Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do I find the cheapest prices online?

Contributor

Where do I find the cheapest prices online?

What sites have the cheapest prices? Usually I go to Yahoo to search new products. Recently, I clicked on the first product I saw, a toaster, and purchased it from a site I hadn't heard of. However, when the toaster came, the receipt showed it as $15 less than I paid.

Obviously, I was disapointed. What is a recommended place to shop online? 

Contributor

Amazon is a great place to shop.  You have to make sure you are shopping with a reliable seller though.  It isn't hard.  🙂  Also, I use retailmenot.  It's a website that has coupons for All Sorts of stores we use to shop.  Give it a try! I hope this helps out.  🙂 Barb

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, free shipping for prime members and I always get more cash back from SC in December than the $100 membership cost.  EBay and RockAuto for car parts. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Walmart has them all beat!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Check out Brandless.com It's amazing.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I like Groupon, Tanga, and Wish.      Wish is the cheapest but also cheapest in overall quality.   Never buy a ring through them.    Also, alot of items are $1-3 or "free", just pay shipping.   But, you have to be patient for delivery as items come from overseas.     Groupon is my favorite for cheaper prices but good quality.   I've bought jewelry, clothing, and home goods and never had big problems.    The rare times I was disappointed, customer service was great and a couple of times, even told me to not bother returning the item, and they woud credit my account for the price of the item.   

On ANY online purchase, start with Ebates (app for phone is easy to use).   Here's an invitation code if you want to try it:

https://go.ebat.es/S9EGCS5q9O

Search for whatever store you're shopping: Bath and Body, WalMart, Dicks, Groupon, etc.    You can still use other coupons and will get cashback just for shopping through them.   They do a pay out about every 6 months; I do mine to PayPal.    

Ibotta also does some cashback, but I find Ebates has lots more stores for online shopping. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do not have one favorite place; I have multiples. Depends on how much shopping I do there. The reason for this is a savings that most people don’t take into consideration —transportation. At Amazon it pays to go “prime”. The savings will pay for itself with the rebates there. BUT consider how much it costs you to drive (or use Uber) per year and it is quite an eye opener. This doesn’t mean I don’t go to the physical store, I do. With Prime I can get the item in, usually, one day. If it is needed sooner, go to the store. 

Periodic Contributor

Try adding honey to your Add-ons in your browser. Every time you go to buy something online, honey comes up on the right side of the screen to offer coupons that it has for that website.

Contributor

I just added Honey this weekend and used it once to save $8 on a small 2 item purchase.  It compared coupons quickly and and found a discount cheaper than the current JC Penny code I would have used.

0 Kudos

For hotels I use goseek.com then compare prices to other services.

for cruises I go to cruisesonly.com and vacationstogo.com's 90 day ticker

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

If you shop Amazon.com, try https://wikibuy.com/ Wikibuy is a browser extension that finds lower prices at other sellers (e.g., Walmart, Target, eBay, Jet, and others you might find with a Google search) while you shop on Amazon. Simply navigate to any product page on Amazon and Wikibuy will start working automatically.
Regular Contributor

I don't buy any big ticket items without reading consumer reviews at various trusted sites first, even if I'm going to actually buy locally.  When I decide on an item, I compare prices at my go-to trusted sites to decide where to buy.  I never buy from a new online site unless they publicly display their address, phone number, and return policy, and I look them up at the Better Business Bureau where I read consumer complaints.  That said, I buy a majority of regular household items from Amazon and Walmart (ship to my local store for pickup).  If the item I'm looking at is sold from a third party vendor through either of these sites, I look at that vendor's consumer feedback first. I have been buying all of my computer parts for years online from Newegg from whom I purchased all the parts used on my last two personal computer builds, as well computers I've worked on for others.  My hubby does a lot of automotive work (not his personal profession) and orders most of his parts online from Rock Auto at nearly half price for our own automobiles as well as others that he works on for friends and family.

Super Contributor

Auto Warehouse is also good. I found it by accident and was pleased with the price and quick delivery.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

eBay

Contributor

Google, Amazon, Walmart, then Ebay for prices. Ebay often has the lowest prices but it ends up being cheap junk from China. Use CNET first for reviews of electronics & computer-related. Have Honey & Piggy downloaded & in some cases google for coupons.

Contributor

Impossible to answer with a single sentence or two. I've written a complete set of e-books on this topic, as the Internet offers resources to save on literally everything one buys. One example related to your question is Google Shopping. This can show you prices from multiple (but certainly not all) online stores that have the item.  I have seen prices for items like cameras, computers, TVs vary in price by thousands of dollars from one store to another. It pays to comparison shop online, including the key savings site, Amazon.

Pete W.

www.mypowerebooks.com

Social Butterfly

Walmart has them all beat and has free ship to store on everything!

Contributor

I have found the lowest prices at Walmart most of the time.  Then I use Ibotta, a rebate app to get rebates on a lot ot the things I buy.  When I cash those in and I get a Walmart gift card and use it to get more rebates.  There are probably times I could save more elsewhere but it makes it a lot simpler to stick to Walmart.  Plus they have almost everything.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Re: Where do I find the cheapest prices online?

When shopping online with Walmart NOT all items are free ship to store.  Some items are from third party vendors.  If it’s not sold through and shipped by Walmart it’s difficult to return .  I purchased a shirt online through Walmart but shipped from independent vendor and could not return to the store.  You have to be careful and their prices are not always the cheapest.  Lesson learned!

I ordered for the first time and it eas all good from Wal-Mart.

I ordered 3 things online from walmart and 2 of them were wrong and the other arrived late.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just do a search for 'how to find online cheapest prices' and look at some of the links.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Honored Social Butterfly

You can add a browser extension to your computer, if you feel comfortable doing that. I use one called Homey that finds coupons and automatically applies them.

This one, Price Scout, searches for the best deal on line. I have not personally used this one. 

http://pricescout.io/

more about it here:  https://www.cnet.com/pictures/chrome-extensions-that-can-save-you-hundreds-of-dollars/4/

use Honey

0 Kudos

Honey, not homey
0 Kudos

The extension is Honey, not honey and it works very well.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

You don't need to say this anymore. It has been posted numerous times now.
0 Kudos

Slight correction.  It's Honey with an n, rather than Homey.

I also check for coupons at Retail Me Not.  Some work quite well.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Rather than "Homey" (i.e., with an m), do you perhaps mean "Honey" (with an n)? I ask because the latter spelling is the only one that cited sites when I did a search for both terms.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Could you mean www.honey.com and not Homey?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP