Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

Message 401 of 671

Make a deposit to your 401K every paycheck, and each time you get a pay raise increase your deposit by a part of you raise.  This will help increase your retirement fund using money you had not yet gotten used to spending.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 402 of 671

explore museums, parks, and libraries near your home.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 403 of 671

post required to enter

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 404 of 671

I've learned a lot about savings in the last few years that I wish I had practiced earlier: Paying with cash, using coupons, looking for freebies, making more of my own food instead of prepackaged or junk food.  I'm also always looking for new ideas for saving so this is great.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 405 of 671

Save enough from coupon savings to purchase a plane ticket for vacation each year!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 406 of 671

For long-term savings, maximize withholding to your employer's 401(k) plan or equivalent up to the maximum matched by your employer, at least. Also, put the maximum allowed into an IRA, either regular or Roth, as you prefer. In the IRA, invest in Exchange-Traded Funds (ETF), preferably funds that pay dividends. Make the dividends buy more shares automaticaly, so your account can grow even faster.
Convert your 401(k) directly into an IRA when you retire, so you will have more control over your investments. (I converted mine to Vanguard and invested in ETFs with quarterly dividends, but you can shop around to match your own preferences.)
Do not take any money out of these plans nor borrow against them until you are required to take money out with the Reguired Minimum Distribution (RMD) rule, and then take out at least the minimum RMD each year to avoid paying penalties to the IRS.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 407 of 671

I throw my pocket change every day into a container that belonged to my grandmother.  Luckily my bank will let you use their machine to count it if you put that money into your account.  Last run to the bank with change was $123.66!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 408 of 671

Luckily, the thrift stores in our area are great!  Lots of items are brand new.

My wife often changes out our kitchen dishes.  When she finds something she likes, she buys cheap and swaps out.  We then take a tax deduciton on the dishes brought back to the thrift store!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 409 of 671

I love that I learn so many smart ways to save money and prepare for retirement!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 410 of 671

I love to save.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors