Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

I like to write and make lists to keep my mind active.  I also started doing various math by hand insread of using a calculator.

Conversationalist

I am thankful too!  Thank you for that reminder!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Good for you!  I laughed when a mother mentioned how much calculators were costing for her kids!  I said, try pencils and paper so they really learn their math!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take workshops at Stony Brook University designed for mature learners. I do Yoga and fitness classes on line through AARP. I walk around my community. I volunteer with AARP, my I union and other senior groups. I play on line games. I am involved in political issues that effect me and my community. I have outings with friends. I am a pole worker. To sum it up I keep busy and my mind occupied.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have started playing my violin again after letting it sit in its case for the past several years. I also read a variety of books.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

I keep my brain fit by being an avid reader. I do crossword puzzles, cryptoquips, card games such as solitaire online. I write inspirational messages and send them to various people or send inspirational cards or quotes daily especially to those who are sick or experiencing personal issues. I partner with a non profit organization and volunteer for community service. I work with a food bank to deliver food to needy citizens. I mentor adults who are going through issues or just in need of a listening ear. 

Contributor

Games every day including Mahjong, solitare, word wipe; be sure to diversify.

To keep my balance good I walk up the stairs without touching the sides; lets me know how my balance is.  And read the newspaper on line every day especially the parts that show what happened in prior years - it's an article every day with a short fyi for some years. And be sure to use my left hand for things now and then every day 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I start every morning playing games that keeps my mind sharp. Have have a fruit and yogurt breakfast. I exercise to video and play with my WII. Constantly moving and use the stairs.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I start each day by adding MCT oil to my green tea before eating a cup of frozen blueberries.  Next, I head to the gym for 20-30 minutes of medium level stairmaster while either listening to a podcast or playing Words With Friends, AlphaBetty or Wordle.  Then, I practice vinyasa yoga for an hour.  Twice monthly, I donate platelets to give the gift of life and pay back for the platelets my Dad needed during his battle with multiple myeloma.  I should really work on the rest of my diet as I'm concerned I may be derailing the other efforts to help my brain...gah, the struggle is real.

@AARPTeri wrote:

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been doing zoom classes. I try to exercise and stay up on food preparation that is plant based. AARP offers great zoom classes and I love the movies. I try to do a well rounded offer of classes. Always good to keep the mind active and interact with others from around the USA.

pat mcswain
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I volunteer at my local library twice a week which keeps me sharp reshelving books and looking for those on the hold lists, as well as exposes me to lots of new books. I read at least one a week. I also do word puzzles both on line and in books. I listen to audio books when I work out, usually non-fiction.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I enjoy doing the daily sudoku and kenken puzzles in the daily paper after reading through the paper to stay up with current evenets.  Also like to read articles that AARP puts out everyday.in their emails.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love to read and check out a book a week from my local library.  I also do jigsaw puzzles completing about one a week as well.  I also love crosswords and I do Zumba and yoga 3 times a week.  This keeps my body fit along with daily  mile walks.  I also bowl on a senior bowling league. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

The thing I do everyday to keep my brain sharp is I eat a variety of fresh fruit with my breakfast everyday,  seven days a week, without fail.  The main fruit that does it for me are Blueberries! I've been eating them since I retired in 2017 after reading an article in AARP how this fruit is good for one's brain health. This fruit  has improved my short-term memory, my long-term memory, and my sense of immediate recall. I'm able to recall significate times and experiences in my life without fail. I'm 70 years old and I've be told my brain is "sharp as a tack". I would recommended this fruit to anyone looking to keep their brain sharp and healthy. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I read at least once a day, work crossword puzzles, and work out with a personal trainer three times a week. 

0 Kudos

By doing puzzles and train teasers an the ultimate way to stay young spend lots of time babysitting grand babies. They will keep you on your toes every way possible.❤️

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I read an hour every day (usually Scientific American, Smithsonian, charitable newsletters, or TIME).  I indulge in online games, social interaction, and trivia.  I even talk to and socialize with my family, friends, and cats.  Life is short, but if you're not doing your best every day on everything, then I hope it's a lot more shorter for you.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I keep my brain active by doing daily brain teasers and puzzles (i.e., crosswords, Wordle, Sudoku), eating right, walking for exercise, socializing when safe and where possible, learning and trying new things to broaden my horizons, and reading a LOT. AARP's Games, Videos, Quizzes and informational materials are an integral part of my daily activities for brain health and remaining engaged mentally.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I run at least 1 mile every day. The benefits are:

• My mind gets lots of fully oxygenated blood flowing to it.
  • I have a chance to find a creative solutions to problems while running.
  • I see my world in a new way so I am learning new things about my everyday surroundings. For example, now I can quickly identify our local snakes- a helpful skill while running.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to play internet word games and card games and challenge myself to win greater that 50% of time, currently I am winning 59% of my games which gets me thinking of smarter strategies to approach playing these games.  I also am learning new hobbies like sewing and improving on crochet which I learned as a child.  I learn so much watching videos on You Tube and have added a great deal to my skillsets.  In an effort to tackle new things, I take the attitude "how hard can it be?"  Sometimes, I get in over my head but often am pleasantly surprised by new achievements and accomplishments.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I stay employed and volunteer in company groups and external non-profit organizations. Keep busy!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I play multiple fames of Sudoko daily to keep my brain active. i am also a part of an amazing choir that performs to raise money for charity. Reading the music and blending my voice with the choir and orchestra keeps me on my toes mentally. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 66 years young. I’ve been through a lot including the death of my 23 year old daughter. I get up every morning with the intent of giving my day my best effort. I teach kids and they keep me on my toes!  I play a lot of strategy games and I make sure to have some type of relaxation every day 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

l work part time as a hostess at a dinner theatre. l interact with coworkers & customers, as well as getting 10000 steps as l do my job. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I READ EVERY DAY AND KEEP ACTIVE WALKING AND PLAY MAJONG

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep my brain active playing games on my phone. After retiring in 2019, I went back to work, too. I really missed it! I also like to watch old shows that I grew up watching on on television.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play mahjong twice a week and I read at least one book per week.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am an avid reader. Recommendations from younger friends and family members are particularly good as so many are interested in the world. The nonfiction books make me think!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I volunteer with local, state, and national paralegal associations. I also participate in continuing legal education. Everyone should be continual learners. It keeps the mind sharp.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am aware also that lifelong learners need varied stimulation within a social context that is stimulating. I volunteer at PA PETS Prevent Excess Through Sterilization thrift store in my town once a week. I wait on customers, count change, price items and interact with many people. It is a very busy store so I am happy and on top of the demands this volunteer activity entails. I am grateful to be part of an organization that helps people with pet overpopulation.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP