Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

Get an account with a low-cost but well-known, reputable discount broker.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Automatic payroll deductions to specific accounts for specific goals.  If you don't see it, you won't spend it.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks great read!

0 Kudos

Boy, AARP discussion boards are not friendly to get around...

I've been trying to find discussions on retirement/savings plans to help improve my retirement projection over the next 10 years.  i've got a little time, but quickly it is running out. I'm not as healthy as I was even 5 years ago, and afraid I will not be able to work to continue similar lifestyle that I currently maintain.

Would like to add a little free moola to the investment though.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My husband and I have pooled and saved our spare change from all purchases over the past 40 years in a "coin jar." When the jar is full, we take the money down to the credit union and deposit it.  It's a lot easier now that most banks and credit unions have automatic coin counters - I used to do a lot of penny, nickel, dime and quarter rolling - but we will typically deposit $50-80 every few months, which amounts to $600-1000 per year plus interest in "hidden money" that we're not tempted to spend.

0 Kudos
Contributor

make it automatic

@AARPLynne wrote:

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

0 Kudos

I"ve been a member of a Credit Union for over 40 years.  Because I have automatic withdrawal to my Credit Union Savings account, I don't even miss the money.  I also am enrolled in the Credit Union's Christmas Club --- that is like Monopoly Money every year!!!!   This way, I don't charge my Christmas gifts and I don't feel like I'm spending our household money. And the advantage of the Christmas Club is you CAN'T access that money before the first week of November --- so it really is safe until you need it for your holiday shopping!  

If you start out small (I started by having $20 deducted every pay period) and gradually work your way up over the years, you'd be surprised how much you can save in a year and not even realize it!!!   I currently save $200 / month through my Credit Union and believe me, sometimes that extra cash has come in handy for unexpected emergencies.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Make sure you cash in your rewards on y;our credit card.  Don't let them expire!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The contest ends Oct. 1, 2016. At least that is what I just read. Either that is a typo or your distributing old news. Please clairify. Did you make a typo. Or what? Jeffrey L. Anderson  

jf@fuse.net 

JEFFREY L. ANDERSON
0 Kudos
Contributor

Learn everything you can-read,read,read!

0 Kudos

Never worry about the jones's next door. Usually the large home and luxary cars indicate all flash and no cash. Worry about yourself and live within your own means. A good nights sleep is more valuable than acquiring expensive items and large debts.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Watch your health (& your partner's too!), as much as your money. Getting to retirement age without your partner won't be as much fun.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Make your money work! Set-it-and-forget-it for regular additions to savings (the company 401k or 403b or the IRA/Roth IRA) with an increase when you get a raise, review repetitve expenditures (the cell phone plan, the tv service) for better deals every year or so, when you replace your car make sure the new one is a fuel efficient vehicle, then make small conscious efforts (coupons, discounts, barter and borrow, a book or movie from the library instead of the bookstore or theater) when you think of them.  Little things add up, but you don't need to be obsessed with them to find the extra to put away. 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was surprised that at 60 you should have 6x your income saved, I thought it would be higher.  Also, I enjoyed the article on enjoy your retirement. Both of these together made me question my decision to work part-time in retirement, but then again I enjoy what I do.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Keep saving is my favorite tip. Even small amounts accumulate over time. I'd rather save up for special things that spend spontaneously for things I really don't need.
0 Kudos

join a 401k plan at work as soon as you ar eligible and put into it as much as you can afford to put away.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

A penny saved is a penny earned.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Plan your work and work your plan!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I use coupons for groceries etc. and save the money I would have spent. It really adds up, over $1000 this Year.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I  always round up and not pennies.. $50 to $100 dollars on all bills with interest, and designate it to principal. Every penny you can apply to principal lowers the next amount of money the interest is calculated on. I have paid on a 40K loan and paid half off in 20 months. It isnt much but I saved some... starting small and learning as I go. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I enjoyed reading this digital magazine.  It had some good tips and suggestions for retirement planning and finances

0 Kudos
Contributor

I sign up for every coupon saving card and match coupon to sale items. Also shopping at clothing stores with sales and percentages off can reap you a lot of clothing for little money. I took a part time job and enjoy the 20% off discount. Great savings and stretches my monies further. I have 11% in my 401K and seek financial advice yearly while in my early 50s. In reading the article I like the advice to have 5 times my salary saved by 55.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Each time you get a pay increase, take part of it to increase your automatic savings (like your 401k contribution), but keep some of it so you feel like you did get that raise!  You'l never miss the money and it will compound over time!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay yourself!  Every time you even think about spending money on frivilous things (a shirt you don't really need, a dinner out that is not a true special occasion, or some gadget you know you will never use for example), put the cost of that item or excursion in an envelope.  Keep adding to the envelope on every single one of these instances for a week, a month, or preferably a year.  Then check back at the end of that time and see how much money has added up in that envelope.  Now go put it in your savings account or invest it wisely!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Living frugally has been imposed on us, being laid off in our early 60s, but it really isn't a burden. it has helped us prepare to be retired with a reasonable budget but lots and lots of more time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I feel opening a RothIRA was the best option for me

0 Kudos
Contributor

ever retire and maybe get a second job to support the government expenses generated by AARP
0 Kudos

This was a good publication.  I enjoyed this

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

can't find the AARP Smart Savings Sweepsteak on www.aarp?????  Where can I find it.
0 Kudos
Contributor

DH Lawrence said "Life is ours to be spent, not Saved"

My favorite quote!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP