Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 113

Good morning! This concludes "Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace" with AARP Expert Laurie McCann (@lmccann58). Special thanks to all who contributed their personal stories and sought advice during the session. And to Laurie for all of her time and attention and thoughtful expert advice over the last couple of weeks (and for staying on an extra day to get through all the questions!).

Please visit the AARP Work & Jobs forum any time to talk and share with your peers. To find more information from AARP, visit the Work & Jobs channel on AARP.org.

Thanks again and we look forward to your continued participation in the forums!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 113

BettyS487482,

I am so sorry to hear this! If you learn of additional information that suggests age may have been a factor in your termination, and you want to challenge it, don't lose sight of the important time limitations for filing a charge of age discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Charges must be filed within 180 or 300 days of the alleged discriminatory action, depending on the state. I admire your positive attitude and wish you luck going forward.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 113

LisaB692781,

I am so sorry to learn of your frustration in finding a new job after your injury. There is useful information for older job seekers at https://www.aarp.org/work/job-search/?intcmp=FTR-LINKS-JOBRES-JOB-EWHERE. I hope you find a rewarding position soon. It sounds like you have a lot to offer.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 113

timh992231,

I am so sorry to hear that you were laid off in what sounds like an age-based reduction-in-force. Unfortunately, charges of age discrimination must be filed no more than 300 days after the alleged discriminatory act, so too much time has passed for you to challenge the layoff. Although waivers of rights and claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), must meet strict requirements to be lawful, in your case, the passage of time would be the principal roadblock to challenging the RIF.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 113

CathyA268424,

AARP is very aware of - and very concerned about - the trend of employers requiring applicants to be "digital natives." We have testified to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency charged with enforcing the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), that the term "digital native" is clearly age-based and can be used to unreasonably and thus unlawfully screen out older applicants. Thank you for raising this important issue and best wishes in your job search.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 113

WebWiseWoman,

What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 113

More than 35 years of successfully building businesses. And each better than previous. Yet hear all the time someone has more experience. More experience than being the reason Square D was bought by Schneider. MPC was bought by Woodward. WebPlan bought by Kenexis. And raised two companies of my own and sold them. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 113

I never felt my age was of any consequence until this past weekend.  I most always am scheduled to work weekends, and this past weekend my manager requested to talk to me before leaving for my shift.  I was told that my position was being eliminated and was given a 2 week notice and that I would receive a severance package.  I was told by the manager I was dependable, did a good job, was kind and patient, but was told it was a business decision.  The only thing I can think that it must be my age.  I can honestly say I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life.  I am retired and a part time worker.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 113
I understand. Follow your gut and go the EEOC route , if a company retaliate that additional evidence you can use against them.
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 113

I had a rotator cuff tear in 2004. It has healed. But I cannot get hired. And there's not ghat many hospitals here in Hot Springs. I have gone back to ask for 

90 days let me show you what I can do. If not acceptable. Then I will leave but if I'm ok you have to hire me. NO. 59 at the time. I had 24 yrs in Operating Room. Yes I deserve the bigger bucks. I have a degree in this. But still won't let me in because they can get a 23 yr old for 1/3 of my cost. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors