Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

I SAVE EVERY COIN I FIND, IT ADDS UP AND I WILL USE IT TO HELP PAY OFF A CREDIT CARD OR PUT IT INTO MY CAR PAYMENT, DONT BLOW IT!

0 Kudos

My tip:

Never use change!

When you pay for something in cash and get coins back, hold on to them and everynight when you get home put the change in a jar, or big bowl. If everyone in the house does this you have a vacation fund in change before you know it!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Always get great information from AARP articles 👍🏼

0 Kudos

Life is meant to be experienced. Put yourself out there. Do things you've never done. Live a life where at the end, you will have no regrets.

0 Kudos
Contributor

kowabunga.  we here in the peanut gallery support you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

For those with intangible assets reinvest all divedends for as long as possible.  This saves a lot of $ in fees the longer it is done and helps with tax liability.

0 Kudos
Contributor

how about that Bill Clinton saying that Obamacare is not cool

0 Kudos
Contributor

sumo squat is the right answer unless you want the left answer

0 Kudos
Contributor

never by new vehicles

Regular Contributor

Getting ill from consuming salmonella-contaminated food is painful and expensive to cure.  Be sure to avoid spreading germs by washing your hands after handling raw meats like chicken, pork or beef.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Wash your hands with soap after using the restroom.  You don't have to use hand sanitizers; soap will suffice.

0 Kudos

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Ben Franklin.

0 Kudos
Contributor

find out about interesting free services offered by your local library.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you are a senior citizen and live by yourself, check out the senior programs of your city and see if any of the programs can benefit you.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you have to pay service fees to access your bank account from an ATM, join a credit union that offers free ATM access.  That way, you will save on ATM access fees.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

if you are over 55 years old, take the AARP safe driving course for seniors.  After you pass it, you can qualify for a senior driver discount on your automobile insurance.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

the best way to save is to have an automatic deduction of 1 or 2 percent of your paycheck deposited to your savings account every paycheck.  Pretty soon you will have a tidy amount in your savings account, which you can then transfer to an IRA.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Credit Unions usually have a few extra perks than mainstream banks.  I joined a program at mine, that rounds my debits off to the nearest dollar, with that extra cents going into my Savings.  Without any effort on my part, this program has accumulated approx. $100 into my account over the last few months.  A very nice little surprise!  

I especially like the Vocabulary words in the Money and Retirement digital issue.  I've never invested, but I was interested in the terms so I can feel more comfortable when I'm learning about Stocks. 

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

enter the AARP sweepstakes daily.  A winner never quits.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Try to save everyday no matter how small the amount.  The goal is to be persistent and consistent.  Visualize what you are saving for.  Soon you will have enough money for what you are saving for.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Trying to post a message; assess your closet!

0 Kudos
Contributor

use clear vinegar for cleaning and laundry, instead of the commercial brands

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

find out if your municipal tap water is safe to drink.  if so, drink your tap water instead of bottled water.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Start saving early and don't live beyond your means.

Use your credit card for convenience not because you have to. If you can't afford to pay cash for something, step back and consider whether you really need to buy it.

0 Kudos

I pay myself first, moving 10% of each check to an online savings account before spening. I monitor creit car spending on a wall calendar, listing the amount charged and place used in the date block. I keep a running total of charges on the margin for that month. I save the receipts in an envelope paper-clipped to the calendar page. It's easy to reconcile the statement with my calendar. I tear up the receipts when I've paid the charge (unless I need the receipt for a warranty- I tape those on the back of the calendar). I know it's low-tec, but this approach has worked great for me for 26 years! 🙂

Sorry- the "d" key stuck! My post should read "spending" and "credit".
0 Kudos
Contributor

The way I save money is simple. I save All my change and I keep it in a coffee cup in my car. Once that is full, I bring it in and separate the silver from the pennies and put them into mason jars. I now have almost 3 quart jars filled with silver!! And a pint jar of pennies. And I have also started saving 1$ bills and 5$ bills! And boy do they add up quick! The last time I had cashed in my silver jars, 2 of them, I had saved close to 500$!! I have become very OCD about saving that I will not spend any change nor any 1$ or 5$ bills!! Unless of an emergency. Then come vacation time, I'm set!! If this can help one person to start saving a little bit at first, my job is done!!  

Contributor

If you do not have a computer at home, use the computers for public use at the library, but be sure to follow the library rules for their use.

0 Kudos

I use the library for Music, Movies, Books on Tape, and they have a program where you can check out passes to local destinations like the Japanese Gardens free for first time users.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

read up on tax return preparation through tax return websites and study on how to minimize your taxes without committing tax fraud.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP