Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Contributor

Give it to charities, pay morgages, buy my husband a new wheelchair

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would make some investments, pay off my debts and give a large sum to St judes Childrens Hospital my favorite charity, then take my Grandchildren to Disney and Universal Studios.

0 Kudos

I just lost my husband of 53 years and I would use the money to live comfortably as the Government still hasn't paid me anything so still waiting. They three to six months and could use the money now.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay depts off, then put it into IRA or savings to live on

0 Kudos
Contributor

If I were to receive a windfall of money, I would pay off my Mom's equity loan. With Dad gone, finances are difficult for her. She would help anyone who asked no matter if it was her last dollar. For some reason the folks who she helped out do not feel that have to pay her back. A grandchild actually said why bother paying her back because she will be dead and any money leftover would just go to her daughters. It is so sad how people treat the elderly family members. I want her to know that this kind of relative is a small percentage that she is loved and her family is taking care of her. Although I don't have a high income, I would give her my last dollar just so she feels love and is still wanted. I pray/wish for a windfall so I can give unconditionally to those who are in need, to only see the joy on their face.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@krkos wrote:
If I were to receive a windfall of money, I would pay off my Mom's equity loan. With Dad gone, finances are difficult for her. She would help anyone who asked no matter if it was her last dollar. For some reason the folks who she helped out do not feel that have to pay her back. A grandchild actually said why bother paying her back because she will be dead and any money leftover would just go to her daughters. It is so sad how people treat the elderly family members. I want her to know that this kind of relative is a small percentage that she is loved and her family is taking care of her. Although I don't have a high income, I would give her my last dollar just so she feels love and is still wanted. I pray/wish for a windfall so I can give unconditionally to those who are in need, to only see the joy on their face.

That ungrateful grandchild would be one of your nieces or nephews .. right? Have you spoken to your sister/brother, about how they're raising their children, to use this as a learning opportunity for all of them?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

The rest I would put in the bank and save for my kids future.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would put down on a new house.
0 Kudos

Repair my house foundation and pay off medical bills.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

1) send the Federal government it's due
2) give 10% away to charities immediately
3) put the rest into my planning software and see where I am. Do not pre-spend it in my mind!

Sincerely,
Peter
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

If it were multi-millions, I would share with my children.  Become and active Republican and then do whatever we want to do.  If it's $50K, I'd take the family on a cruise and bank the rest. 

0 Kudos

I hear ya!!!!!
0 Kudos

Well right now I would get my credit together and redo my 12 year old apartment and give to some charities and help my mom redo get house that total coming apart. Also some in investments and last but not least buy me and my son a home.
0 Kudos
Contributor

living in hope to pay my medical bills and pass due bills; also this windfall will help me to keep my electric lights on and have money to buy #2 heating oil for the winter, there are many home repairs that needs to be tacked. This 50k will allow me to buy a washer and dryer,my car is broke and the repair is expensive. I am in need all around. Thank you for blessing me with this windfall. "TRUDY"

0 Kudos

I would first, give some to my Church. Then, help my children/Grandchildren and family. Also, visit my family who are everywhere USA.  Then, just live life happily!!

0 Kudos

Take a well deserved vacation to Hawaii.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay Bills!  There is no better feeling than a "Paid in Full"!  ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off bills and help my grandson in college then, take a much needed vacation.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Invest it
Contributor

@AARPLynne wrote:

Hi
Plans for retirement, and buy a home for my family.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Plans for retirement, and buy a home for my family.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off all of my personal debt.  It seems I retired too soon.  I'm only 58, and I wasn't as prepared for retirement as I thought, although I'm enjoying my freedom.

0 Kudos

Am having severe financial difficulty. Would pay off all debts.
0 Kudos

Retire again!!!
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Not sure if I've responded before, but I would add it to my Trust Fund which my children and grandchildren will receive part of when they start on SS. Hopefully, they will use it wisely to live a little better and they will do the same for their next two generations.
Periodic Contributor

If I had a sudden windfall of money, I would give 1/2 to my church,  to Hawaiian Humane Society, to Oahu SPCA, , and if I had left over I would  buy pay off my mortgage, buy a wheelchair,and use the handivan more. Smiley HappySmiley Happy  I would continue to pray for our leaders of this great nation and pray that somehow we can all live in peace with one another.

0 Kudos
Contributor

A donation would be made for Alzheimers. My mom died in 2012 of Alzheimers and it is one of the most unpublicized diseases as compared to others. Very rarely do I see any reference to it on television, yet the public needs to be made aware of it.

With that said, I would then help out a couple of close friends, since I have no family. The rest would be banked and then I would decide what to do or where to go.

0 Kudos

I would give 10 percent first to my church and thank God for my good fortune.  Then I would pay off my debt, share with my family, and invest rest to secure the rest of my future!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off the mortgage and help family.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Buy a lymphedema massage pump, finally add money to my IRA, invest,  travel, & landscape.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP