Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Gold Conversationalist

Re: Fluoride - Demand AARP Take Action

[ Edited ]
Message 11 of 56 (4,991 Views)

“The current system in the United States for evaluating scientific evidence and making health-based decisions about environmental chemicals is fundamentally broken,” - Project TNDR (Targeting Environmental Developmental Risks) 2016

“There are numerous mechanisms by which uncontrolled dosing of fluorides through water fluoridation can potentially harm thyroid function, the body and the brain…Communities of color and the underserved are disproportionately harmed by fluorides." - Mark Hyman, MD (2016)

Incredulously, the fluoridationist profiteers and their shills are not only continuing to pour millions of dollars into supporting this policy, they have managed to kill a CNN medical expose on fluoridation and are tying Medicaid dollars to fluoridation even as more studies are proving connections between fluoride consumption and increases in diabetes and irritable bowel disease. 

• 2016 in Scandanavian Journal of Gastronology Fluoride: a risk factor for inflammatory bowel disease? found statistical spikes in diagnoses of Crohn's and other IBD in America, Canada, Australia and Wales shortly after communities fluoridated.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27199224 

• 2016 in Journal of Water and Health Community water fluoridation predicts increase in age-adjusted incidence and prevalence of diabetes in 22 states from 2005 and 2010 found that NaF, which is not only used to fluoridate water supplies but is also prescribed to children living in non-fluoridated communities, spikes diabetes.   http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-08/cwru-fcl081716.php

Folks - this is serious. Phone and email AARP executives and DEMAND the AARP use their power in Congress and with state officials to end the poisoning of our water supplies! 

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 12 of 56 (5,772 Views)

“No school, college or independent medical research institution dares to be critical of fluoridation because they receive grants from the U.S. Public Health Service. Likewise, no big food, beverage or drug company will dare speak critically of fluoride because they are under the supervision of the FDA, a branch of the USPHS. One brewery official told me that their own research indicated grave questions about fluoridation, but they dare not speak out. As you know, the Food and Drug Administration can bankrupt any national food, beverage or drug company with a little adverse comment." - W .B. Hartsfield, mayor of Atlanta, Georgia, in Dental Survey (1961)

The politics of fluoridation promotion are staggering. The worst of the social media trolls formed a non-profit, bought an url, and are collecting grant money to continue to spew their lies. The "American Fluoridation Society" got at least $50,000 from Delta Dental. Delta Dental also funded a propaganda curriculum under the guise of "civic engagement" at Allegheny College that sent college students home ready to campaign in their home towns for fluoridation in order to help the poor kids. Doubt Delta Dental told these college students that hundreds of fluoridation studies during their lifetime prove that fluoridation inteferes with their ability to learn, disrupts their hormones, and does more harm to teeth than good. 

See April 2016 letter to National Governors Association from consumer advocate Erin Brockovich, water consultant Bob Bowcock, and "elite" whistleblower lawyer Michael Kohn regarding the  propaganda efforts to politicize fluoridation in order to drown out the science: http://fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/brockovich-2016.pdf  

Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 56 (5,735 Views)

"Long-continued ingestion of minute quantities of fluorine causes disease of the thyroid gland." - Douglas D. Styne, MD

"The American Thyroid Association should be the spokesmen on thyroid health, not dentists or marketeers funded by the fluoride industry." - 2016 letter to ATA

Share this letter with everyone you know who has a thyroid disease. Ask they share it with their physicians. http://fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/ATA_2016_02_11.pdf

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 56 (5,835 Views)

"The plain fact that fluorine is an insidious poison, harmful, toxic and cumulative in its effects, even when ingested in minimal amounts, will remain unchanged no matter how may times it will be repeated in print that fluoridation of the water supply is 'safe'." - Ludwig Gross, MD, former Chief of Veterans' Administration Cancer Research and medical journalist

Geez - how much evidence does anyone need that fluoridation is harmful? There is no question that fluoride is an endocrine disruptor, even in "optimally" fluoridated water. There is a ton of evidence going back a hundred years proving it suppresses thyroid hormones, science which was reinforced in recent years. Now look at these latest studies. 

• 2015 in Toxicology in Vitro. Fluoride as a factor initiating and potentiating inflammation in THP1 differentiated monocytes/macrophages.  Immune system inflammation means your body is stressed and could be overwhelmed, as well as worsening any inflammatory disease. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887233315001605

• 2016 in Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism. Timing of Environmental Exposures as a Critical Element in Breast Cancer Risk.  Fluoride is one of many EPA environmental toxins, and timing of exposure increases risk factor to breast cancer. Fluoride also reduces melatonin, a hormone produced by the pineal gland. Melatonin protects against breast cancer. So, take away the protective hormones, add a little glyphosate here, a little fluoride there, and voila! Breast cancer!    http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jc.2015-2848#sthash.cKViKSuL.dpuf

Baby Boomers, we are being poisoned simply because there are paychecks and professional reputations dependent on fluoridation promotion. Big business and big pharma are funding fluoridation because their business model is at risk if fluoridation is criticized. But it is our health, our lives, and our grandchildren's lives at stake!  

Tell the AARP president to grow a spine and write an AARP resolution opposing fluoridation as being an ill advised policy that is harmful to many senior citizens! aarppresident@aarp.org

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 56 (5,634 Views)

“Drinking fluoridated water is harmful, we’ve been deceived to believe it is safe, and with new found knowledge we must all act now to stop it.” - Erin Brockovich, April 2015

Sign and share this petition demanding Congress tell the IOM to respond to the content of the April 2015 letter signed by Erin Brockovich and others!

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/dietary-fluoride-and/

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 16 of 56 (5,862 Views)

All I want for Christmas is for my water not to be poisoned! 

The arrogance of lazy lawmakers and corrupt regulators astounds me. Not only has the Institute of Medicine refused to respond to the April 2015 letter signed by consumer advocate Erin Brockovich, Wm. Ingram president of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine, David Matthews of Matthews & Associates, and others, but also Congress hasn't made a single request that the IOM do so. 

Sign this petition demanding a response to that letter: http://petitions.moveon.org/s/sVCrGR

Letter: https://www.aaemonline.org/pdf/LetterIOM_2015.04.27.pdf  

Please share the link to the petition with your friends and family on Facebook and via Twitter. 

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 17 of 56 (6,892 Views)

There are people in Anchorage working to get fluoride out of the water.I liked their facebook page so I could read their posts. That's another one of the towns where I was getting slowly poisoned for many years. It's nice to see Alaskans wising up and getting rid of fluoride. Such an ironic tragedy for people living in that beautiful pristine state to have their water poisoned. How could I have guessed that people would put rat poison in my water and that I wouldn't be able to smell it, taste it or see it? The whole thing is just awful, really. I probably wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced first hand what fluoride can do to you. It **bleep** near killed me! Glad I figured out what was going on before it did. I still hadn't figured out it was fluoride making us sick at the time I moved out of Alaska after living their all my life, something I thought I'd never do. But I went on a few vacations out of state and realized I was getting better while away, and getting sicker again when returning to Juneau. I wasn't sure what was doing it, but I got my family out. Later, after I put two and two together and figured out it had been fluoride in the water sickening us, I contacted people I knew who were still there to tell them.

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 18 of 56 (6,641 Views)

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, I am the great and powerful Oz!"  - Professor in the Wizard of Oz

Pew, in association with the CDC and various dental health coalitions, has taken the lead in the creation of a series of "effective messaging" trainings which are based in psychological manipulation of public opinion rather than science. 

1. Poisoning Minds: The Pew training includes advice on 'inoculating' key community stakeholders with pro-F literature and warnings about fluoridation opponents.

2. Sales Literature: Pew provides 'media packets' aimed at editors and reporters, essentially writing articles and editorials for them, i.e. creating infomercials to sell a product. These materials emphasize authoritative endorsements and dismissively ignores contrary evidence. 

3. Astroturfing: Pew also provide sample letters to the editor and sample comments for local fluoridationists to copy and paste. Dentists, dental hygienists, dental students and members of local Boards of Health have been their traditional shills. However, they are expanding into high school youth groups with 'mentoring' programs. 

4. Bullying: Pew emphasizes inserting "outrage and anger" into local conversations. That particular intimidation technique scares some locals away from commenting on line or otherwise speaking out about their opposition to fluoridation, while tainting the science for for those who might be receptive to objectively looking at the facts. To underscore their promotional intitiative, members of the Pew sponsored "Rapid Response Team" comment on every local article and letter published in the English speaking world. Perhaps ten to twelve folks, the RRT team is primarily made up of older dentists and members of the ironically named "skeptics" group, and of course a few irregular "intranet trolls" who simply enjoy being abusive. 

Pew and CDHP Fluoridation Advocacy Reporthttps://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/cdhp-fluoridation/CDHP_FlouridationAdvocacyReport_FINAL.pdf 

AARP - Speak up! 

Gold Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 19 of 56 (6,426 Views)

“A good scientist spends his whole career questioning his own facts. One of the most dangerous things you can do is believe.” - Nigel Noriega, Environmental Scientist and Endocrine Biologist (2011)

There is no argument that fluoride is an endocrine disruptor, nor that it causes inflammations and has an impact on the immune system. Fluoridationists argue that water concentrations are too low to trigger those effects, despite the visible evidence of dental fluorosis in approximately half of today's children, many of whom also drink filtered and bottled water which reduces their dosage. 

1. - This summer, yet another study confirms fluoride inflames the immune system and AT CONCENTRATIONS FOUND IN ARTICIALLY FLUORIDATED WATER! 
    Fluoride as a factor initiating and potentiating inflammation in THP1 differentiated monocytes/macrophages. I. Gutowskaa, I. et al. Toxicology in Vitro. Volume 29, Issue 7, October 2015, Pages 1661–1668. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887233315001605 

2. - Another study proves for the first time that the central nervous system, spinal column and brain, has an immune system susceptible to inflammation. This likely explains why those with autoimmune diseases also complain about neurological symptoms. 

Structural and functional features of central nervous system lymphatic vessels. Louveau A. et al. Nature. 2015 Jul   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26030524 

Regardless of what anyone believed the science proved in 1949, leadership should be making decisions based on MODERN SCIENCE

AARP, the ADA and CDC are in too deep to do an about face. Be a LEADER.... speak up

Gold Conversationalist

Message 20 of 56 (6,373 Views)

"....infants fed formula made with fluoridated water suffer higher rates of dental fluorosis."

- Dr. Paul Connett, former Professor Emeritus in Environmental Chemistry and founder of the Fluoride Action Network (see post on infant exposure

NysCof posted a link in a comment above to a blog post that describes how the f-lobby got the mandatory California fluoridation on the books, then bragged about their secretive tactics to avoid public input and debate. In that post, it mentions a CA team led by Howard Pollick team that studied 2,520 California preschool children. A majority of Asian-American children that Pollick and his research team studied, lived in areas with fluoridated water; yet they suffered with the highest prevalence and the greatest amount of cavities.They report. "Our analysis did not appear to be affected by whether or not children lived in an area with fluoridated water," reports Pollick et al.

Pollick also reports in the "International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health" that "infant formula made with optimally fluoridated water might create brown and pitted permanent teeth." That is consistent with many studies that show children's teeth will grow in stained if fed formula reconstituted with fluoridated water.

Yet, Pollick remains committed to fluoridation, even when his own dental research proves it has no benefit, and causes permanent harm to infants and young children. Pollick assidiously avoids exploring any of the neurological, thyroid, or kidney damage science attached to childhood exposure. Pollick is also committed to back room dealings of questionable ethics, both on a state and national level. See following extracted from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) email communications released this year. 

CDC Clearance Chain: 2010 email collaboration between Steven Levy and Gary Whitford of IFS, Jay Kumar of NY DPH and ADA staff with CDC regarding wording of a 2011 ADA report on infant formula  supposedly based on IFS data revealed a less than scientific approach to decision making. The collusion softened the language and obfuscated findings so as to remain supportive of  CDC fluoridation policy. A concern voiced in the email trail was not to provide “fodder to antifluoridationists.” This biased “wordsmithing” by individual authors and ADA with CDC input calls into question the scientific integrity of dental researchers, IFS project and ADA.  The peer review of the report by JADA found the report to be too confusing. The JADA editor suggested that the authors focus on major findings, include less data, and articulate clearer conclusions, which ironically was what the group was trying so hard not to do.  

I particularly like the comment by Howard Pollick of the University of California, San Francisco on June 4, “We should say something about why we are recommending fluoridated water, even though there has been no or little research on the benefits of fluoridated water in infant formula in the prevention of dental caries.” This led to discussion about the inclusion of endorsements of fluoridation to justify recommendations not supported by data, a puzzling action for a panel claiming to promote an “evidence-based approach” to care for national implementation. Including any of those endorsements, like the one from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), provides the textbook example of circular logic. The AAP based their endorsement on PHS/CDC endorsements of dietary fluoride from the discredited 1940s and 1950s trials…. trials that IFS was trying, unsuccessfully, to substantiate. 

Also in this email trail, Krishna Aravamudhan, the Asst Director of Evidence-Based Dentistry, on 2/22/2010 suggested it might be better to phrase the report so as to let the reader wonder if there was a connection between formula and fluorosis rather than imply it, although he stated on 3/2/2010 that there was a statistically significant association between elevated fluorides and reconstituted formula. On 5/3/10, Krishna states the thorny questions of the group on a call included, ‘How can we say mostly mild dental fluorosis in the report when 3% of the fluorosis cases in the Iowa study are moderate to severe?’ It seems that Krishna was personally fine with using “mostly” as the qualifier. 

Another email trail in these FOIA documents concerned the ADA and CDC co-sponsoring recommendations for topical fluorides, a continuation of the ‘successful  ADA-CDC collaboration on many project over the last few years.’  Krishna Aravamudan of the ADA specifically complimented CDC staff, Dr. Barbara Gooch, Dr. Eugenio Beltran and Dr. Jennifer Cleveland of the CDC for their assistance to the ADA in their endeavors, most of which seem to be for the purpose of fluoride promotion.  Jane McGinley, ADA Manager of Fluoridation and Dr. Wm Bailey of the Chief Dental Officer of the PHS were other primary stakeholders in these collaborations. 

Baby Boomers, if you figure it's too late for you..... consider your grandchildren. 

Tell the AARP you want a Position Paper in opposition to fluoridation!