Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Periodic Contributor

I would share with my 5 children and grandchildren and Great granchildren

0 Kudos

Upgrade our city's resources for helping the homeless to be able to provide shelter for more people, provide more meals, warm and clean clothing, and bathing facilities.  Share the gospel of Jesus with all who want to hear. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Buy a new mobile home or at least fix the roof on the one I have! Maybe a new car and travel.
0 Kudos
Contributor

First I would give 10% to charity. Then I would pay off all my unsecured debts, essentially everything except my mortgage. Next in line would be the mortgage. Then put the remainder into savings. This would give me plenty of time to think about the next step. I would be very inclined to plan to make aliyah since the savings would be enough to let me travel between California and Israel whenever necessary.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Give 10% to God, save 10%, pay off debt, share withe children, family and the poor.
Contributor

I'd finish some house remodeling and buy some clothes.

0 Kudos

I would put a fence around my property and fix my well.  Then we would travel a lot.

My partner has a bad back and I would like the help.

0 Kudos
Contributor

As most ,pay off debt. Depending on how much, I would buy a home and furnish it.Save enough to make my monthly income comfortable, as I only have small SSI and SSD. Give to some other's that could use help as in food Banks and if possible, put some away for my end, so not to be a burden on my eldest. That would be a dream come true.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would remodel my home to make it convenient for me to stay in it. That would include much needed repairs.

Contributor

pay off all debt!!

Contributor

i'd pay off my house, pay of my brothers house, buy a small place so my adult Aspie son  would have a place when i'm no longer here, buy a place for life skills classes (and other classes) for Autism Spectrum kids and adults and secure appropriate teaching staff and set up an endowment (?) plan to keep it going, get some quality health care.....................

Sheesh ! that would have to be som e BIG windfall !

Contributor

pay debts off
Regular Contributor

Invest with a very large reputable investment firm like what we have done all thse years. Instead of spending the principle amount, rely on what income it generates so one can live comfortably for years to come. This idea has worked well over the years for us to retire in comfort and hot have to worry about where would the money come from. Also can leave behind for the future gerations for their studies! 

0 Kudos

I would take my whole family, my children,parents, siblings and their families on a vacation as we have never all been on one. Also remodel my home.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would buy the hosue I am living in or find one more updated and buy it. I would build a shop and double car garage all heated and Air conditioned. THe shop would have a vacuum system to keep it clean while cutting up wood and other soft mess making things. I don't have any bills I can't handle currently. I would also start a business which would get some Homeless off the street and give them work and dignity. I would also pay for my burial services and buy family burial plots as I don't believe any of my family members have cemetary plots. I would set some aside for those who I have never met and are related to me. If there was something left after that, I would buy an annuity so I had enough to continue paying for what I started. There would be help for people down on their luck. I have been known to share what I have with others.

Contributor

If I got a sudden windfall of money, I'd put 1/4 of it in trust for my deaf adult child. Life is difficult for him and his future, like most people - but even more so - and is uncertain. I'd gift another 1/4 to the S.E.E. Center in Los Alamitos, California, which is a non-profit organization toward the development of literacy of deaf children. They have done so much for so many without the proper recognition they deserve. I'd take 1/4 of it and I'd pay off my mortgage. The last 1/4 I'd keep in reserve for retirement. If only.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

BREATHE!

I would pay off my mortgage, dump this house of pain, dump this vile evil city I sadly retired too, and MOVE out of a state that falsely accuses YOU of SOMEONE elses crime! Time for some warm weather too.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Put it in the bank, receive almost no interest and hold it for the next generation.
0 Kudos

i would pay off all my debts, invest some,use some for living expences, and use some to pay for my mother's care. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Payy off all debts first then give my wife a choice of continue working or retire and if anything left help my adult kids.

0 Kudos

First of all I would thank God for His blessing.  Buy me a house.  Start a nonprofit business and donate heavy to different charities and my family

0 Kudos

I been disability for three year first I pay my titles, pay off all my debt, get me a home, a car give to charities, travel, take care of my family and enjoy life
0 Kudos

Buy myself a decent car, fix up my house a bit.  Put the rest in a 401K and use some of it to help out other people.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Donate some money to help out charities within the community...then take my family on a well deserved all expense paid trip (Hawaii?)

0 Kudos

Finish the addition we are putting on our house. Pay off our mortgage.

0 Kudos
Contributor

divide the money up between retirement accounts, debt payoffs, home remodel, oh, and some enjoyment-trip to Hawaii or the east coast.

0 Kudos

I would pay off any debt oweake ad and finally after 30 yrs together and 15 yrs married

go on a long beautiful peaceful honeymoon to Italy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would first pay off all my husband's school loans.  Next would be our home and vehicle - pay them off.  Then I would do any remodeling that needs done on our property.  If there is still funds left, I would see that each of my kids has a new vehicle to drive.  After that, the rest would go in the bank.

Contributor

It depends on what you consider a windfall. A couple of weeks ago I had a young lady hand me $5 and said "You left this at the counter." I was dumbstruck and pocketed the money. I realized as I was driving off that it couldn't be mine since I always pay with the Starbuucks app. The next day when I came back, I left it in the tip jar. Here are what I consider the levels of windfall and whaI I would do with it:

$100 - Dinner at Ruth Chris Steak House. Been there once for a fantastic dinner.
$1,000 - Put in the bank and spend it on Christmas gifts for the family.
$10,000 - Buy my recently divorced daughter a new car.
$100,000 - Pay off my mortgage.
$1,000,000 - now we're talking windfall. Pay off all bills, buy a new house in a better neighborhood, gifts to kids ($100,000 apiece)
$10,000,000 - I'd do the above but increase the gifts to a $1MM each. The remainder would be set aside in a trust to provide future legacies for the kids and grandkids with $3MM to create a family foundation to give anonymous gifts to people in need.
$10,000,000+ - This is a point where the more money available doesn't impact my actions other than to proportionally increase the legacies and gifts.

The idea of a windfall causes each of us to focus inward on our own needs until we reach a point where we feel "satisfied" and begin to focus outward. I think is what most people would. There are certainly exceptions to the rule (e.g., the celebrity who doesn't tip), but I want to believe we are all basically philanthropists waiting for a "windfall".

When my windfall of money comes to me. I would be so generous with my family, friends and people and dogs. I would also be very generous to the people not as lucky as me. Homelessness, poverty would not be in our vocabulary.

SIncerely,

Michelle

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP