Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 131 of 298
RossS320399 & Imccann58,

YES! We *must* TAKE INITIATIVE & REPORT age discrimination! Even if we think it's "useless" or "hopeless" or there's "no point" or "no evidence". Let OTHERS determine that!

I have little patience for hopelessness and those who throw in the towel before even fighting. The more we sit back, give up & take it, the more they will & do discriminate! Do NOT prove stereotypes about workers over 50 correct -- the stereotypes that assume we "don't have enough energy" or are "too set" in our ways or too "beaten down by life" to care anymore.

When you give up like this, you do nobody any favors.

Think it's too much work? Well, YES, it IS work. People don't keep or get their rights by sitting at home & wringing their hands. Become part of the solution. By doing nothing & giving up without trying (perhaps incorrectly assuming "there's no use") you help *maintain* the status quo -- the problem of age discrimination.

If you doubt that the efforts of just a few can change things, just look at the #MeToo movement.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 298

RossS320399,

Unfortunately, you are not alone.  AARP research shows that very few people who experience or witness age discrimination file a formal complaint. This is one of the reasons AARP continues to challenge decisions that increase the evidentiary hurdles age discrimination victims face.  Too many individuals already believe that it would be futile to complain and that must change.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 298
Even when you think there's "no hope" it can be worth reporting. For example, if others have complained of the same thing, that could help EEOC build a case.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 298

I applied for a job as a cad draftsman with a local company several years ago. It was an advertised position. I had a telephone interview and a face to face interview. I had years of experience, since 1978, so experience wasn't an issue. After about a week or two, I called the company to check on the status of my interview. I was told they were looking to put together a "younger and more dynamic team". Because I was told this over the phone and not in writing I didn't have proof of age discrimination so I didn't report it. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 298

@JanD8627, I do not fill out job applications that ask illegal questions.  I do report them.  I lie over the phone.  If they try to take me to court over lying they will lose and I think I will get a settlement.  Just making trouble and making them pay for it all is good enough for me. 

If they get a bad reputation with the labor board that will hurt them down the road.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 298

Everytime I go online to a job search site to fill out a job application they ask me what year I graduated from High School and my year is not an option! Lately I've been getting calls from so called Employment agencies they ask me the same question, get the answer and then HANG UP!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 137 of 298

Well, Mercy sounds smarter than a shister corp.  They will lose if any case goes to court and that gives them a strike with the labor board. That is very stupid. If the labor board thinks your company is apt to do wong doing you can lose cases without even going to court. That is what you need to prevent.

It they require you to put thant information in a job application, I don't applay and report them to Equal Opportunity. They never did anything about any of those companies since I saw the form again after a few years and it had not changed.

I was very well informed about this when I was a dept head in a Teamster company.  I won 10 out of 10 cases against the shop steward.  I knew what won and what lost in courts and made sure I was extra fair. I made sure the closing notes contanied the persidance for my action.  I even got to test workers for the foreman position.  It met all the guidelines for an acceptable test then some.  I needed that because we were opening up another distillary almost a mile by bike.  The old timers had the seniorirty so they all picked the new more simple to operate stillhouse.  The old stillhouse was very confusing and dangerous.  The test was made of possible dellemas a foreman could face. Most were real cases.  Half came from the foremen. They pushed the test through. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 298

I am experiencing age discrimination right now.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 298

If the company you are working for IS requiring you to put down some dates WITH the year and they want you to put down the year you graduated from school, then they are certianly in the wrong.  They know it's against the law to make you say what year you graduated from.  At Mercy, we would never pull any stunt like that.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: AGE

Message 140 of 298

I know 2 persons who used that tactic.  One gave up after 3 years the other died jobless after 6 years.  They both averaged only 1 interview a year. They were both managers.  They have a longer shelf life than many job positions.  IT changes from 25% to 35% every year.  In computer programming you are concidered washed up in one year but all IT you are concidered worthless after 3 since most of what you know and your experiance is obsolite.  I know someone in this field trying to find a job in his field for 5 years then became a laboror.

I suspect if you have valuable skills that no one has the fact that you are too old and way too stale doesn't mean much.  That is where we are with the job market tighter than it has been this century. When I landed this job the market was so tight being too old and being ignorant enough to advertise it over expert advice advising not to.  It wasn't so much about your age as your stupidity as I learned.  No one wants a stupid programmer. The actual last say wasn't worried as much about your age as the hiring staff.  If you could talk the last say person into hiring you you were hired.  Once I made it into the face to face interview I was never turned away.  My experiance was too good to not interview me.  I suspect I did the best interview for each job opening and I got conformation from time to time even if I didn't get the job.  Once a program manager started giving me hiring information.  She had been in all the interviews said she didn't have the last say but no one came close to my interview.  Then she paused and said well there was one other who clearly was next best and the rest were missfits compared to us. The distant second got the job.  Why interviewing the old guy became apparent about a week later.  I was called back they were having trouble with the first pick and I was asked if I was still available.  They saw nothing wrong with me they just wanted a younger person.  I suspect the other guy got a handsome counter offer and the new job had to overcome that.

I have an expansive job seeking network after on and off job hunting for over a decade.  You are the first person I have heard of that was hired using this tactic out of several dozen persons. I suspect you were exactly what they were looking for in a hard to match position. I suspect you would have been hired if you lied or at least been unobvious about your ade but you would have 'waisted' lots of time going to interviews where they would never hire an old person.  You would have gotten much more interviewing practice. I never advertised a lie but if pressed by a staffing manager I would lie.  I never lied in the face to face interview.  That always came up after my credentialls were validated.  For a computer programmer that process is always extensive to crazy extensive. I have been asked hundreds of questions taking hours.  I have 2 cheat sheets I use for cramming for these ordeals one is 40 pages and the other is 60 pages.  I have every question I have ever been asked at an interview on that sheet.  Having been to over 100 interviews I have quite a selection. My job is often to do the impossible so getting around obsticals is only proof of my skill.  I sold it that way.  I was never condemed for showing initiative and resorsefulness.  I believed it was always seen as a positive not a negitive. In the last case my positives out weighed that I was too old for the job.  You will always need to prove that soundly.  

Today the job market is more open and it is more likely someone too old but with excelent credentials CAN get a job.  Whether you want to advertise that is your choice.  Remember you are advertising that you do not follow expert advice.  Can you sell that as desirable? 

Kudos
Views