From retirement calculators to free tax assistance, AARP has the member benefits you need. Explore today.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Fluoride - Demand AARP Take Action

Message 11 of 394

City municipal efflueluent requires a State discharge permit.  California environmental laws are more strict than federal laws.  Neither the FDA nor the EPA has anything to do with municipal discharge permits.  

RS:  "Letters from the state EPA repeat what the Federal EPA Office of Water says  Which is they are not responsible for fluoridation but if a city decides to do so they do not prohibit it."

The California EPA may not be responsible for fluoridation, but they are responsible for discharge into the environment.  If there was merit to your claim, they could shut down municipal discharge of fluoridated water in a heart-beat.

I gather from your answer that you have not contacted the California Environmental Protection Agency's DTSC whose Mission Statement reads:  "The mission of DTSC is to protect California’s people and environment from harmful effects of toxic substances by restoring contaminated resources, enforcing hazardous waste laws, reducing hazardous waste generation, and encouraging the manufacture of chemically safer products."

I find it amazing that someone who is so hell-bent on proving that fluoridated water is harmful to the environment, who has at his fingertips, an agency which has, "Over 1,000 scientists, engineers, toxicologists, chemists, geologists, attorneys, criminal investigators and administrative staff," has not bothered to contact that agency with his grave concerns.  And this is an agency which is tasked with investigating and enforcing some of the strictest environmental laws in the world. 

Why is it that you haven't even brought this matter to the attention of one of the toughest environmental agencies in the world, whose sole purpose it to assist you and your environmental concerns?   

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 394

This has been a long ongoing problem. The CA DPH and CA Environmental protection agency has accepted what CDC officials have declared, that fluoridation is requested to he done.

Letters from the state EPA repeat what the Federal EPA Office of Water says  Which is they are not responsible for fluoridation but if a city decides to do so they do not prohibit it. The Office of water states that the responsibility lies with the FDA. 

City discharges require a NPDES permit yes. But all cities have their own excuse for discharging fluoridated water. Most say incorrectly that they have the permit but such permits are supposed to be temporary. (for cleaning and maintenance issues for example)   not permanent permits. Some cities argue that fluoride is. A Food and needs no permit. Every city is different. 

Richard Sauerheber, Ph.D.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 394

Thank you for your input, Carry Anne.  

Considering the fact that California has some of the strictest environmental laws in the world, certainly in the United States, and since the State of California is responsible for issuing discharge permits, I was curious about Dr. Sauerheber's concerns regarding discharge from South Sacramento into the Sacramento River.  

I would be interested in whether or not he contacted California's Department of Environmental Protection, specifically the DTSC, and what the reply from that department was.  

Is there anything objectionable with the question?

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 394

"Regulatory gaps are lobbyist created Grand Canyons designed to cheat the system.” - Erin Brockovich (2016)

Plenty of things are legal that are not scientifically justified. Asbestos products and leaded gasoline were legal until they weren't. California is rewriting the book on glyphosate, the active ingredient in Monsanto's herbicide sold as RoundUp which is used heavily on GMO foods. Following the recent $289m judgment against Monsanto in a CA court for maliciously deceiving the public regarding purported 'safety' that resulted in one man's terminal cancer, I expect there will be more changes across the country. 

The details of the Monsanto trial mirror the banning of public smoking because of the risk to vulnerable populations. Tobacco fought that one all the way. Second hand smoke bans are an apt analogy for fluoridaton opposition. 

Fluoridation is an immoral medical mandate that pollutes a shared resource necessary to life with a toxin that compromises the health of vulnerable populations as well as poses an environmental threat to other species. 

AARP should be a leader in opposing fluoridation policy based on evidence and ethics. 

Erin Brockovich on fluoridation

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 394

RS, your comment:  "This is what happens when cities let dental officials control what is allowed in public waterways."

Cities have nothing to do with it.

The State of California issues Discharge Permits.  If you have a concern you should contact the California Environmental Protection Agency.  Specifically, you should contact the DTSC.  You should know this already.  

If you do know this, please provide the text of the letter you sent to that office, and I would be interested in seeing the reply that was sent to you.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 394

It is insane that a "river" this small has a discharge tube that dumps the city's sanitized but fluoridated waste water into it. This is what happens when cities let dental officials control what is allowed in public waterways. The late Dr. A. A. Benson said this also, after he learned that San Diego began fluoridating the city even though citizens voted twice against it. Dr. Benson discovered the carbon fixation reaction in plant photosynthesis, the Calvin Benson cycle. He is sorely missed. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 394

We just crossed the Sacramento River where it enters the city. As I said, most anyone can throw a stone across it since it is very small for a river. Industrial fluoride chemicals are still discharged by the city into it continuously  and the former thriving salmon fishing industry remains nonexistent. And what else would one expect? 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 394

This is the last day of my month long travel through British Columbia and Alaska. I'm happy to say that all of B. C. is now fluoridation free. All of Alaska also is except for Anchorage which adds industrial fluoride materials into water to treat citizens in what constitutes a bone fluoridation program. . I provided their city assembly copies of the new book chapter on fluoride toxicology. The group Fluoride Free Alaska wrote several thank you's.

It is time to understand that truth is true and facts are immutable. Stop fluoridating U.S. citizens. I am not interested in retribution for this but simply expect the madness to stop. Our children need help, not an artificial  burden to avoid. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 394

Yes. The largest  study we have by teotia and teotia, a 30 year effort, indicated the lowest caries incidence for people in a high calcium low fluoride area, and the highest incidence was in a high fluoride low calcium area. There is no doubt that calcium builds strong teeth, not fluoride. And what else would one expect when enamel is a calcium phosphate matrix devoid of fluoride?

We need to teach the truth not only for seniors but for kids to protect their future. That's the key reason for me  to explain the facts. I have protected my grandson so far but it is not easy. In a fluoridated country 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 394

Richard,

The evidence I've seen indicates calcium and magnesium have a greater effect on caries than fluoride.  Just looking at fluoride is far too simplistic.  Other minerals need to be evaluated.  However, regardless of fluoride between 0.1, 0.7 and 1 ppm, cavity rates were at 1.7 per child.  

CDC, ADA and proponents of fluoridation thing fluoride is a magic element unaffected by other chemicals, everyone benefits and everyone needs more and no one is at risk.  

That kind of simplistic thinking might be good for first grade, but not science.

Bill Osmunson DDS MPH

Kudos
Views