Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What games to you play to keep your brain healthy?

Message 31 of 43

- Suduku - keeps me going .

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 43

I do Sudoku puzzles daily.  After all, it is the puzzle sensation that's sweeping the nation!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 43

I also do crosswords.  The harder they are, the better I like them!  I also am a voracious reader.

I also like Bejeweled Butterflies and Mine.  I play Free Cell too.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 43

I do online games.  I also love word search, Finding words on my game site.  They give you clues and you put the letters where they belong.  I play Bingo also.  I read magazines and lots of emails.  I do feel like the email keeps my mind going

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 43

To AARP Teri -

Can you please either add a version of the UFOV games you mention to your website,

with a link to adding more for payment since there don't seem to be any free ones?

Or, can you help AARP members get Double Decision from Posit Science at a reduced Senior Rate...?

If any AARP members also have this year's JacquieLawson.com ALPINE Advent Calendar,

the Bear Run works effectively as a UFOV!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 43

I like crossword puzzles & other word puzzles.  Sometimes I do Sudoku, but I'm more into words than numbers.  And I read a lot.  Books, magazines, whatever, to keep the mind engaged.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 43

I do like games, but I'm a big believer in sports - not only for your brain, but for providing other benefits as well.

I took up tennis in my late 40s, and it does a number of wonderful things: it's very social (have met a number of good friends through organized tennis); it keeps you moving; every point is a little different so you have to strategize the entire time you're playing (the brain part); it keeps you committed (you can't let down your partner by deciding it's "too cold" or you're "too tired"). 

One other thought is to try an Escape Room - that really gets the brain humming.  Here's an article I wrote about this:  http://www.ideal-living-digital.com/idealliving/fall_2017/?pg=50&pm=1&u1=friend 

Jan Cullinane, author, The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement (AARP/Wiley)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 43

I do crossword puzzles and word search .Online I play  Just Words, Letter Garden, Just Words, Majong and slots.  I play one game of something at least 2 times a day.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 43

I've always enjoyed playing Poker. After I retired I found a free online Poker site and have been playing now for 2 years. I've learned a variety of Poker games that I never knew existed.

PCH also has a number of games that I play occasionally.

But most of all, my lifetime philosophy of "Learning something new each day" probably serves me the best in the brain health area!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 43

I’ve played all the games on this website. Mah Jongg and Sudoku probably are the most mentally stimulating to me. Although I like Monkey Gems and helping BenBen the monkey fend off snakes, him and me make a pretty good team.

Kudos
Views