Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 812 of 1,088
WEEK 3 WINNING POST

My dad was a principal of  ahigh school for 38 years and never missed a day. He retired after myson was born to be grandpa and spend time with his only grandhchild. Soon afterwards he delveloped a cough that owuldnt go away. Having never been ill we thought it was a cold or the flu. After seeing his primary care doctor who was almost a strager he was diagnosed with cancer of the throat after many many tests in one day. After that diagnosis everything went very fast. He was scheduled for surgery the next day. ICU and coding twice he  made it through. However he had a prolonged stay inthe hospital which left him unable to walk and unable to talk as they had removed his voice box because of the cancerous growth. He finally was able to go home after  6 weeks inthe hospital and many therapies. It was trying learning how to walk again . Learning how to communicate without talking for some one 73 years old was  difficult for every one. We struggled and  accomplished many things. Everyday challenges were huge. But somehow we maded it through. Dad regain his ability to walk a little. He had one wish which was to have  a family vacation with his only grand son and the rest of  the family. WE managed to get everything together wheelchair and all and plan a family cruise for 5 days. It was magical. It was exhauting. It was memorable. Lost of laughter, great food. many long days and night of making fond memories. I was totally drained after this trip but had to continue care of my father. Dad lasted 2 months after this trip. He died inthe hospital one sunny Sunday watching golf and having family coming by to see him as he had requested. It was pleasure being his caretaker.  If only you could grant every wish you had ever dreamed of inyour heart of hearts.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 813 of 1,088

I am not expecting to win this contest. I only came to say that I can understand the heartache and frustration that goes with me a caretaker.  When my dad was alive he had to put in a nursing home due to his stroke and amputation of one foot.  This was a very hard time for me since I was an only child and was married with 2 young children of my own.  This was a learning experience, I had to grow up fast and try to manage his care and still work and take care of my family.

I know it must me hard for loved ones to care for an elderly parent or realtive that live with them. I wish everyone in that stituation the very best of luck and love.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 814 of 1,088

we really enjoyed a weekend together with my grandmother.  we went upstate in new york, and stayed in a quaint inn.  we all went swimming and took nice walks.  we also went to the local library to take out books to read.  it was a real relaxing vacation.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Online Community Caregiving Summer Travel Contest 2018

Message 815 of 1,088

I find when my elderly parents and I travel we try to stop to eat early to help avoid the lines and make sure they do not run out of something we want.  It is also easier without a lot of crowds.  Always make sure to ask for early check in and the handicape room.  There are also usually special offers for senior citizens at the different attractions.  Just always make sure to call ahead so you do not have to wait. This will help your trip run much smoother.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 816 of 1,088

My summer was amazing like omg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Sweepstakes

Message 817 of 1,088

My mom is living alone and doesn’t get out much. Sometimes I forgot that it doesn’t take elaborate planning of a trip

to make her feel better. She loves to go shopping and eat out with my boys and me. It also doesn’t have to be a grand vacation planned to have her feel like she has had a vacation. Just getting out of her house and away for a weekend will do.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 818 of 1,088

This story is about my wife.  We divorced in 2004 & remarried in 2009.  how ever, the journey was a long one.  We divorced while I was n active duty in the Army.  Shortly after in 2005, I was hospitalized with complications from colon cancer surgery.  Twice I was near death & my then ex-wife was by my side encouraging me to hang on to life.  That is just part of the story.  She lived in Milwaukee WI & I was hospitalize in Great Lakes Naval hospital in Illinoise.  She drove 60 miles to be with me after she left he nursing home where here mother was cnfined with Alzhimers.  It was also after she got through taking care of her only brother who was hospitalized at the VA hospital in Milwaukee where he was confined with the later stages of Muktiple Sclerosous.  She made this circuit for over 6 months until I was eventually transferred to the VA hospital in Milwaukee.  When I was released from care after 8 months, we started seeing each other as friends, then we started dating & the next thing we knew we were in love all over again.  My wife is my hero and my best friend.  I don't think I'd be here today if not for her.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 819 of 1,088

All I can say is AARP is the best!!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Basically Homebound

Message 820 of 1,088
@leem.......what a blessing you are to your Mother. So glad to read your post.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.