Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 660 (34,699 Views)

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Info Seeker

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 2 of 660 (33,878 Views)

Start small -say $ 5 week/month.  Once you see it add up, you get hooked.  

Also, do this when kids are small and you create a life-long habit.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 660 (33,989 Views)

Save $5 every time I go to grocery store.  That way I will be less likely to spend on unnecessary items.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 660 (34,031 Views)

I started clipping coupons when I got married many years ago to make ends meet. Over the years, my financial situation has improved, but clipping coupons is still a huge money-saver. Not just cents-off coupons, but online coupons for many stores using Retail-me-not and other websites. Sign up for your favorite restaurant email clubs and get free meals on your birthday and a heads up on special deals. Use your AARP card and save at many retailers and restaurants! Also, entering sweepstakes often yields gift cards and coupons for products I use. There are so many ways to save online now, it's just a waste not to take advantage of the savings available to us today!

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 660 (34,050 Views)

I drive an old car- not real pretty, but it's paid for. Also, auto insurance is less- liability only.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 660 (34,100 Views)

Walk away from tempting advertisement for products that I really don't need and stick to the essentials while knowing where to shop for the best bargains on the things we really need and use.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 660 (34,317 Views)

I love to clip coupons, i also belong to several freebie sites and am always on the look out for a bargain-i have saved a tremendous amount of money over the years -getting clothing , furniture, etc at a discounted or sometimes even free price-i also use generic brands and always find a use for left overs.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 660 (34,311 Views)

I agree...clipping coupons is a great way to save!  So is joining up to store loyalty/rewards programs--they are free of charge and grant you additional savings on purchases, gas, etc.  Also, if you belong to a warehouse club, upgrade your membership to a level where the "cash-back for purchases" level is as high as possible.  You're going to spend $$ there anyway, right?  You might as well get the proper credit for your loyalty!

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 660 (34,320 Views)

I also advocate signing up for restaurant/fast food loyalty programs and special promotions for the added savings coupons, periodic freebies (such as on specific dates like birthdays and anniversaries), and percentage discount deals valid for certain periods.  Yes, you'll generate more e-mail for your inbox, but you can use a secondary e-mail address for purposes of receiving these promotional offers. If you eat out fairly often, or even just occasionally, you'll save some decent bucks by being a loyalty program member.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 660 (34,332 Views)
The rules aren't posted where the link takes you.