Looking for a part-time job? AARP's online career fair Jan. 24 can help! Register for free.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Healthy Habits

Message 11 of 19
@tynaro: Go for it, and when you finish your degree please let us all know so we can celebrate with you!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 19

See someone with no smile?  Give him yours!  I try to say good morning, good afternoon, or evening with a smile to people I meet.  Maybe they will return the greeting or maybe not, but it will make you feel better inside.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 19

For better brain health, I try to live by Eleanor Roosevelt's terrific quote:  "Do something every day that scares you." 

Some personal examples: I ran for an elected office in my community; I taught myself how to do a book proposal and had an award-winning book published by AARP ("The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement"); I traveled to interesting places (such as an African safari ) that tested my level of feeling in control; I submitted my "talent" (I can speak backwards fluently) to the Tyra Banks show and was invited to fly to New York to be on her show; and I took up tennis for the first time in my late 40s and now play for fun and on two doubles' teams.

Remember that stress is not necessarily bad.  There is good stress - it's called "eustress" - and it can  be exhilarating.  Research shows that tasks that are novel and complex may help us produce more nerve cells connections. Trying to do things that take me out of my comfort zone is a great way to live.  Of course, I don't always succeed...but I'm almost always happy that I tried.

Jan Cullinane, author, The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement (AARP)

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 19

Frequent Social Butterfly, your message is very encouraging because at age 66 I am considering working towards a Masters in Nutrition.  I'm proud of you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 19

Wake with a positive attitude about the day and ready to be happy,productive for that day.Big  on exercise and eating right.Always try to learn something new and challenging each day of the week and don’t give up if you feel it’s to hard,stay with it.What you accomplish on that day makes for a great day. Happy 2019😄

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 19

Very impressive! Congrats and continued success!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 19

My father always said one had to stretch themselves daily.   I play about 4 different mind games daily as well as read and stay active with young people as well as those my own age.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 19

I actually have several daily habits or routines which I attribute to my brain health.  First is to exercise every day, and that could be anything from run/walk, going to the gym, swimming (in warmer weather), petting my dogs and goats, or doing work on my farm with my loving animals watching me. Second is to listening to music at dinnertime, preferably Baroque or Renaissance. Third is to play music on my piano or recorder or write articles for an online magazine.  And last is to communicate daily via email with relatives and penpals who live either in other states or other countries (pen pals).  And I'll add one more - I try to respond to all the questions posed in the AARP community.  These habits/routines give my brain diversity as well as a mental and emotional uplift.  I guess these things must be working because I earned a PhD in Natural Medicine in March.   P.S. I'm looking forward to my 80th birthday in July.

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views
Replies

Healthy Habits

Message 19 of 19

Do you have a daily routine to keep your brain healthy?  What is it?  Share it here with others.”

Kudos
Views
Replies