Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 121 of 298

OK. What follows is a typical example for y'all from a job ad posted today. It's listed under the heading: EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Can you spot the discriminatory language?

Three (3) to five (5) years of experience developing regulated enrollee materials for a managed care organization or health insurance company is highly preferred.

Source: https://tinyurl.com/y929mkfe

Now just how many people are out there with exactly "3-5 years of experience" in any sort of work. I'd think that's a mighty small pool.  Or are they typically able to easily find just such an animal? 

Have any companies gotten in trouble for posting this sort of requirement, given that it's thinly veiled ageism?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 298

Not sure which questions you need the most help with, but I’ll make a stab with this:

Do you have teenage or older kids?  They can be very honest critics if you ask their opinions, and often when you don’t ask. Ask a neighbor, sister, or good friend you trust. Even a husband will give his honest opinion if you assure him it won’t hurt your feelings. Or, if you have a recent photo of yourself on FaceBook or can post one, take an honest, critical look as though you were meeting someone for the first time. What do you think? I have done that and was shocked at how fat and frumpy I looked.

It’s pretty obvious you have run down-looking shoes if you care enough to pay attention. I have an acquaintance who is a sweet talented person but her shoes are a disgrace and they make her walk “old”. A snazzy pair of shoes will make your whole outfit look more stylish, trust me! And if you can stand a bit of a heel, the heeled shoes will make you walk differently than if you are wearing flats because you have to pick up your feet and you can’t shuffle. Practice walking in them in front of a mirror if you need to. 

A coat or jacket that needs pressing, brushing or cleaning should be obvious to you if you’re paying attention. 

Go to a good ladies shop, try on something a little out of your comfort zone and ask a clerk for an opinion. You don’t necessarily have to buy anything, but you can get some new perspectives. Very important—unless you already have the toned figure of a goddess, get yourself some shapewear and a good bra—they wiill make you stand up straighter and you will look slimmer and younger instantly.

Go to Sephora or Ulta and have your make up done. Although you may not want the full magilla makeup for work, you can learn some new tricks. Or there are some great videos on u-Tube that demonstrate makeup and hairstyles for mature women designed to make you look younger. Treat yourself by going to a really good salon and ask a stylist for honest advice on hair styles. An up-to-date hairstyle will do wonders.

You may discover a new you!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 298

Good points, m193321f.  Question: How can I get good, reliable feedback to get answers to those questions?  It's not possible to be completely self-aware about all those questions. We need second opinions.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 298

LauraR90132: Can you please be more specific? We can't begin to help if we don't know exactly what happened & who exactly ignored you & did nothing.

When a govt. agency "does nothing" in response to your complaint, it's time to contact the office of the elected official who represents you -- state rep., rep in US Congress, etc.  I've done that with very good results most of the time. Those govt offices work for you & it's your elected official's JOB to remind them of that. They can, and do, often cut thru red tape like it's butter.  It's called "constituent services" & at the federal & state level there's always someone in the elected official's office whose specific job it is to handle exactly these kinds of complaints. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 298

I‘m not saying age discrimination isn’t out there, but have to comment that  people who feel they were discriminated against because of age might want to ask themselves if being turned down or let go could be attributed to some behavior they aren’t thinking about and could change, such as:

1. Very important! You have to proofread your work—you can’t rely entirely on spellcheck . . . (Judging by some of the comments here, people are not doing either one.) Maybe you need a brush up on English usage or keyboarding. If you are not getting responses from your resume, keep in mind HR recruiters don’t look twice at resumes or applications that are full of bad spelling or poor usage.

2. When you go for an interview are you dressing “old”? Maybe you need to rethink your appearance. Do you need to borrow a sharp suit or outfit or go to a resale shop if you can’t afford something new and current, and look at every day on the job as the day you could be called into a meeting with your manager or the CEO. Don’t let your appearance slide, ever!

3. Are you walking in for an interview or to your job standing or walking straight, neatly groomed, clean and confident?  Or are you schlumping in with run-over heels, spotted or unbrushed coat or jacket, wrinkled and lumpy-looking?

4. How is your demeanor and attitude on the job? Are you complaining about your arthritis, bad back or sore feet? Are you in a grumpy mood?  Do you act and appear to be old and tired? 

5. Are you still interested and interesting? Are you ready to take on new projects? Do you show an eagerness to learn? How willingly do you embrace change?

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 298

@LauraR90132, me too, that is when I changed tactics. Fortunatly for me I am now too old to care.  I was looking for a 6 month job and landed a 5 year one instead.  I am ready to retire. I never thought I would be a late retiree.  I don't mind working but I hate looking for one.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 298

I have made formal complaints and am ignored by all.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 298

I have tried through work and then government agencies. THEY DONT CARE AND DONT DO ANYTHING!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 298

Currently back on the market after being riffed with age discrimination reasoning by current employer, but am finding that many of the telephone first contact interviews are skyped and they want to see what you look like and how old you are before any other transaction or discussion. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 298
JanD8627: REPORT THEM TO EEOC!
Kudos
Views