AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Fluoride - Demand AARP Take Action

Message 31 of 61

My understanding is that the litigation over the Hooper Bay fluoridation overfeed is still not resolved. The city blames the State for making them fluoridate, and the State blames the city for doing the fluoridating.

It should be noted that in CA, the State chief fluoridaiton officer David Nelson (now retired) helped write the CA fluoridation law and forced Los Angeles to fluoridate in 2007. He actually told me that the Hoper Bay accident was not the fault of the water treatment facility. He claimed it was the victim's wife's fault!  This is because she is a nurse and "should have known that the first sign of fluoride overdose is vomiting, so she should not have given him more water when he asked for more after vomiting."

I responded by saying there are many causes of vomiting, and why would anyone suspect the water supply when you tell cities that fluoridation is perfectly harmless? And are you telling me the wife went around the whole town of Hooper Bay and gave them fluoride poisoned water to drink so that all 302 people would be poisoned by it?

He realized how foolish he was being, stopped discussing it, and then said, "I only do what the CDC tells me to do."

Hence CA remains a state where fluoridation is an attempted mandate. But remember that there is no law that can mandate what violates Federal water law. And the CA law does not mention the source of fluoride material to be used, so the law is not actionable and is null and void. Further, the first line in the law makes the assumption that fluoride in water decreases incidence of caries. This has been fully disproven in vast studies, so the mandate has no actual meaning, is not legally binding, and is basically a worthless historical anecdote.

In fact, the CA Department of Public Health has written that no city is litigated if it does not fluoridate, and in their view it is the city itself that decides whether to fluoridate.

So all you CA city councils out there, go ahead and halt fluoridation, and nothing wrong will happen. Caries will not increase, because they were not reduced in the first place, and there is no State law that forces you to infuse this industrial hazardous waste.

Richard Sauerheber
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 32 of 61
Many Alaskans know of the dangers of water fluoridation with many Alaskan cities and towns are fluoride free. We in the Facebook Group: Fluoride Free Alaska, hope to make our state water fluoridation free!
Gold Conversationalist

Message 33 of 61

"Early researchers had it backwards." -  Lahey Clinic and Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital

Websites of several major hospitals include this phrase about fluoridation, "Early researchers had it backwards." They go on to state that fluoride works topically as in toothpaste, not by ingestion, and that fluoridation is unncesssary for dental health. Research out of the IFS longitudinal studies have also found that despite the best efforts of dental researchers, "Current evidence strongly suggests that fluorides work primarily by topical means through direct action on the teeth and dental plaque. Thus ingestion of fluoride is not essential for caries prevention,”  but does cause dental fluorosis. This is consistent with the 2015 Cochrane Review and 2000 York Review that both noted the poor quality limited evidence in dental studies purporting benefit. They both went on to note that those studies demonstrated more BIAS than benefit, and SELECTIVE SAMPLING rather than safety. (Also see 20th century analysis by Dr. Philip Sutton, Dr. John Colquhoun, and Dr. John Yiamouyiannis

So why are we taking these risks: 

Hooper Bay Alaska was just one example of all too common accidents, albeit one of the more dramatic poisoning examples (see comments by lm89599076 and rs5526.)* In my state of Massachusetts, just this century:  

1. 1. Wakefield 2000 fluoride overfeed that resulted in gastrointestinal distress and neurological symptoms, i.e. extreme dizziness. 
  2. 2. Marlboro 2003 fluoride overfeed that resulted in warnings not to use the water, even for washing, as it could irritate skin and even cause chemical burns.
  3. 3. Westminster 2005 fluoride spill at water treatment plant that resulted in hospitalization of several workers. 
  4. 4. Amesbury 2011 fluoride clogs in the equipment and related costs prompted the process that led to the discontinuation of water fluoridation 

Also, consider the health impact on water workers who handle fluoride, many if not all of whom, develop fluoride illnesses before reaching retirement, such as Susan Kanen who has commented in this thread.

From the manual, Water Fluoridation Principles and Practices, 5th Ed (2011):

• “Always wear protective safety gear when handling fluoride chemicals. In particular, full face shield, splash-proof goggles, rubber gloves and boots, and acid proof aprons should be worn….”  Workers are also warned to never eat near fluoride and that the disposal of fluoride bags and other containers are “usually a problem.”

So since it is UNNECESSARY for preventing cavities, inflicts life long damage to teeth of approximately half the children in fluoridated communities, has the potential for serious accidents causing debilitating illness or death, and poisons water departments staff ..... why are we fluoridating our water?

AARP - It is time for you to write a Position Paper opposing fluoridation!

See AAEM for examples:  

FLUORIDATION RESOLUTION: https://www.aaemonline.org/pdf/FluorideResolution.pdf

CHEMICAL SENSITIVITIES POSITION PAPER: https://www.aaemonline.org/chemicalsensitivity.php

* Richard Sauerheber and I assumed that  lm89599076 was referring to the Hooper Bay, AK overspill that resulted in a death and hundreds of life threatening illnesses in a very small community.  However, lm89599076 tells us later in this thread that her experience that resulted her child's severe dental fluorosis and tooth loss was actually in an unreported extended duration overfeed in Juneau, Alaska.  

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 61

Thank you so much for your comments on the overfeed in Alaska. It was the overfeed in Hooper  Bay AK that inspired me to investigate the mechanism of acute fluoride toxicity in those poisoned in that event, which is probably the worst poisoning disaster fron use of fluoridated water in the country. This after 15 years led to the published article in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health 439490. It is available free online (due to kind donations from private persons) at:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2013/439490/

Thank you

Richard Sauerheber
Info Seeker

Message 35 of 61
I and my family were accidentally poisoned by an overspill of sodium fluoride into the municipal water system in a small Alaskan town in the 90's, and that is how I became aware of fluoride toxicity and overexposure. Ironically my son, who was a fetus/infant at the time, has very poor enamel with major mottling which continues to get worse as he gets older. I expect him to have false teeth in his twenties. I have had huge trouble with my thyroid function ever since. Glad to hear AARP is considering a policy against fluoridation. This definitely would interest me in joining!
Info Seeker

Message 36 of 61

This is what I just sent to AARP's Media contact email:

Dear AARP,

I am one of a growing number of very concerned citizens now asking your organization, at this very critical moment in human history, to write a position statement opposing fluoridation.

Very simply, artificial fluoridation of our public water supplies is unconstitutional and unlawful mass medication of a non-consensual population. Introduced while the country rode the long booming wave of the post–World War II economic expansion, this "medication," which has been touted as the wonder drug of the dental health community, is in fact a mass poisoning orchestrated by the some members of government and big business. This partnership, long in cahoots, has mutually beneficial and allied agendas: keep the public at large, unhealthy but just healthenough not to die right away but be kept tied to the healthcare system and in pharmaceutical dependence. 

This is no longer conspiracy theory: this conspiracy is a fact. Fluoride is, for a fact, an industrial waste that is produced in great amounts which has been brilliantly been being disposed of for over 45 year by way of dilution for profit as it is sold back to the public for consumption. You will not die immediately from these "very low levels" but in time, it will accumulate in your organs and something will give... you and your family will accept this as the normal aging process in a modern world where people are living longer and longer... but are we really going to become blasé about end-stage renal failure, parathyroid disease, and the like?

Please help by demanding they get the F(luoride) out of OUR water!

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 61

Thanks for the support!

Unfortuanately large cities such as NYC are mandated by Public Health programs to fluoridate the public water supply, even though the American Dental Association has not done it's homework: no large scale review of the scientific literature has shown that fluoride is safe and it also hasn't shown that it is effective: See the recent Cochrane Oral Health Review, National Academy of Science and The York Review for more details of studies showing adverse health effects.

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 61
Right on write on wil do!!!
Gold Conversationalist

Message 39 of 61

”Fluoridation is the greatest case of scientific fraud of this century, if not of all time."  - Dr. Robert Carton, EPA (1992)

Thank you Susan Kanen for your comment above! 

AARP - Are you reading this?

• EXCERPT "None of my AMA doctors had a clue what was wrong with me. As a biochemist, I finally speculated I might be fluoride poisoned. I insisted on getting a fluoride analysis of the deformed head of my femur bone sawed off during hip replacement. It measured 1500 ppm fluoride of ashed bone weight, pointing to the diagnosis of the initial stage of skeletal fluorosis. My medical bills 2012-2014 were almost $150,000....... I did not give my consent to be an experimental toxic waste dump for the last 60 years! Now since May 2013 avoiding fluoride, I am slowly getting better. My thyroid has shunk to 61% of the goiter of two years ago, antibodies against thyroid are reduced, my parathyroid hormone level is now midrange normal after persistently elevated levels post parathyroidectomy, no reoccurrance of kidney stones, less GI irritation and less neurological symptoms like numbness, anxiety, lack of ability to concentrate. and forgetfulness, less pain."
Info Seeker

Message 40 of 61

The National Academy of Sciences 2006, The recent Cochrane Report, the Australian Review, the York Review, all agree - the quality of scientific research on the benefits and adverse health effects is surprisingly poor - considering that hexafluorosilicic acid, a known toxic waste product from the fertilizer industry and other industries (Aluminum and Oil) has been added to our clean water for over 50-60 years!

Fluoride was touted as a nutrient yet we know now that not one cell in our body needs the fluorine element to function properly, and in fact, it reduces thyroid function!

Why are we still paying the industries to dilute their toxic waste for a chemical that is not regulated by the FDA yet we drink this drug every day? If we don't drink fluoridated water, we get fluoride in our tea, our meat, our soda, wine, beer, anything that has been made with fluoridated water! Yet if we have arthritic pain, we do not get tested for fluoride over exposure. If we have memory loss, we do not get tested for fluoride overexposure. If we have reduced thyroid or reduced kidney function, no doctor routinely checks our exposure to fluoride, this untested, unregulated, unapproved drug.

By the American Dental Association still promoting water fluoridation, they are not doing their homework.

Please AARP - provide a task force that does it's own unbiased research on this and inform your members on your findings. We need to know.

thank you