Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Info Seeker

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 81 of 660 (1,694 Views)

My tip for savings without pain, is to keep all of my loose change in a jar.  When it fills up, I deposit it in my Credit Union account.  Amazing, how quickly it adds up!

Info Seeker

Message 82 of 660 (1,692 Views)

Pay yourself every month!  If you no longer have a car payment, put that in a special savings account. You'll be glad you did!

Info Seeker

Message 83 of 660 (1,691 Views)

I always register the amount that is deposited into my account less 10%. For example, I deposit $500 but I only put in my registry that I deposited $450. If you don't see it in the registry, you don't tend to spend.

Info Seeker

Message 84 of 660 (1,690 Views)
marry well
Info Seeker

Message 85 of 660 (1,687 Views)

I believe in the adage, "A Stitch in Time Saves Nine" and try to avoid large repair bills by fixing things when the problem is small, before it becomes overwhelming both emotionally and financially.

Info Seeker

Message 86 of 660 (1,681 Views)

if you shop at Walmart user their "Savings Catcher" to have them price compare your shopping.

Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 87 of 660 (1,678 Views)

Several things:

1.  Go to websites of your favorite products as many have coupons that can be printed or can be "loaded" on your rewards cards at for example Kroger, etc.

2.  Sign up on Walgreens balance rewards program.  First you will be tracking important health data and making goals for yourself.  It is a motivator.  For me - I put my weight loss goal at 1 pound.  When you meet the goal you get 250 points.  And get your lab work from your doctor and put that in where appropriate, same for blood pressure, blood sugar, A1c, cholesterol.  You also track your activity (walking, exercise, etc) do at least 25 minutes perday and you get the goal for the day.  Right now today I have $60.00 in my account at Walgreens to spend..that I got just for doing these activities daily. Remember Walgreens has AARP day first Tuesday of each month - you get 20% off!

3.  Take advantage of AARP or senior (which can be as young as 50) discounts when going out to eat, auto service,etc.  There are many restaurants, etc that offer discounts that are not affiliated with AARP - so always ask

4.  Try your best to keep 10% of your income each month in savings

5.  If you are a camper - in Florida - for AARP/seniors you can stay at state/national park campgrounds for approximately $10 per night last time I checked.

6. If you are staying at a hotel, especially one week or longer, you can call them and speak with their marketing person and I have gottten as much as 75% off published rates (that was based on a 2 month stay).  The longer you stay the deeper the discount.  Also if you are willing to give up daily housekeeping that helps.

7.  I have found that if I order my long term meds through mail order and get generic - mine are free.  That saves me hundreds for each refill (90 day refill).

8.  My medicare is through Humana - they have a vitality program which gives me points every day for walking 7000 steps or if I go to silver sneaker gym.  I also get points for doing healthy things like getting annual wellness exam, annual eye exam, dental exam, mammogram, bone density, colo rectal screening, glucose test, cholesterol checked, vital signs and being weighed.  All these activities give me many points which I can then use in their "Vitality Mall" where I can get iPad, iPod, Fitbit trackers, Polar trackers, workout equipment, gift cards, and many other things.  These are all free just doing things I would do anyway

9.  Use retail me not when shopping - so many retailers have coupons on there - and you can put the app on your phone - very easy and saves lots.

10.  I try to have only $10 cash in my wallet and I have only used an ATM twice in 10 years.  When I do my grocery shopping I get minimal cash back to use for a necessity if out to long. 

11.  Take advantage of the AARP discounts for insurance, purhasing a new vehicle, local shopping, restaurants,etc. - and that local can be what ever city you put in the search field.

12.  Link your AARP account to Walgreens and other retailers for more discounts and/or more points to use for puchasing power

13.  Use Groupon for going out to eat, dental exams, hair cuts/color, and many other purchases and travel - they have great discounts also.

14.  Last but not least I use Quicken software and have a budget set up.  I will not go over my "going out to eat", new clothes, etc budget.  I actually try to stay at least 10% below the budget on these extras.  This software is great to keep track of what you are spending and where.  It is a great tool to allow you to exam where you are spending $$$ where it may not be a necessity

So many more - but I don't want to overwhelm!

Goodluck everyone

Info Seeker +

Message 88 of 660 (1,676 Views)
Make an agreement with someone that if you want to spend over a certain amount of money you'll tell them first. I set this up with my wife. The amount was $100.( It's more than that now.) Whenever I wanted to spend more than $100, I told her. The savings is this: She never told me "no!" But me saying it aloud to somebody else helped me answer the question "How important is it? And often not spending that money!
That saved enough for trips, furniture and much more.
Rick in Maine
Info Seeker

Message 89 of 660 (1,676 Views)

When I was young I learned from my parents to save for things that I wanted before purchasing them and not use credit. I only use my credit cards for things that I am able to pay off at the end of each month and then I never have any credit card debt and never have to pay interest. It saves more than you think.

Info Seeker

Message 90 of 660 (1,676 Views)

Clipping coupons