Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Your Younger Brain and Music

gandson listening to music.jpgIn The Powerful Link Between Music and Memories, cognitive neuroscientist Daniel Levitin shares that our musical tastes form early, including a crucial period from around the age of 11 to 14. During that time, our musical tastes really take form and we hold onto those for the rest of our lives.

Music has always been a big part of my life, and it was especially important during my brooding teen years. Pop was a genre I embraced, and it's still one I adore today. One pop album I spent a lot of time with, learning the words and singing to myself in the mirror, was Michelle Branch's Hotel Paper, especially the song "Breathe." I recently relistened to the album and was transported back to my angsty, younger self.

What album or song did you love when you were younger?

Periodic Contributor

The Platters Albums and The Four Tops

Trusted Social Butterfly

Can't really pick one favorite...was exposed to so much variety from a very young age...gotta go with the whole 'Music to match the Mood or Situation' thing.

as far as 'Angsty' songs have to go with selections like:

Wind Up - Jethro Tull

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who

Ohio - CSN&Y

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield.

Periodic Contributor

Moody Blues!

Contributor

Having two TBI, and a stroke> people need to know that loud, fast moving music is not always pleasant for a person like myself. Stores, and restaurants are terrible about having it too loud. There are many festivals, and public celebrations that blare music to Unpleasantness.

Pleasant soothing music is much easier for people like me. I've always Loved music but now it's much different. The sensitivity actually hurts because of the ringing, hissing in my brain/head. Autism is another reason music can be overwhelming for some of us. Flashing tv also. Thanks!

Regular Contributor

I can identify somewhat. Having been dx with Menieres syndrome I have chronic loud ringing in one ear & the other is hyperacusis which hears too loud. But there are days I can enjoy it all & my Bluetooth headphones help alot. @sacredlady 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Does Anyone agree with me and/or have the same problem>a comment?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don’t see your comment

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I went to a seminar for memory loss. They said 10-17. That’s what I know best. Starting with the Beatles. There’s SO much music from those days everything from folk to Motown to rock to the Tony Bennett genre. I couldn’t pick a song but find it surprising that 58 yrs later I can remember every word to most of those song esp Beatles ,Stevie Wonder & Simon&garfunkle if I had to pick 3. But also Allman Bros & Linda ronstadt and the list and the beat goes on & on. :-). Good topic thx

Community Manager
Community Manager

I watched the Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga performance at Radio City Music Hall from 2021. It was his last performance. It was really special and heartwarming 💖

Regular Contributor

I’ve tried to find it on DVD but can find it nowhere

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I’ve tried to find the DVD and buy it but can’t find it anywhere. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Omg I can’t even imagine being there! That’s great! 

Contributor

Country anything by Bill Monroe, call me square but that's who I am.

Contributor

I really like Bill Monroe,  I own several cds of his music.  The old bluegrass is classic, nothing new comes close to it..

Contributor

Country; ANYTHING by Bill Monroe, call me square but who I am

Contributor

The Temptation 

Trusted Contributor

that would be 1961- 1964 for me:  All of these remain with me even today;  Elvis, Ernie K-Doe, Chubby Checker, Four Seasons, Beach Boys, Peter, Paul & Mary, Roy Orbison, the Beatles, and the Animals

Social Butterfly

My dad introduced me to Hugo Montenegro Good Bad & Ugly music which still love all those songs (also always been my cleaning house music) & Floyd Cramer's "Last Date" ... he used to say holding me close to his huge speakers took ½ my hearing in right ear while I've always been deaf in left ear all my life

I have fondness for Peanuts music by Henry Mancini 

Ages 11-14 loved & still my favorite music era is 70's music ... Bread, Three Dog Night, Donny Osmond, Bobby Sherman, Eagles, Elton John,Carpenters, Raspberries, 10cc, Lobo  & so many more.... used to sing aloud while out walking in country area grew up 'Close to you' & Raindrops keep falling on my head' BJ Thomas 

Music touches my soul affects me deeply brings me back to younger times ... can heal or help me cry and work through my emotions when need... dare say its most affecting thing in my life lots memories and things associated with music and certain songs are heartbreaking to hear because of past connections.... I so love music... reckon understand why based on study Rachel shared about...wow...own & still play lots of 45's have

Have a beautiful day... may you enjoy a great heart touching song today 

Ginger  ;  )

Regular Contributor

Yes.  Mostly these days it makes me cry lol. Getting sentimental in my old age 🙂

Periodic Contributor

Give Steely Dan a play. 

Regular Contributor

LOVE

Social Butterfly

Wow 😱🥴🥰

Can't believe I forgot Elvis...His Trilogy and  Ghetto & If I can dream still touch me 

Also 1st person saw in concert... was gift from my mom my 16th bday... Mom brought 10 tickets $10 each...wow... he was doing concert to benefit tornado victims in Monroe Louisiana 1974 

I stood & cried whole time

Ginger :  )

Contributor

White Coral Bells, childrens music book in grade school, Kingston Trio, Tom Dooley, Patsy Cline, Walkin After Midnight, are the first three that come to mind.

Regular Contributor

GLEN CAMPBELL❤️

Contributor

These are the first three songs I remember when I was very, very young. Tons of other great songs throughout my life. I love this memory lane.

Contributor

"Stranger on the Shore" by Acker Bilk 1961-62

Contributor

I have said many times I was born in the wrong era, but I think actually I just like a real wide variety of music. I like big band era, like Chattanooga choo-choo and Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree; the Rat Pack; Buddy Holly and Richie Valens were gone too soon, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Herman's Hermits, Aretha Franklin, the Shirelles; from the 70's and 80's I love ABBA, Jefferson Airplane, Cheap Trick, the Eagles, Bee-Gees, Blondie, the Pretenders, Heart, AC/DC, Don Henley, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Def Leppard, Cinderella, Poison, Roxette, Wilson Phillips, and the list could go on. I was a product of the 70's but my musical tastes encompass a lot.

Periodic Contributor

Try sing sing sing by Benny Goodman. It’s jazz but it rocks. 

Regular Contributor

YES. to ALL. good memory. Like your list!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP