Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Message 611 of 737

Give it to charities, pay morgages, buy my husband a new wheelchair

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 612 of 737

When my windfall of money comes to me. I would be so generous with my family, friends and people and dogs. I would also be very generous to the people not as lucky as me. Homelessness, poverty would not be in our vocabulary.

SIncerely,

Michelle

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 613 of 737
It depends on what you consider a windfall. A couple of weeks ago I had a young lady hand me $5 and said "You left this at the counter." I was dumbstruck and pocketed the money. I realized as I was driving off that it couldn't be mine since I always pay with the Starbuucks app. The next day when I came back, I left it in the tip jar. Here are what I consider the levels of windfall and whaI I would do with it:

$100 - Dinner at Ruth Chris Steak House. Been there once for a fantastic dinner.
$1,000 - Put in the bank and spend it on Christmas gifts for the family.
$10,000 - Buy my recently divorced daughter a new car.
$100,000 - Pay off my mortgage.
$1,000,000 - now we're talking windfall. Pay off all bills, buy a new house in a better neighborhood, gifts to kids ($100,000 apiece)
$10,000,000 - I'd do the above but increase the gifts to a $1MM each. The remainder would be set aside in a trust to provide future legacies for the kids and grandkids with $3MM to create a family foundation to give anonymous gifts to people in need.
$10,000,000+ - This is a point where the more money available doesn't impact my actions other than to proportionally increase the legacies and gifts.

The idea of a windfall causes each of us to focus inward on our own needs until we reach a point where we feel "satisfied" and begin to focus outward. I think is what most people would. There are certainly exceptions to the rule (e.g., the celebrity who doesn't tip), but I want to believe we are all basically philanthropists waiting for a "windfall".
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 614 of 737

I would first pay off all my husband's school loans.  Next would be our home and vehicle - pay them off.  Then I would do any remodeling that needs done on our property.  If there is still funds left, I would see that each of my kids has a new vehicle to drive.  After that, the rest would go in the bank.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 615 of 737

I would pay off any debt oweake ad and finally after 30 yrs together and 15 yrs married

go on a long beautiful peaceful honeymoon to Italy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 616 of 737

divide the money up between retirement accounts, debt payoffs, home remodel, oh, and some enjoyment-trip to Hawaii or the east coast.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 617 of 737
sunday46, I am sorry you are in the spot you are in, I'm right there with you. I have no one or no money to help me either. Maybe we will be lucky some day, too!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 618 of 737

Finish the addition we are putting on our house. Pay off our mortgage.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 619 of 737

Donate some money to help out charities within the community...then take my family on a well deserved all expense paid trip (Hawaii?)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 620 of 737

Buy myself a decent car, fix up my house a bit.  Put the rest in a 401K and use some of it to help out other people.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors