Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Contributor

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Has anyone else been concerned about the closing of our current AARP credit cards and its effect on our credit scores? We've had our VISA for many years and have built a lot of history with them. Now AARP is going to CLOSE those accounts and replace them with a new one that won't have any history. Just closing the account will lower our scores significantly. We, for one, don't want to use the Barclay cards, which offer significantly less rewards, so the total amount of our credit will be reduced, another factor in the building of our credit scores.

What do you think?

POST-  Postscript 09-21-21: To head off what I was sure would be a catastrophe, and after looking up references on Barclay, we created a new Chase CC account (on August 12th, received it on the 15th), set up our auto-pay bills, and set up the new account for auto-pay from our bank. We paid off the balance on the old AARP account by 09-08-21, and cashed in all our rewards. Then today, we activated the Barclay account (online) and immediately canceled it (by automated phone call). We're in the process of setting up a second Chase card to compensate for the first CC account lower credit limit. Guess we're  lucky to have managed to get through to our Barclay account. Keep trying, folks, and don't hold back on your comments to both companies. They certainly could have done a better job of planning all this. Giving their customers a voice in the choice should have been STEP NUMBER ONE.

AND yet another POSTSCRIPT on 09-24: Today Barlcays was daring enough to send us a 'welcome' email with a reminder to activate our card, to which we replied,

"Thanks, but no thanks!

We didn't, and don't, want your card. We have already activated and immediately cancelled our Barclay cards.

For those poor folks who are, to this day, still trying to activate their card or just talk to a live person at your company, we extend our sympathy. Your company has made what should have been a direct and automated process so overly labor-intensive for so many seniors that you won't soon be forgotten or forgiven.

Shame on AARP for choosing you and shame on you for being so ill-prepared to handle the conversion.

Signed, 'notsoyoung'
Contributor

I agree 100%

Periodic Contributor

I survived the nightmare of this abusive and botched transition by AARP to Barclays by extracting myself and concurrently changing cards, ultimately to Chase Freedom Unlimited card, which has been smooth as silk....

Contributor

Barclay's STUCK an invalid charge of $11.99 on their new Barclay's AARP credit card transferred from Chase AARP credit card. 7 other transactions were transferred too, but these were valid. I asked AARP for help. As of today, 2/15/22, the charged has been reversed, and here is what I find as disturbing. (1) I was a member of AARP for years, but had to cancel a few years ago. With my wife disabled, and us living on a fixed income, the $28 subscription fee was a luxury we could not afford. AARP will not help us since we are no longer members. (2) I question why AARP still has their name associated with Barclay. (3) Barclay's policy is to "dispute items in writing", Complaint Policy | Barclays US (barclaycardus.com) not just call a "Relationship Manager" (as is common practice with other credit cards). (4) When a CASE NUMBER was finally assigned in month 2, Barclay CONTINUED to charge me a finance charge (which is not allowed by FTC rules). (4) when the item was finally removed, the service charges WERE NOT removed. I had to call them to get the service charges reversed. (5) Since I had refused to become a Barclay AARP Credit Card holder, I lose my accumulated points (6) these point can only be cashed when you reach $2,500 in purchases instead of $2,000 in purchases.

I feel this mess is finally over, and wanted to convey my thoughts on this whole mess. Thanks for nothing AARP.

Periodic Contributor

Why isnโ€™t AARP helping us with this mess?? I just got off the phone with AARP again asking for help with this mess as Barclay is of no use, butโ€ฆ.   I have been fighting with Barkley since August 2021 on three charges and I am repeatedly told, after many calls and hours of sitting on hold, that it will be handled. It is now May 2022! I canceled my card two months ago as Iโ€™ve had enough of this and now they have reported my account delinquent to the credit reporting bureaus. I contacted the bureau that these are charges in dispute so thatโ€™ll buy me some time but I donโ€™t know how to get Barclay to clear this up. Recently I had to return a printer to Best Buy that broke and Best Buy gave a credit to my closed AARP Chase card so currently neither Chase nor Barclay know where my Best Buy credit is and Best Buy says they canโ€™t help me but they were able to put the credit on my closed accountโ€ฆ.  Ideas?  

Regular Contributor

Hi @ceecee0417, I am sorry to hear about the frustration regarding this. AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to Barclays on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please send me a direct message or call us toll-free at 1 (888) 687-2277 and request an escalation with the Member Relations Team. Please include the following information:
โ€ข Description of your issue as mentioned above
โ€ข Your phone #, address and AARP Member #
โ€ข Please mention that you are requesting an escalation with the Member Relations Team
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon so we can provide assistance to this matter! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I just did what you told me to do and I was told to call Barclay which is the same answer I get every time I call AARP.  I was on the phone with Liza of AARP for over 48 minutes, Told I can expect a call back in 3 days from AARP.  I hope so.

Periodic Contributor

Let us know if AARP calls you back. The answer from AARP to this incredibly botched decidion is to stonewall, ignore, hide. From the very beginning of this disaster every AARP well paid executive has refused to explain this mistake to their members. 

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree. I even called the AARP headquarters in Washington, D.C., I believe. They set up a case file, refused to confirm it in an email and never got back to me! The rep even complained that they were inundated with calls because of this debacle and "it was stressful."!

If I were you, I would try to solve it WITHOUT Barclays (another royal circus) or AARP. I do not believe they will ever come through.

Trusted Contributor

My mess is almost over, too. Thanks to the legal system, it is all going in my favor. In my 60 years on this planet, I have never seen such a banking fiasco with total incompetence and corruption. 

Periodic Contributor

I am beside myself dealing with Barcla since August 2021 on three fraudulent charges. Hours of being on hold hours, of composing letters because they claim they need it documented, hours of being told it will be handled and here we are made of 2022 I canceled my card two months ago leaving a balance due and now they are reporting me as delinquent I have contacted all the credit bureaus to clear this up but I need this cleared up at Barclays. Why isnโ€™t  AARP helping us? What do you suggest I do?

Periodic Contributor

I'm so thankful I got away from these incompetent fools... I went to the Hotels.com card long enough to get the two free hotel nights, which I enjoyed in a harbor view room in San Diego's Point Loma... NOW, I have cancelled that and applied/ received the Chase Freedom Unltd. Card which has better rewards and a $200 bonus! SCREW these guys, I turned the tables!!!! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

A lot of us are winning, too! People are dumping Barclays and the AARP. I have done so and legal action has been taken.

They are the most corrupt banks on this planet.

Periodic Contributor

I am beside myself. How do I get this cleared up with Barkley fighting since August 2021 with three charges. Why is AARP not helping us??  What do you suggest I do? I am so sick of being home for hours with Barkley and then they can help you or claim it will be handled and it never ends. They have not reported me as delinquent because I have not paid the last two months but I contacted the credit reporting companies but I should not have to be dealing with thisโ€ฆ.THANK YOU AARP!

Trusted Contributor

Hello

I ended up going to Small Claims Court in Boston and I won. They had to pay me 1850 US dollars in addition to 275 for pain and suffering. It took 6 months to get it solved! I have cancelled my membership with AARP and pulled out of Barclays. I now have Capitol One, which is excellent! You are treated with the most respect as a client. I suggest going with them.

Periodic Contributor

Happy for your outcome.  It took me 9 months to finally get my problems resolved with Barkleys!!!  Reading the latest AARP magazine they're still ENDORSING AARP members to sign up with the bank!!!

Sad indeed. 

@NormaS567291 wrote:

Hello

I ended up going to Small Claims Court in Boston and I won. They had to pay me 1850 US dollars in addition to 275 for pain and suffering. It took 6 months to get it solved! I have cancelled my membership with AARP and pulled out of Barclays. I now have Capitol One, which is excellent! You are treated with the most respect as a client. I suggest going with them.

Trusted Contributor

If you go with AAA membership, you will get similar discounts etc...

AARP made a huge blunder and they are off my list.

Periodic Contributor

I opened an account in June 2020.  Right off the bat there was a fraudulent charge of $14.00.  I contacted the bank, they waived the charge on the newly opened account, closed the account, opened and gave me a new account and card.  THEN they moved the $14.00 fraudulent charge to my new account!!!  I've contacted the bank several times, all I get is some letter from there fraudulent department they're investigating the issue, but I never hear anything back.  Calling there customer service 1-800 number is a joke!!!  You're on hold forever, then your disconnected.   Since July of 2020 every month they continue to add late fees and interest to the $14.00 fraudulent charge.  My credit score went from very good of 720 to just fair of 650.  ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE BANK!!!  Shame on AARP for endorsing this sham of a credit card.

Trusted Contributor

AARP sends you a help email and never gets back to you! I have received at least 10, in addition to calls asking for the info I had already provided at least 3 times.

I suggest pulling out asap.

In addition, look up the recent history of the Top Management at Barclay's. You will fall off your chair!

Regular Contributor

HI @DavidW740388. I am sorry to hear about the frustration regarding this. AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to Barclays on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/contactsupport) to submit a web help form and include the following information:
โ€ข Description of your issue as mentioned above
โ€ข Your phone # and address for outreach 
โ€ข Please mention that you are requesting an escalation
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon so we can provide assistance to this matter! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

opened an account in June 2020.  Right off the bat there was a fraudulent charge of $14.00.  I contacted the bank, they waived the charge on the newly opened account, closed the account, opened and gave me a new account and card.  THEN they moved the $14.00 fraudulent charge to my new account!!!  I've contacted the bank several times, all I get is some letter from there fraudulent department they're investigating the issue, but I never hear anything back.  Calling there customer service 1-800 number is a joke!!!  You're on hold forever, then your disconnected.   Since July of 2020 every month they continue to add late fees and interest to the $14.00 fraudulent charge.  My credit score went from very good of 720 to just fair of 650.  ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE BANK!!!  Shame on AARP for endorsing this sham of a credit card.

Trusted Contributor

I totally understand. I have stopped my AARP membership and filed suit in court against Barclays. It is a disgusting, corrupt bank.

Go to CAPITAL ONE! They gave me an account immediately and treated me like a queen.

Regular Contributor

I cancelled this **bleep** thing quite some time ago due to the colossal incompetence of Barclays. A small balance was paid in FULL , which they still managed to get out of my bank anyway. Then it was restored.   Now I am getting letters from these fools acting like the account was never closed.  There has to be a million lawsuits against these crooks at the least.  I will NOT renew AARP either---they switched us for MONEY and cared nothing for anything else.  

Periodic Contributor

Yep.  Closed my account months ago in 2021 after opening an account.  Right off the bat there was a $24.00 FRADULENT CHARGE.  Stupid Barclays waived this charge, opened a new account AND MOVED THE charge to my new account!  There 1 800 number is a joke, nothing but incompetent people.  Barclays continue to Bill me monthly late fees and past due amounts, up to approx. $200.00 now!  Barclays has ABSOLUTELY RUINED my excellent credit score down to just fair now.  Shame for AARP for endorsing thus shameful bank!

Trusted Contributor

David

Do not bother contacting the AARP...they will do nothing. I had 2 people contact me and never came through. It is a circus and Barclays is more than fishy. I would go to small claims court and demand a refund in addition to getting your credit score back.

Retired Moderator

Hi David, so sorry to hear of your experience! You can always contact AARP for help if you have an issue with an AARP provider - we've helped a number of members resolve their Barclays issues. AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to Barclays' President's Office on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/contactsupport) to submit a web help form (bottom right of the Help page) and include the following information:

• Description of your issue
  • Please mention that you are requesting an escalation

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It appears AARP will continue to ignore member concerns over this Barclays credit card fiasco. Below are some select copies from an AARP email received today. If you did not have the Chase AARP Visa card you can sign up for Barclays and get back $150, an increase over the $100. More interesting is the โ€œdonationโ€ Barclays will make to AARP for new customers. Always follow the money!

An opportunity to earn a $150 Cash Back Bonus with AARPยฎ Essential Rewards Mastercardยฎ from Barclays

3. From March 2โ€Œ2, 20โ€Œ21 to March 3โ€Œ1, 20โ€Œ22, Barclays Bank Delaware (Barclays) will donate $10 for every newly approved AARP-branded credit card from a Barclays account that is used within the first 90 days of account opening and 1% of all eligible electronic and telecommunications purchases made with the card to AARP Foundation, in support of efforts to increase social connection. Total maximum donation by Barclays is $1 million annually. As AARP's charitable affiliate, AARP Foundation works to end senior poverty by helping vulnerable people over 50 build economic opportunity, emphasizing equitable outcomes.

Trusted Contributor

Are you kidding? The CEO of Barclays has just stepped down due to his affiliation with JEFFREY EPSTEIN. I am cutting off from this corrupt bank, in addition to the AARP circus.

Periodic Contributor

I just cancelled my AARP Barclays Card.  What a mess.  I had no idea how many automatic payments that I had that were tied to my Chase AARP account. Why on earth would anybody think this was a good idea.  Even if it had been executed perfectly, I still would have had to spend hours making sure that I changed all my automatic charges to the Chase account.  The fact that the transfer was a disaster just added to my anger and frustration.  I have yet to see anything from AARP for Barclays apologizing for this inexcusable failure.  I too opened a new account at Chase with whom I never had a problem.

Regular Contributor

I cancelled my Barclays card and account this AM... already have a new Chase card... no more Barclays problems...

hope everybody out there resolves their problems soon...

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP