Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

Be consistent. Automate savings.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Make your own coffee and carry it to work or when you are out driving.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I remember the advice that my father gave me many years ago to "pay yourself first."  After every payday, I made sure some of it went into savings/IRA and the remainder to checking.  After 30+ years on the job, I had a nice nest egg to supplement my pension and SS benefits.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

A penny saved is a penny earned

0 Kudos

Can't say enough about starting early and being consistent. That's almost more important than the amount saved!

0 Kudos
Contributor

My best money saver is shopping thrift stores on senior days for clothing, housewares, garden tools, paint, etc.

0 Kudos
Contributor

How do I enter contest? Your instructions leave me at sea.
0 Kudos
Contributor

This contest has been over for 8 months. I would love to know how to unsubscribe from this topic without totally unsubscribing from AARP's emails.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do you know that you can use both electronic coupons AND hardcopy coupons for the same item at merchants like Krogers, Target, etc.  For the SAME ITEM! so if you have $1 off Tide from Sunday's paper and Target's electronic $1 coupon, you same $2.00!!  and that's just one example.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Great reading! You can never get too much information. Thanks AARP for looking out for us retired folks and soon to be retired. This was helpful information.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Take advantage of your bank's "Extra Change" service where the bank automatically rounds up your purchase to the next whole number and deposits the difference in your savings account - an effortless way to save!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Try to never buy anything you need without some kind of savings.  Use coupons, apps that give you added savings, credit cards that pay bonus points, grocery stores that give you gas rewards, and try to use as many discounts as possible.  We eat out occasionally on the weekends, but we buy gift cards when they are paying double gas points or dollars off savings at the grocery store with credit cards that pay cash back.  We use coupons at these restaurants and restaurant apps to buy our meals with these same gift cards.  We are getting several layers of savings this way!  Also, take your lunch to work every day--this saves you a bunch!  Eating out gobbles up a lot of cash and isn't too good for your health either.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I agree with driving the old car as a savings tool.   If one stays on top of the maintenance, an older car is much cheaper on an annual basis vs. payments on a new one.

0 Kudos

Drive an old car keep the money in the bank for your enjoyment.Never buy from Door to Door sales people. Tell them that whenyou answer the door .It shuts them down Promptly.Find  that each day is an opportunity to do what you and your spouse enjoy!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Use a credit union instead of a bank.  My credit union does not charge for a checking account, offers a bill payment service that include paying postage for making payments, and pays a higher interest on your account balance than the big banks.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

As a former banker after 30 years, please be aware that a credit union is NOT chartered to be able to provide a "signature guarantee" on any security document. There is no such thing as a "free lunch" and a bank will not open an account for anyone just to provide a signature guarantee. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Favorite saving tip: at the grocery store, I buy private label brands which are cheaper than national brands and usually are as good. The saving come to $15-20 per month.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Always use the free stuff.

0 Kudos
Contributor

save all my rebates in a savings account.  had enough for 2 years of college in 20 years

0 Kudos
Contributor

Some new online checking accounts offer interest.

0 Kudos

Great article! Automate saving!
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Clipping coupons every week and redeeming them for items you buy anyways can add up to big savings over the long term!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When I was first eligible to participate in a 401(k) I contributed the most I could at the time, 10%.  Then every time I got a raise I split it 50/50 with my 401(k)... 4% raise = 2% increase in my 401(k) contribution.  Eventually I got to the deferral percentage I needed to max out my 401(k) annual contribution.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Love the discounts and other money saving benefits.

0 Kudos
Contributor

start saving early

0 Kudos
Contributor

take a small cash allowance each way say $40.  put away a "secret" $50 in your wallet in case of emergency....but never use it.   you will be amazed at how much you will save over a year or two.

0 Kudos
Contributor

oh wow

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great quote to live by:

"Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left aster SAVING." 

Warren Buffett

0 Kudos
Contributor

ask not wha your country can do for you..

0 Kudos
Contributor

Learn how to cook! It will save you thousands of dollars over your lifetime....

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP