother was in an assisted living facility, but it is not close to home (a couple hours away). I am an only child so it was up to me to make sure she was taken care of as well as spending time with her.  I would make the trip multiple times a week to see her.  But now with my husband being ill, I moved her in with me so I can spend the time with her that we both need.  I am going to try to take them to Branson as it is a place with all used to enjoy.  Our daughter has agreed to meet us so I will have help taking them to shows that would make them feel alive again.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 1,088

Not surte how to get into this

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 1,088

@carluw47315 Thank you for sharing your story and for reminding us that it doesn't always work out. I'm so sorry to hear of all your stress. I'm glad to hear that you are reaching out and getting more help. Having a heart to heart with your sister will hopefully get her more involved. I know it's so easy to be angry at siblings who aren't helping, but I've learned that coming at it with love vs. anger tends to yield better results. Smiley Happy 

This article written by my colleague Dr. Barry Jacobs might have some helpful tips for you! When Caregivers Dislike 'Loved Ones' They Are Caring For

Hope your next vacation/respite trip is wonderful, refreshing and fills your tank! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

Take care,

Amy Goyer, 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 1,088

Because my grandparents invested their time in me when I was a child, I went out of my way to spend time with them as an adult.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 1,088

Visiting relatives in Matamoros, Mexico (we're a Hispanic family) in May (pretty sure that's summer) is a typical yearly outing for my family. Our mother is getting in her ripe years, but goodness at least she isn't in a wheelchair yet.

It's a only a four hour drive from where we live but we have to make sure she doesn't get too hot from the weather and water her like a sunflower xD

Love her very much!! The look on her face and the sound the family makes when we all arrive will be worth it every year ♥

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 1,088

Mom wants to move to a smaller place, so she was downsizing by getting rid of her old documents. I found this little gem on myself. Now whom could I have gotten that motor mouth from...39090172_10156689811493833_2745496997166317568_n.jpg

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 1,088

I highly enjoy giving care! That is all folks.

Kudos
Views