Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Week 1 Healthy Eating Contest 2020: Gut Check

Community Manager
Community Manager

Week 1 Healthy Eating Contest 2020: Gut Check

GUT CHECK: Eat probiotic-rich foods three days this week June 1-7, 2020.

A majority of the body's immune system is located in the gut. Deficiencies in good bacteria can inhibit the immune system from working at its best. The fix? Include probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kombucha, pickles and olives in your diet three days per week.

Share your experience and a photo here for a chance to win a $100 gift card!

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

I have Greek yogurt everyday mixed in different foods for gut health. I cook and purée broccoli, Greek yogurt and herbs for a healthy soup.1CF238EC-B8B2-4EA2-91C4-B50609983253.jpeg

Super Contributor

I make a Turkish yogurt and cucumber cold soup called cacık. I season it with some fresh dill and crushed garlic. It makes a great summer soup.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This sounds interesting. Do you have a recipe? Thank you. Peace and Blessings, SassySurvivor

0 Kudos
Contributor

I eat chobani Greek yogurt fruit on the bottom three times a week with my breakfast.  I don't know how to add a picture but everybody knows what it looks like in the market.

Contributor

I drink kombucha daily for my gut health. It is locally made in AZ.

image.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

I drink kombucha daily for my gut health. It is locally made in AZ.

image.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

image.jpg

Greek yogurt with my fortified oatmeal !I say strawberry and cream 

Periodic Contributor

I start my day off by eating a cup of Greek plain yogurt with blueberries,flax seed,raw natural honey,cinnamon,whipped cream,strawberries and cherries! all the fruit is frozen. sometimes I blend it and most times I just add all ingredients to a bowl.IMG_20200603_045903451.jpg

Periodic Contributor

Thanks so much for the kudos! I love being creative with food it makes it fun to eat! good luck to all and healthy eating is what I do!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dinner using Naan, veggies, and Tsaziki!!!  Soooo flipping yummy!!

297E2DAA-D117-4544-B68E-445042371E4B.jpeg

DD67B35A-E2BF-4BEC-871B-DEFEF0A839D0.jpeg

Super Contributor

One of my favorite breakfast meals is some plain Greek yogurt and I'll add some combination of Almond Butter, Peanut Butter, Coconut, or Raw Cacao and some berries. It's simple and filling.Chobani, Almond Butter & Cacao.jpg

Contributor

I eat at least three fruits each day with applesauce and yogurt with my oatmeal.

For my afternoon snack I generally have hummus with sun chips and ice tea (warm and cold)

I eat plenty of homemade garden salad with my evening dinner meal.

Arnetta E 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@auntieae   Thanks for posting please remember to add a picture if you would like to be included in the contest.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Homemade Kombucha, enough caffeine to launch me through the afternoon!

kombucha.jpg Hoping this is I'm supposed to post... another social media format, sigh.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

FC58754A-653E-4922-B141-C24EA2458338.jpeg

Freezing miso in small containers allows me to defrost just what I need for a probiotic rich sauce or salad dressing. 

Contributor

Kefir with walnuts, kombucha and tonic water for afternoon drinks for four days

Contributor

Today I had a great smoothie. Gut friendly with kiwi pineapple & papaya.it was delicious.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MelissaS575546  and @lw74352710   We would love to enter you into the weekly contest - please include a photo with your posts for a chance to win!

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Yum Yum !Yum Yum !

Today at the grocery store, for the weekI bought healthy Greek yogurt instead of ice cream!

Periodic Contributor

made spaghetti but included some cauliflower rice for some of the pasta

spaghetti with pasta & cauliflower ricespaghetti with pasta & cauliflower rice

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My Buddha Bowl with olives and sauerkraut. 

DCF4D57F-EE9D-433A-ADC9-1E06196251B4.jpeg

This is a great meal to have. Just be careful not to over indulge in the olives as they due contain

a lot of sodium. Unfortunately it's one of mu faves in this dish 😞 

0 Kudos
Contributor

In between meals I love to snack on dill pickles! The coolness and crunch really hit the spot!

F5DBFA83-8BB2-41A0-8C64-4D68CD7CD6BA.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Kefir!   I'm very impressed.  How did you get a starter bacteria or whatever is needed to make it? 

I drink kefir daily, but I always buy it.....would love to try to make it myself.   Kudos to you!

0 Kudos

It's actually really good in shakes instead of milk or water. It's thicker and more healthier!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I got the starter from a friend, and I'm happy to share starter - but you would need to live near me, in the Pittsburgh area.

0 Kudos
Contributor

B231992D-2E70-4691-9566-065309DC25DD.jpeg

Periodic Contributor

My favorite gut healing probiotic food is kombucha. An added antiinflammatory ingediebt is spirulina and chlorella and both of those ingredients are probiotic. The best of both factors....prebiotic AND probiotic.

IMG_20200607_174812_4.jpg

Regular Contributor

I too am impressed! I would love to "figure out" kefir.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I make my own kefir and eat it every morning with cereal and fruit. Delicious!

Kefir.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP