Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Week 3: Healthy Eating Contest: D is for Delicious!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Week 3: Healthy Eating Contest: D is for Delicious!

‘D’ IS FOR DELICIOUS: Include one vitamin D-rich food in your diet every day this week (June 15-21, 2020).

The challenges of the last few months have dramatically changed how we shop for, prepare and consume food. But now is not the time to back off the good nutritional values you have learned and been practicing. Help support your immune system by adding vitamin D-rich foods such as salmon, herring, sardines, tuna, egg yolks and mushrooms to your diet every day.

Share your experience and a photo here for a chance to win a $100 gift card! (See Official Rules.)

AARPTeri

Made, an egg "omlet" with spinach, mushrooms, onion and garlic, topped with a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Salmon pattie and salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, olives, broccoli, walnuts topped with walnut oil and vinegar

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I enjoy an egg with diced onion, pepper, and tomato on avocado toast. Lately I crave dill pickles that help with the summer heat. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This is homemade tuna salad with fresh orange sections over a garden salad. The tuna salad is made with light mayo, prepared mustard, relish, chopped celery (and fresh dill when I have it). We use both canned tuna and leftover ahi tuna from cooking on the grill; it’s delicious either way. This recipe is healthy, very tasty and low calorie.

tuna salad.jpg

0 Kudos

Salmon with asparagus and potatoes.jpg

Salmon with asparagus and potatoes

0 Kudos
Contributor

OK, for lunch I made a version of Nicoise Salad: tuna, anchovies (just on mine, my wife hates them), boiled potato, hard-boiled egg, tomato, pickle, onion, cottage cheese, a little bit of leaf lettuce and kale, and a vinaigrette of Greek seasonings, cider vinegar, olive oil and some dill-garlic mustard I bought at the National Mustard Museum in Middleton, WI. Always good, although I didn't have any good olives in the house.

Nicoise Salad (my version)Nicoise Salad (my version)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Salads are a great way to get vitamin D in one's diet!Salads are a great way to get vitamin D in one's diet!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I love adding Vitamin-D rich eggs to my salad. Vitamin D rich eggsVitamin D rich eggs

0 Kudos
Contributor

We eat a lot of salmon. Fillets or burgers there’re so many great ways to prepare it! 

727B32E1-27AF-40EE-BCF6-21E7646132AB.jpeg

0 Kudos
Contributor

Aloha... I enjoy scrambled eggs with diced sweet onions, fresh herbs and cheddar cheese. I also whip up some egg whites for my fur buddy, Rocky. It's a great way to start the day.

Spoiler

And eating eggs sideways, I can't locate the edit button, is even more beneficial. ; > 

3DD015BE-1280-467E-897B-B3C78AFC6D9D.jpeg

0 Kudos
Contributor

So, I just noticed this contest yesterday! To bad, it would have been fun to do some of the others. This is sort of a standard weekend breakfast we have before heading out for yard work. Usually I mix everything together, but it is more attractive if there is some separation.

I didn't know that this was a source of D, glad to learn it. The hash is kale, mushroom, onion, sweet peppers, and sausage seasoned with some smoked harissa seasoning from a local market. The eggs are seasoned with Penzey's Northwoods. The little tart cherries are from our tree, but it is getting past their time. However, the blueberries are at their peak right now. And the cottage cheese has chives and dill.

Eggs with a sausage-kale-pepper-mushroom hashEggs with a sausage-kale-pepper-mushroom hash

0 Kudos
Contributor

I didn't realize that a lot of the foods and drinks my family and I are eating do not have Vitamin D. I do always add cheese to our fruit snacks to add protein. Cheese is a great source of Vitamin D which I have learned from researching. I am for sure going to incorporate more foods into our diets with this essential vitamin!!

vitamin D.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have many food sensitivities so making sure I get enough vitamin D in my diet is a challenge.  I try to add a bit of cheese or sour cream when I can as eggs and fish are not an option for me.  I also make sure to get some sunshine as I respond well to getting my D in that form.  Please remember that Vitamin D is a steroid hormone and not a true vitamin!La Burrita 2.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I spend a lot of time outdoors, so I was shocked when my doctor told me my lab results showed that my Vitamin D level was very low. After taking 2,000 mg of Vit. D tablets for 2 weeks, bringing my level back to normal, I decided to research foods that are rich in this important vitamin. I was happy to see that foods that I love: mushrooms, salmon, tuna, avocado, and eggs were included in that list. I still have to take a supplement, but now it's only 500 mg a day. Grilled Salmon = ❤️salmon.PNG 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I love boiled eggs and whole milk, which are loaded with Vitamin D.  Combine they with a walk in the sunshine and it makes for a healthier lifestyle.IMG_0044.JPG

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

VIVA VITAMIN DVIVA VITAMIN D

Since vitamin D helps to regulate our immune system, fortifies bones, lower blood pressure, aid in anti-depression, reduce risk of type 2 diabetes, several kinds of cancer as well as act as an anti-inflammatory aid  enjoy a this nutrish-dish!

An easy entrée that transports you to an Italian villa or alfresco café is sautéed,  egg yok enriched pasta, tossed with wild caught canned sardines, sliced Shiitake mushrooms, topped with grated mozzarella cheese. Drizzle a little decadent Truffle oil for more D and other vitamins.

Sardines: A serving of 1 cup, drained (or 149 g) the amount of Vitamin D is 287.57 IU.

Mushrooms: Shiitake  28IU, 1 whole 3.42 IU.

Cheese: Mozzarella, whole milk, low moisture  18IU

Noodles: Egg, enriched : 4IU

Truffle Oil: Yields Vitamins A, B, C, D, k and offer natural compounds to protect you from "free radicals" toxins that damage cells.

The percentage of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for vitamin d is based on a 400 IU RDA level for a mature adult.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My grandson made a "dippy egg" for me this morning!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Salmon is my go-to-easy-to-fix meal. Here, I have it along with some long grain and wild rice, and my standard veggie mix. I always have a glass of skim milk for dinner, also.

DSCN3888.JPG

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've had no trouble incorporating vitamin D into my diet!  Take this healthy salad for instance...YUM!

IMG_6226.jpg

0 Kudos

I am Delighted with the  challenge of eating vitamin D. This week I started  to grow Vitamin D rich food --- I ordered 100 mushroom mycelium plugs and drilled them into logs. In a few months, I will have lots of wonderful mushrooms (hopefully).  I foraged for wild onions and made a fantastic wild onion and tofu soup. I love to crumble tofu in all my soups. It adds protein and is a good source of delicious vitamin D. I have also snacked on sliced apples with asiago cheese this week  with some ground pepper. Yum! I  drink milk with lunch or dinner every day.  Vitamin D is delicious in my diet.Soup.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love my vitamin D in my potatoes!I love my vitamin D in my potatoes!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Lunchtime or Anytime ** Salmon-Salad-Bruschetta toast Salmon-salad & Bruschetta toastSalmon-salad & Bruschetta toast

Boddy C
0 Kudos

We recently got our own small flock of hens, so we eat fresh eggs several times a week.  My husband made these barbequed lean burgers on one slice of sourdough toast 

and piled on the fresh mushrooms and low-fat mozzarella. Yummy!

20200618_093008.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

A glass of Vitamin D fortified orange juice is a convenient and delicious way to ensure a boost of D every day.  😎6A866B09-9297-441D-803E-0425D06D8C91.jpeg

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Since I'm a vegan and don't eat eggs or dairy, there are not many plants that contain vitamin D, so I take a D3 supplement. I researched Vit D to learn about options for vegans. Now I'll be making sure to buy foods fortified with Vit D - soymilk, oj, cereal.

Reading that some mushrooms, such as shiitake (those are dried mushrooms in the jar), contain vit D, as well as tofu that's fortified with D, tonight I experimented: for the first time I made "egg" rolls stuffed with sauteed shiitake mushrooms, cabbage, kale, and tofu, with a dipping sauce....a little bit of soy, chili sauce, and a lot of ginger. I was very excited to recently find vegan wrappers and now I know how easy it is to make them!  I need some practice wrapping... they're not very neat but they were delicious!

IMG_20200617_223455061_HDR.jpg

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Eggs are always an alternative. Hoping to have laying eggs with cheese, pakrika and green onionseggs with cheese, pakrika and green onionschickens someday!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I made a salad with several hard boiled eggs because eggs are a great source of Vitamin D. To make sure the Vitamin D was bio-available and absorbed my salad dressing was home made with an olive oil base. Vitamins A D E and K must be eaen with fat because these are falt soluble vitamins.  My salad also installing included fresh raddichio, tomatoes and diced garlic with lemon juice and a bit of cayenne for extra zippy taste.  Today I went outoors in the bright sunshine for an hour. Vitamins can be absorbed into the skin from exposure to sunlight.  So being in the SUN and SALAD with lots of hard boiled EGGS was my Vitamin D boost

IMG_20200617_001857_9.jpg

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This is true.
[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/y8ZjrP7x/Kre8art-sig.png[/img][/url]
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

cheese-stuffed mushrooms

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/y8ZjrP7x/Kre8art-sig.png[/img][/url]
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

YummyYummySo good for you!! Great on pizza too.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP