Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Regular Contributor

If you are over 65, remember to ask about senior discounts at stores.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When you have a lot of errands to run, pack a lunch in a small cooler rather than eating in a resturant.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When you have a lot of errands to run, pack a lunch in a small cooler instead of eating in a resturant.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I buy brand name, fashionable apparel at the end of the season and store it away until the next season.  My friends are amazed that I am able to afford such classy clothes! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Use credit cards that give cash back and pay them all off each month.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Borrow, don't buy  tool you'll only use once or twice. If you cannot borrow it, rent it. Rent a vehicle for those long distance drives and save wear & tear on your vehicle.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

eat nutritious food and eat in moderatiion.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Plan for your retirement.  How much traveling do you want to do, what is your health, do you need to work part time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use my short short-term memory to my advantage: whenever I have cash in hand (very rarely - it cries out to be spent):

1.  I quickly place the largest bill in a special Red Envelope that I keep in

in the same place in my home, year after year. 

* I do not look at how much money is already in the Red Envelope.

* I forget about it. DONE.

2. I plink the change into the correct plastic tube (penny, nickel, dime, quarter) 

of a simple coin sorter I bought long ago - all manual, nothing moving.

* I do not look at how much is already in the coin tubes.

* I forget about it. DONE.

* When a tube fills up, I use a coin roll (from the credit union or

dollar store) and put the full roll in a special box near the Red Envelope.

* I forget about it. DONE.

3,  When I am preparing for a special trip, getaway or unusual travel (only

about once or twice a year) I raid the Red Envelope, the special box

and the coin sorter.

The "Fun Money" total is a happy surprise - always more than I remembered.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dining: Always go with a coupon, a "special" day where prices are cheaper like El Fenix here in Dallas always has Wednesday specials.  For added discounts, ex: Applebees has a 2/$25 special and Green Apple discount card for over 60.  Groceries: In addition to coupon clipping I always round up on the check (when I write one), if cash I save change, I've found certain stores have great sales on items I like and work similarly to expensive ex: Aldi has a Day Creme that rivals the $400. a bottle, I can spot shop there, Costco, Sams, all online to see where the biggest bang for the buck before I travel so I can shop in route or back home so I don't waste extra time/gas.  I've also gone organic in my gardening to save on lawn care.  Started shopping upscale resale/consignment shops as well.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Put everything you can on a cash rewards card and save the rewards earned..

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Comparison shop, for groceries in particular, and stock up the items on sale. For example, I paid and stocked up on 80% fat-free hamburger priced at only $1.88 per pound this week. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When ordering online I always use ebates.  Every little bit helps!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I save pennies.  I pick them up when I see them on the ground.  It amazes me the number of people that do not do this.  I have two huge jars all ready filled.  One of these days I am going to wrap them and use towards something fun!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Before placing an order online, use a search engine to enter the company name and "promo codes".  The current offers pop up through sites like Retail-Me-Not without filling your e-mail by requiring subscription to their web newletters.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Pay yourself first. Have a small amount automatically deducted from your pay and you will not even notice the difference but you will see the savings grow. Also a great method when saving for a specific major purchase or to pay for the purchase.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Best advise watch those small copper things they add up
0 Kudos
Contributor

There is an AARP discount for the first year with ancestor.com.  It's well worth it.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Turn down your water heater whenever you will be gone for more than a couple of days and save on your water heating bill.

Periodic Contributor

Great idea, and not one I've ever considered. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I love to save.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love that I learn so many smart ways to save money and prepare for retirement!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Luckily, the thrift stores in our area are great!  Lots of items are brand new.

My wife often changes out our kitchen dishes.  When she finds something she likes, she buys cheap and swaps out.  We then take a tax deduciton on the dishes brought back to the thrift store!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I throw my pocket change every day into a container that belonged to my grandmother.  Luckily my bank will let you use their machine to count it if you put that money into your account.  Last run to the bank with change was $123.66!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

For long-term savings, maximize withholding to your employer's 401(k) plan or equivalent up to the maximum matched by your employer, at least. Also, put the maximum allowed into an IRA, either regular or Roth, as you prefer. In the IRA, invest in Exchange-Traded Funds (ETF), preferably funds that pay dividends. Make the dividends buy more shares automaticaly, so your account can grow even faster.
Convert your 401(k) directly into an IRA when you retire, so you will have more control over your investments. (I converted mine to Vanguard and invested in ETFs with quarterly dividends, but you can shop around to match your own preferences.)
Do not take any money out of these plans nor borrow against them until you are required to take money out with the Reguired Minimum Distribution (RMD) rule, and then take out at least the minimum RMD each year to avoid paying penalties to the IRS.

0 Kudos

Save enough from coupon savings to purchase a plane ticket for vacation each year!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've learned a lot about savings in the last few years that I wish I had practiced earlier: Paying with cash, using coupons, looking for freebies, making more of my own food instead of prepackaged or junk food.  I'm also always looking for new ideas for saving so this is great.

0 Kudos
Contributor

post required to enter

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

explore museums, parks, and libraries near your home.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Make a deposit to your 401K every paycheck, and each time you get a pay raise increase your deposit by a part of you raise.  This will help increase your retirement fund using money you had not yet gotten used to spending.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP