Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 31 of 113

Hi Laura:

Is there a statue of limitations on filing an age discrimination suit?  It occured in 2015.  I retired bec ause they were going to terminate me after 33 years.  I did not dispute the issue at that time.  I did not want to lose my pension benefits. I went back to school.  changed my career.  new kid on the block.  no one wants to hire me.  despite my skills.   I have the skills and intelligence.  No networking mentor to help me.  Or that wants to help me.  I read this months AARP Bulletin and it prompted me to research.  The Article was so on point regarding ageisim discrimination.  We bring much wisdom to the corporations.  along with integrity, accountability, flexible, ontime, and dependable. 

THERESA PHILLIPS
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 113

smcdowellsmith,

I am shocked by the news story you shared. That is a horrible - almost unbelievable - example of age discrimination. However, since it's not an employment situation, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) is not applicable. I think the best response would be public outrage and protest directed at both the offending congregation but also the national headquarters of the Methodist church. I hope justice prevails.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 113

TamaraH570525,

AARP agrees with you on both counts. Several states have passed laws prohibiting employers from asking job applicants about current or past salaries. AARP supports such laws and policies and our Connecticut state office was instrumental in getting such legislation passed in 2018.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 113

BRAVO!  I am thrilled to see someone else write about facts in the workplace.  The younger generations that seem to think they got one over on us "older than dirt" when we are in our late 40's and 50's need to realize they may be getting jobs because they are cheaper labor and make ones within company look good because OF THEIR lack of experience due to their age and level of maturity, I am a divorcee in my 50's and you would think we are back near the cave times that a woman cannot have a job without a man she is going home to to clean his toilet and wash his clothes.  Wonder what REALM of discrimination that would be labeled in.  Some of the younger generations like to talk to older genreations on the jobs like we are punks in a schoolyard but run to us like they need their diapers changed when their disrespectful mouths and lazy ways catch up tp them and they are on verge of loosing their jobs.  Wonder how they treat their own parents and God help their parents if they were ever disabled with children like that on the job that are what we refer to as adults.  And let's venture into those 30's and early 40 year olds.  At that age I was raising kids, running a home and working one job if I was lucky not fussing about a pair of shoesI didn't get or the latest hottie in the office wasn't paying me enough attention even though I have the wedding ring on. You know one of those conversations between an employee and a member of HR or maybe even the President of the Company.  It is a doggie eat doggie world out there now and I reload everytime I need to when it comes to threatening peoples' jobs if you don't see and do things their way,  You know do as I tell you to do even if it is wrong.  Are they openly burning the constitutional and civil rights these days or pooping on them and filming it and posting on youtube.com likeI saw the American Flag being done on youtube.com by what appeared to be a black person years ago?  What's law to them?  What's law to us?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 113

I'm sorry this happened to you. I was over disciplined on a job and my health went bad. I quit. Now I work several part time, work as you please Job's mostly through apps that makes life harder. I used my retirement savings and this hurts. I'm 56 I'm scared. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 113
AND PREVIOIS SALARY SHOULD ALSO BE PROHIBITED.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 113
Sad but true, I have reached out to our elected officials . They ask for my vote now they need to earn their check. They should be working for the people . Call Senator Dick Durbin, Tammy Duckworth, Robin Kelly. Bobby Rush, and your alderman and tell them they need to STOP THIS? You can also send a email as proof that you reached out to them so when they want to be re-elected you can tell them your experience. Sorry you had to sell your home , your alderman could have offered solutions that you were unaware of (ex:Illinois Hardest Hit and other programs). Good Luck to you , make our officials aware of your circumstances .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 113

Ok, how about this -My boss was talking to me and said that he didn't think I could do the job anymore because of all the heavy lifting, long hours and intense deadlines.

I knew what he was getting at and felt like this is my escape to leave this unit.  I worked at a private school as a chef. I had the opportunity to leave and go to another unit where I would not have to do catering, long hours, family fairs which is working around the clock,no night time hours, no week ends and no extra jobs added on.

When, I told him the next day, I'll be leaving for the new unit- he was in total shock! He couldn't say a thing. I walked away. Now, It's his turn to know how I felt by working all the time, everyday.

When, I came back to visit him, he told me he's losing money big time and he doesn't know how he can fix it.  I just smiled and said " That's nice" and walked away.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 113

Ms. McCann:

This is about age discrimination at church.  I know this is off topic, but I did not see anywhere else to post this.  I read an article online tonight that is really bothering me.  A Minnesota Methodist Church has told the elderly members to leave.  They want to start a church with younger people that will bring in more members.  This is the most appalling thing I have read in a long time especially coming from a church.  I have posted the link below.  I just think the leaders of this church should be held accountable for this hurtful action.  Is there anything that can be done about this.

Sarah Smith

https://www.wral.com/struggling-minnesota-church-asks-older-members-to-go-away/18902577/

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 113

It is.

Kudos
Views
cancel